Jump to content
henryb

Affinity Photo has stopped saving directly back into Mac OS Photos!!

Recommended Posts

Hi henryb,
The Edit With command issue is known for some time yes, the macOS Catalina issue (point 2) is a new and has (apparently) limited even more the workflow between the two apps (macOS Catalina and Apple Photos have both introduced quite a few changes/new features) - as said above we are still investigating what's going on and hope to have both issues fixed as soon as possible. We are sorry for all the trouble this is causing you all unfortunately i can't give you any eta regarding a possible fix until both issues are correctly diagnosed/causes identified. Thanks for understanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi henryb,
The Edit With command issue is known for some time yes, the macOS Catalina issue (point 2) is a new and has (apparently) limited even more the workflow between the two apps (macOS Catalina and Apple Photos have both introduced quite a few changes/new features - as said above we are still investigating what's going on and hope to have both issues fixed as soon as possible. We are sorry for all the trouble this is causing you all unfortunately i can't give you any eta regarding a possible fix until both issues are correctly diagnosed/causes identified. Thanks for understanding.

In Mojave, it's not JUST the right-click edit with "path" that doesn't save back into Photos - it's ALSO the alternate method you suggested (via the ellipsis button) that doesn't work most times. So, we should probably expect a fix in the next decade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi henryb,
The "alternate" method (the ellipsis icon, using the Edit in Affinity Photo extension) does work for most users (i believe) in Mojave. A few users have reported that it was failing for them - some because they have moved the application from the root of the applications folder to somewhere else (usually a subfolder), and a few others for which we still don't know the cause - that's what we are trying to diagnose/discover. I've bumped our report and i'm bringing this up to devs attention in the hope to get some feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Error Message in OS X Catalina Console 

Failed to save content editing output <PHContentEditingOutput: 0x6000033c7340> adjustmentData=<PHAdjustmentData: 0x600000e7c240> identifier=com.seriflabs.affinityphoto version=1.0 data=0x6000000124c0 (0), renderedContentURL=file:///var/folders/my/r72_4p2x53j2c171rt68_t_00000gq/T/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto.AffinityExtension/RenderedContent-3EF0BC90-7FDE-4B37-947C-C2F30BB912B2.JPG, renderedPreviewContentURL=(null) with error Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=-1 "(null)"

Hope this helps the developer Team to solve the Problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This problem is still outstanding - i.e. I cannot save back into the Mac Photos app (Catalina, MBP) photos which I have edited in Affinity Photo. This has become a useless app for me now so have abandoned it in favour of Pixelmator - which does exactly what I want

Photo148302656_Screenshot2019-10-25at10_43_15.thumb.jpg.8e91ca33771acfff488689fd0f6cbb08.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm also facing this situation because the photo cannot be saved on a memory card, but directly saved in the internal memory of the OS. Make the operating system full of memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi gripp and nganhoboi,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
We are sorry for the inconvenience this is causing to our users. This issue is logged and being looked at. We hope to  have it fixed soon.

Is this AP problem or combination or Apple upgrades?  The reason I ask, external USB drive is not recognized by AP or Apples Files app.


Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

 

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Cecil,
On desktop, Affinity Photo already had issues with Apple Photos in Mojave (with the Edit With command), the extension (Edit in Affinity Photo) however was working fine for most users. With the introduction of macOS Catalina things become more complicated because it has broken the extension functionality as well so currently there's no direct way to switch files between the two (of course you can always export the files from Apple Photos - as originals - and import on Affinity Photo manually for editing...)

Regarding the external USB drive question you seem to be referring to the iPad version since you mentioned Apples Files. I haven't checked/tested the workflow between the two apps on iOS 13 yet. Will have to take a look at it too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously, is this even being worked on? Luminar 3 have it fixed by now, and Pixelmator have no problem with it either. Im talking about editing and saving directly into Photos. I have two options, wait for your fix unless its something that might take months(?) to fix or move back to Lightroom again. Any ETA for a fix? I need this working now, preferably yesterday.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Cecil,
On desktop, Affinity Photo already had issues with Apple Photos in Mojave (with the Edit With command), the extension (Edit in Affinity Photo) however was working fine for most users. With the introduction of macOS Catalina things become more complicated because it has broken the extension functionality as well so currently there's no direct way to switch files between the two (of course you can always export the files from Apple Photos - as originals - and import on Affinity Photo manually for editing...)

