Steps

Problems with TrueType font "Bahnschrift"

Bahnschrift is a standard font for Windows 10 since Fall Creators Update and I really like it.

Unfortunately it can't be used correctly with Publisher as all font styles are detected as "Regular".

Other fonts seem to work properly.

bahnschrift.png

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1809). Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 16 GB memory, NVidia GTX 780
Affinity Publisher Beta 1.7.0.221

Bahnschrift is a variable font, a relatively new kind of font which is not yet supported by the Affinity apps. At present we can only use typefaces where there is a separate font file for each style.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.12.86 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.2 (iPad Air 2)

Ok, this means even Affinity Photo does not support that? Nice to know.

This surprises me as my copy of Photoshop Elements 12 seems to have no problem with that.

I hope devs are aware of this problem and work on that.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1809). Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz, 16 GB memory, NVidia GTX 780

2 hours ago, Steps said:

This surprises me as my copy of Photoshop Elements 12 seems to have no problem with that.

This, in turn, surprises me! My copy of Photoshop Elements 13 offers me ‘Bahnschrift Regular’ instead of ‘Bahnschrift’, and the dropdown list for the style is disabled.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.12.86 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.2 (iPad Air 2)

8 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

This, in turn, surprises me. My copy of Photoshop Elements 13 offers me ‘Bahnschrift Regular’ instead of ‘Bahnschrift’, and the dropdown list for the style is disabled.

Oh, yes, you are absolutely right.

I did not notice a problem because somehow the buttons for making the font bold or italic work.

But now I figure out it's not really the bold version of the font, but PSE does some magic with it.

Comparing "Arial Bold" with "Arial Regular" and the bold button deliver different results.

The difference between PSE 12 and Publisher is that Publisher disabled the
"Character Traits" for "Bold" and "Italic" for some reason.

Ok. Affinity is not that bad. I take back my rant. ;-)

Thought I'd jump in with my 10 cents worth here. My version of MainType (Pro 7.0) doesn't like Bahnschrift one little bit and consistently wants to remove it from the registry. The error being—Installed, but not loaded. 

From what I understand it's a system font that's pertains to Windows 10. 

Assumably it's broken and Microsoft can't be bothered fixing it! It can't be uninstalled.  

https://www.peterdinnan.com/     photography with elements of mood, abstraction, pareidolia, gestalt and the morphics

I spent a few minutes searching now if someone may have converted Bahnschrift to good old non-variable TTF files, but no luck so far. :-(

20 minutes ago, Steps said:

Oh, yes, you are absolutely right.

I did not notice a problem because somehow the buttons for making the font bold or italic work.

But now I figure out it's not really the bold version of the font, but PSE does some magic with it.

Comparing "Arial Bold" with "Arial Regular" and the bold button deliver different results.

The difference between PSE 12 and Publisher is that Publisher disabled the
"Character Traits" for "Bold" and "Italic" for some reason.

Faux bold often doesn’t produce good results, even with a sans-serif font.

Ok. Affinity is not that bad. I take back my rant. 

LOL. :D

1 minute ago, PedroOfOz said:

Thought I'd jump in with my 10 cents worth here. My version of MainType (Pro 7.0) doesn't like Bahnschrift one little bit and consistently wants to remove it from the registry. The error being—Installed, but not loaded. 

From what I understand it's a system font that's pertains to Windows 10. 

Assumably it's broken and Microsoft can't be bothered fixing it! It can't be uninstalled.  

Time to upgrade, perhaps, Peter? MainType 8.0 Pro seems to be quite happy with Bahnschrift on my Windows 10 system.

Alfred online2long.gif

5 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Time to upgrade, perhaps, Peter? MainType 8.0 Pro seems to be quite happy with Bahnschrift on my Windows 10 system.

Oh, it's more likely to be some issue on my Windows 10.

The font is not, and never has been, available to me in any of the apps I use. It just doesn't appear in the font lists. 

As the saying goes 'One doesn't miss what one has never had' ;)

https://www.peterdinnan.com/     photography with elements of mood, abstraction, pareidolia, gestalt and the morphics

In Affinity programs it shows only one weight
In XaraDesignerPro it shows all weights.
Maybe use the google font source sans pro as alternative

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1809)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

Devs, i support for variable fonts somewhere on your roadmap?

On 12/6/2018 at 12:31 PM, Steps said:

I spent a few minutes searching now if someone may have converted Bahnschrift to good old non-variable TTF files, but no luck so far. :-(

FontLab has a feature to quickly export all the defined weight/width combos of a variable font.
It worked great ... except that the font names were completely wacko.
Fixed the font names in TransType.

Three widths: Condensed, SemiCondensed, and Normal.
Five weights: Light, SemiLight, Regular, SemiBold, and Bold.
Total of 15 font files (in file below).

I installed and tested in LibreOffice. All seem to be working OK.

Please test in APub and report back here.

1840780633_LibreOfficeFontFamilyTests-FOSSFonts-BahnschriftLO-300dpi.thumb.png.3f24cf7e80c9f9e6ac37c9eaeb15b9d6.png

Bahnschrift LO.7z

@LibreTraining Thank you so much, you are great!

This works in Publisher. I can use it now. They look as in your test page. Really nice work!

Until Affinity supports variable fonts I think you helped a lot of people with that! :)

53 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@Jon P

Please add this improvement to the database,as without it the font cannot be used properly, exposing the bug in the screenshot.

The misbehaviour seems to be specific to Windows:

Alfred online2long.gif

1 hour ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

Bahnschrift looks like a copy of DIN.

Probably because that’s exactly what it is! It’s Microsoft’s digitization of DIN 1451 as an OpenType variable font.

Alfred online2long.gif

I think it might be useful if a moderator pinned a note about this to the top of the forum.

It could help to stop this issue from being posted repeatedly, or as much.

It doesn’t need to say much more than: “Variable fonts – such as Bahnschrift – aren’t supported yet.”, maybe with a list of well-used fonts that people can search for to get to the post itself.

On 12/12/2018 at 1:34 AM, LibreTraining said:

FontLab has a feature to quickly export all the defined weight/width combos of a variable font.
It worked great ... except that the font names were completely wacko.
Fixed the font names in TransType.

Three widths: Condensed, SemiCondensed, and Normal.
Five weights: Light, SemiLight, Regular, SemiBold, and Bold.
Total of 15 font files (in file below).

I installed and tested in LibreOffice. All seem to be working OK.

Please test in APub and report back here.

1840780633_LibreOfficeFontFamilyTests-FOSSFonts-BahnschriftLO-300dpi.thumb.png.3f24cf7e80c9f9e6ac37c9eaeb15b9d6.png

Bahnschrift LO.7z

Reinstallation of windows, was sure I had this file, but cant find it back... Your link is not working anymore. Is it possible to reupload the file? Thanks so much!

52 minutes ago, JeroenK said:

Reinstallation of windows, was sure I had this file, but cant find it back... Your link is not working anymore. Is it possible to reupload the file? Thanks so much!

The above was from v1.00.
Current version is v2.01.
Need to redo. MS cleaned-up alot.
On my phone right now.
Will send you a PM in a few hours.