You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher doesn't like Moby Dick in columns

If I create a new Publisher document, drag out a text box, set the number of columns to 2, then open the text of Moby Dick from the web (http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2701/2701-0.txt), select all and copy the text from the browser, then paste into the text box, Publisher crashes.

It does not crash if the number of columns is left at one, but if I then increase the column count to 2 after pasting the text, that also crashes.

The text opens in whatever amount of columns in Apple’s Pages (2 columns, 280 pages) in a very short time.

In InDesign it need hours to import the file (I stopped it after 10 min. and 15 imported pages.

Affinity Publisher crashes, when this text is imported in 2 columns.

Bug in Publisher? Glitch in the source text? No idea. I never ever had the idea to import a 1,2 MB text file into a layout application. Spit the source text into pieces and it should work.

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

If I create a new Publisher document, drag out a text box, set the number of columns to 2, then open the text of Moby Dick from the web (http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2701/2701-0.txt), select all and copy the text from the browser, then paste into the text box, Publisher crashes.

It does not crash if the number of columns is left at one, but if I then increase the column count to 2 after pasting the text, that also crashes.

I wonder if it has something to do with the copy and paste from the browser. I don't get this crash after following your recipe. I am using Safari what browser are you using. There could also be a problem with the various 'æ' characters and whatever Paragraph Style/Font you are using.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, mac_heibu said:

The text opens in whatever amount of columns in Apple’s Pages (2 columns, 280 pages) in a very short time.

In InDesign it need hours to import the file (I stopped it after 10 min. and 15 imported pages.

Affinity Publisher crashes, when this text is imported in 2 columns.

Bug in Publisher? Glitch in the source text? No idea. I never ever had the idea to import a 1,2 MB text file into a layout application. Spit the source text into pieces and it should work.

Doesn't crash here.

Publisher has been working fine with text files over 4 MB in size. Places them in well under a minute, drawing the thumbnails for the Pages Studio takes seconds after that, and I am using an under powered machine for this. I do recall years back using InDesign it would choke and stall on large files but I can't say what the upper limit was, it was well under a MB and this was years ago.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

Safari 12.0 under macOS 10.12.6, Publisher beta .145.

I tried it multiple times, with and without margins set on the page, etc.

I just tried copying from Safari to Mellel, then from Mellel to Publisher, same thing.

I then tried it with TextEdit, making sure the TextEdit document was a plain text file, again same thing.

No problem here under Win 10. Importing the MikeW's files took 4 seconds to complete after the "Shift-click" and 8 seconds for "Copy and paste" from the web browser (Edge).

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

10 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Safari 12.0 under macOS 10.12.6, Publisher beta .145.

I tried it multiple times, with and without margins set on the page, etc.

I just tried copying from Safari to Mellel, then from Mellel to Publisher, same thing.

I then tried it with TextEdit, making sure the TextEdit document was a plain text file, again same thing.

..."Safari 12.0 under macOS 10.12.6, Publisher beta .145."...

Exact same here. Never heard of Meliel... but TextEdit gives me a good result. Have you tried downloading the text file and importing that? I get no difference using copy and paste or importing.

What Paragraph style and what font are you using?

Finally ...

In the immortal words of Roy from The IT Crowd "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

I tried downloading the text file and right-clicking a text box in Publisher to insert text from file.  It takes noticeably longer to insert the text that way, but I can add a second column without it crashing if I take that approach.

So it does seem to be some strange interaction in how Safari is formatting the text or something, but this still shouldn't crash Publisher.

No problems here too with ID (1 col) and APub (2 col), inserting or pasting text from the first text file or the file from Guntenberg's site displayed in Firefox. I'm on Win 7.

It take few seconds and most of the memory is used by Firefox zillion tabs I've got opened :)

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

So it does seem to be some strange interaction in how Safari is formatting the text or something, but this still shouldn't crash Publisher.

All I can suggest is to use the Font Book application and look for duplicates and then check the 'health' of the fonts by selecting all of them and running File > Validate Fonts... it has to be something because it was consistent for you.

Hi, I got MD from the German site, one chapter, and set it to a book with 2 col. That works, first page (left), 2. page. But I don´t find the way to bring it to the 3. p. There was a frame: APu is crashed, but it did not happen.

http://gutenberg.spiegel.de/buch/-8065/18

all Aff 2.2: Capture One+ 23 pro; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.15.7,  Fuji X-Pro2 

Works for me too.

Copied MD text from a Web page (Safari) and pasted straight into a 2 column text box. Autoflowed the rest to 790 pages. It took less than a second.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Seems that Old Bruce might be on to something... some of my fonts are coming up as duplicates but with no indication of where the duplicates are.  Not sure how to interpret my results yet but there could be something strange going on in fontland.  I will need to dig into this more closely when I have some time to play with it.  A few other fonts that I can't imagine being remotely relevant are showing some table problems (some of these are application-specific fonts installed by music notation software and the like).

43 minutes ago, fde101 said:

(some of these are application-specific fonts installed by music notation software and the like).

Those can cause a whole world of pain. If you can set up two accounts on the machine and only have them active on the Music account.

5 hours ago, Sean P said:

I've reproduced this now, and it is caused by having the Text Ruler enabled. Turning this off should allow you to paste the text without it crashing!

Never use that thing, odd that it would do that, although thinking as I type maybe not odd at all... Yes I can see how that would mess up.

We currently believe this has to do with moving the text caret when it is in hidden overflow. I don't think it has to do with rulers, columns, or this specific file.

I also believe the slow import of this specific file is due to us getting its encoding wrong, resulting in lots of characters not defined by the font.

24 minutes ago, Dave Harris said:

We currently believe this has to do with moving the text caret when it is in hidden overflow. I don't think it has to do with rulers, columns, or this specific file.

I also believe the slow import of this specific file is due to us getting its encoding wrong, resulting in lots of characters not defined by the font.

There is some Hebrew and a smattering of æ and suchlike.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.