Regarding the external USB drive question you seem to be referring to the iPad version since you mentioned Apples Files. I haven't checked/tested the workflow between the two apps on iOS 13 yet. Will have to take a look at it too.

MEB,

I appreciate your responses and that Affinity Photo team is working on this.  However, the export, edit and import really isn't much of an answer.  That is possible with Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Pixelmator Pro, Lightroom and any number of photo editing software packages.  The point of differentiation with Affinity Photos is the ability to have full Affinity launched from within Apple Photos, do all the edits, including layers and the full suite of tools and having those changes saved back to Apple Photos.  When the "save loop" is broken, it makes Affinity much less of a useful tool.  Fortunately, I have been able to revert to Mojave which worked on my Mac.  However, sooner or later, moving to Catalina or whatever comes next will become a necessity.  It seems like something that should have been caught during beta testing.

 

I really like Affinity Photo and have invested a considerable amount of time and energy learning the software and really don't want to spend an equal amount of time learning something new.  Also, "no eta" on a fix isn't really much of an answer either.  It could mean it's right around the corner or there is no intention from the Affinity Team to fix it ever.  For those of us who have invested in this software and the time to learn it, I think we deserve a better and more definitive answer from Affinity.

 

Thanks,

Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jeff, HenkeJ,
The manual export/import wasn't intended as a direct answer/fix to these issues - it's not. It's just a last resort/suggestion in case some users reading this thread need access to photos stored in Apple Photos. I'm aware my answer(s) aren't much helpful for those waiting for this to get fixed but i can't really provide any more (concise) info until i get some feedback/confirmation from the dev team or a new Beta to check/test it myself. I understand this is an important feature for Mac users - it was already brought up to dev team's attention quite a few times - however it wasn't possible to fix it yet. They are doing their best to get to the bottom of the issue. My apologies for the delays and frustration this is causing. Thanks for understanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jeffnles1 said:

"no eta" on a fix isn't really much of an answer either.  It could mean it's right around the corner or there is no intention from the Affinity Team to fix it ever.  For those of us who have invested in this software and the time to learn it, I think we deserve a better and more definitive answer from Affinity.

 

Thanks,

Jeff

EXACTLY!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Jeff, HenkeJ,
The manual export/import wasn't intended as a direct answer/fix to these issues - it's not. It's just a last resort/suggestion in case some users reading this thread need access to photos stored in Apple Photos. I'm aware my answer(s) aren't much helpful for those waiting for this to get fixed but i can't really provide any more (concise) info until i get some feedback/confirmation from the dev team or a new Beta to check/test it myself. I understand this is an important feature for Mac users - it was already brought up to dev team's attention quite a few times - however it wasn't possible to fix it yet. They are doing their best to get to the bottom of the issue. My apologies for the delays and frustration this is causing. Thanks for understanding.

Thanks,

Please do keep us posted.

Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've posted before that I've found a workaround for saving back to Photos in Catalina but I'll post it again.

Go to the App Store and download External Editors for Photos. It's free and hasn’t been updated for ages but I can assure you that it works. Once it's installed put it at the top of your edit list for Photos Edit, as well as having Affinity in the edit list too. However don't select Affinity there but click on External Editors and choose Affinity from inside that box. Then edit as much as you want and I guarantee that every photo will be saved back to Photos complete with all your edits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting  though that this app.  stilll works as developed “ages” ago (I was one of the first time users) and the Affinity team  isn’t able sofar to work this out  ?. I guess it’s because it’s supposed to save the history of edits as well in stead of creating a ‘baked” in result as the external editors app does. However there are some other app’s that do this very well, like oN1 and RawPower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I purchased this app this am for 0.99 US cents.  My first try, I successfully made change to Apple Photo, saved the change, and it simply worked.  MacOS Catalina 10.15.1.

Hats off to rwakeford for the app tip.  I did not have to drag the editor up, the app ask if I wanted to make Affinity Photo the default app, I ticked yes.


Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

 

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2019 at 3:32 PM, Cecil said:

I purchased this app this am for 0.99 US cents.  My first try, I successfully made change to Apple Photo, saved the change, and it simply worked.  MacOS Catalina 10.15.1.

Hats off to rwakeford for the app tip.  I did not have to drag the editor up, the app ask if I wanted to make Affinity Photo the default app, I ticked yes.

Not working as nice working with RAW files though so not an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HenkeJ said:

Not working as nice working with RAW files though so not an option.

I was able to open and develop RAW file, unable to save changes to Apple Photos.  I could do so on non-RAW photos.  99 cents, oh well. 


Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

 

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.