You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Public Beta (1.1.2.23923)

• Staff

Purpose: Improvements / Fixes

Requirements: None

Mac App Store: Not submitted

New beta sign-ups: https://affinity.serif.com/photo

Update: Run the app to get the link

Features / Improvements / Fixes

- OS X 10.7 crash fixes.
- Font crash fixes.
- Help improvements.
- Refine selection improvements.
- Levels adjustment fixes.
- Black & White adjustment fixes.
- Memory manager improvements.
- Quick mask improvements.
- Support for a localised decimal separator (ie. 10,6)
- PNG import DPI fix (sorry!)
- Minor PS plugin improvements.
- Patch tool improvements.
- Noise reduction improvements.
- Inpainting fixes.
- Selection brush fixes.
- Mesh warp improvements.
- Healing brush and patch tool improvements.
- Bilateral tool performance improvements.
- Translations updated.

Yes, I so look forward to seeing updates. I love Affinity! I'm going to say it here "I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO ADOBE". I also want to let the Affinity team know that I  truly appreciate all of the hard work they are putting into the Affinity Eco-system.  Its truly a great thing.

15"-inch MacBook Pro, 2017, 2.9GHz Intel Core i7 | 16Gb

I noticed there aren't any controls to select the next or previous layer, like in AD and PS. The default keyboard equivalent for those are Opt + [ and Opt + ], and that will ensure that Wacom Intuous tablets with TouchRing feature work out of the box. Thanks for all the amazing work you do!

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Only thing I noticed is on beginning a new file or opening an existing file, my system's entire display color profile shifted (more blue-toned). When I quit the file my color profile seemed to return to normal. A glitch, or is there something new controlling the profile that I'm missing?

Update: I've updated on my work machine, and I'm not having this issue. This may be because my home machine ICC profiles are getting off?

- Support for a localised decimal separator (ie. 10,6)

This! It's the little things, you know… 

Sorry, guys. Thanks but no thanks for *incomplete* and *useless* support for “localised decimal separator”… What good is that for me? I am certainly not switching my UI to spanish or french just to get that, right? This kind of stuff should *not* depend on the users' language settings and, while I'm at it, neither should it be affected by the regional format and measurement unit settings.

Not when Adobe pretty much nailed it already; Affinity products should, besides being able to perform on-the-fly conversions between formats (say, if I paste a value in inches or points into an input field, it does indeed convert the value to whichever unit I'm using by default), recognize something as simple (but not less niggling) as a comma… The fact that it supports the first sets up the expectation that the second should work, and the fact it doesn't, makes the app look amateurish. I mean, for the love of all that is holy and sacred, pop open some Adobe app and see how unit- and region-agnostic they are. And those guys are pretty much the kings of UI/UX inconsistency…

I seriously expected better from you before, and I very much hoped that you got it right the first time you got around to fixing it. The worse kind of disappointment is the one which comes after heightened expecations. And that, my dear friends, includes something, as I said, as tiny as a comma.

[Edit and P.S.: Out of morbid curiosity, I did indeed try to change the UI language to see if I could try the decimal comma separator support, and it *did* indeed work out-of-the-box with both commas *and* periods. I mean, that's the way it should work under all language settings, IMHO. There is 100% benefit and 0% disadvantage for users, much like on Adobe apps… So it seems you are on the right track and I am optimistic you can maybe fix this one in time for the final Designer update RC…]

• Staff

A  few notes about help improvement....

For this build, the Help is only working in a UK locale only unfortunately. Some CSS files and scripts were missing.

Workaround to view:
Create an alias on your desktop to point to:
/Applications/Affinity Photo Beta.app/Contents/Resources/AffinityPhoto.help/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/index.html

Why help improvement? Well the UK version now has the following improvements which will flow through into all languages.

- Help has a new Table of Contents appearance while still maintaining the same book structure. This has a more professional look.
- We've tested and validated the help against Safari (back to version 5.1), Chrome (back to version 30), Firefox (back to version 25).
- Truncated text on window resize should be resolved for OS X Lion/Mountain Lion users. No more scrolling nightmares! 
- Responsive Table of Contents which collapse at smaller window sizes.
- Printing of displayed topic via Printable Version button.

For beta users experiencing problems when scrolling the help window, content disappearing, etc. please have a re-test and reply please. 

Subject to successful beta testing we'll go with this for Photo and implement into Designer from update 1.1.4.

Thanks
Andy Capstick

• Staff

Hi Andy,

Here's my experience with the help in Mavericks:

- I've typed cloning on the search field (top right)

- picked cloning and healing from the suggestions

- all i get is the loading icon in the center of the help page

- then i tried with selection on the search

- picked selection from the suggestions 

- after 3 seconds the topic appeared

- then tried with the word curves

- picked curves from the suggestions

- then tried with the word invert

- picked invert from the suggestions

• Staff

Hi MEB,

Could you try the following in terminal, after closing the help and app down....

killall helpd

rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.help*

rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.help*

..and retry.

Cheers

\Andy

I open the old beta and I'm prompted to update. I click the Download button and I'm taken to the Affinity Designer beta download page. How can I get the Affinity Photo download link if the app's giving the the wrong link and it's not being posted here?

I noticed there aren't any controls to select the next or previous layer, like in AD and PS. The default keyboard equivalent for those are Opt + [ and Opt + ], and that will ensure that Wacom Intuous tablets with TouchRing feature work out of the box. Thanks for all the amazing work you do!

Yeah! Finally someone who takes Wacom tablets into account! Thank you for that!

I really like Affinity Photo and Designer a lot, but using them with a Wacom Tablet is not as intuitive as it is within the Adobe products. I would really appreciate if Serif would study the default driver settings of the Wacom tablets and adjust the shortcuts accordingly.

I can nt download it! When I try to install, I get the message that the file is not compatible with the OSx. I have OSx Yosemite. I have a MacBook Air i5. Any help? Any suggestions? The message actually reads: "affinity+photo+beta.dmg image not recognized." The link brings me back to the forum! I am getting two files the one listed above and this one: "affinity.photo.beta.dmg.part." When I try to install this second file using iUnarchive it tells me this: "Attempted to read more data than was available." Any suggestions, please!

Gene

"A  few notes about help improvement....

For this build, the Help is only working in a UK locale only unfortunately. Some CSS files and scripts were missing.

Workaround to view:
Create an alias on your desktop to point to:
/Applications/Affinity Photo Beta.app/Contents/Resources/AffinityPhoto.help/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/index.html"

Andy - Thanks much for providing this.  No problem getting it to work on my iMac desktop but when I attempt to open this liink in Safari on my iPad 2, it won't open & I get a warning that Safari can't open it because it is a local file.  Have tried unsuccessfully to find ways to launch local files on the iPad but to no avail.  Do you have any suggestions or mods that could be made to this link to permit it to open on an iPad?  I'm also in the US for what its worth.  Thanks again.

Jed Orme

Hey guys, only issue I'm currently having is when using brushes for awhile I occasionally still get switched to the zoom tool and the zoom jumps to a high percentage. It also seems to always bump the current layer's opacity down to 10%. Don't think I'm bumping a shortcut when this is happening—could be wrong. :)

I am having the same issue that @skypanther above is having. The in-app download link takes me to the Affinity Designer Beta forum. The download links posted above by @MEB lead back to this same thread. Is there another download link to update the app and continue using it?

-Thanks

My apologies if reposting my problem offends the decorum of the forum but I need help, really! This is what I wrote before with some additions.

"I can not download the beta! When I try to install, I get the message that the file is not compatible with the OSx. I have OSx Yosemite. I have a MacBook Air i5. Any help? Any suggestions? The message actually reads: "affinity+photo+beta.dmg image not recognized." MEB, The link brings me back to the forum! I am getting two files the one listed above and this one: "affinity.photo.beta.dmg.part." When I try to install this second file using iUnarchive it tells me this: "Attempted to read more data than was available" and it does not  opne the file! Any suggestions, please!" My anticipated thanks for your tolerance,

Gene

• Staff

I am having the same issue that @skypanther above is having. The in-app download link takes me to the Affinity Designer Beta forum. The download links posted above by @MEB lead back to this same thread. Is there another download link to update the app and continue using it?

-Thanks

Hi Sandman88, epinero81,

I'm sorry about the broken links. I'm absolutely sure they were working when i posted them (i'm checking why aren't they working anymore). I have sent a PM with a link to both.

@epinero81

No need to apologise. We are here to help. The file affinity.photo.beta.dmg.part is incomplete. When the files have the "part" suffix attached means they haven't finished downloading. The correct filename is Affinity+Photo+Beta.dmg but seems your first download got corrupted. OS X should recognise the dmg file. Please try to download it again from the link i've sent you through PM. Let me know if you still have trouble.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.