Affinity for Linux

2 minutes ago, Renzatic said:

Turns out none of us were right. The Amiga was the first consumer platform to offer virtual desktops.

The fact that I went out and looked this up makes me feel like a total nerd, and you should be totally ashamed of yourself for doing this to me.

this is the best possible outcome 馃ぃ馃ぃ

Pink Floyd was right. | Windows 10聽路 MacOS 10.14 路聽Arch Linux

Just now, LondonSquirrel said:

Before Xerox?

The Xerox Parc OS wasn't really a consumer product. It cost beaucoup bucks, and was only sold to a select few companies.

...but yeah, you can pretty much trace almost all of modern computing to Xerox Parc.

1 minute ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Finally a constructive comment... Well done. Wine might be the way to get Affinity running on Linux. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

聽we've been talking about wine support from the start. Your self-righteous arrogance seems to have聽 blinded you to the actual discussion going on in between your hot takes.

1 minute ago, LondonSquirrel said:

I know that. I'm refuting the idea that Linux 'invented' virtual desktops, which is entirely untrue.

You could argue it was the first still extant聽OS to offer it. Windows didn't have built in聽support for virtual desktops until Win10, and Apple didn't offer it until, I think, OSX 10.4. Unix did have it before Linux, but since there's so much blending between the 'nix's, it's mostly an academic point.

1 minute ago, ClairelyClaire said:

we've been talking about wine support from the start.

Incorrect. The very first post opening this thread:聽make a version for linux?

The response from Affinity was that it would be possible if they could cover their development costs (by people buying Linux versions).

The next response is somebody suggesting the use of Wine.

The response from Affinity is: 'WINE is a wonderful project, but I don't think it would work for Affinity...'

You may think this thread is about using Affinity apps on Linux with Wine, but it negated in the first few comments on this thread.

1 minute ago, Renzatic said:

You could argue it was the first still extant聽OS to offer it. Windows didn't have built in聽support for virtual desktops until Win10, and Apple didn't offer it until, I think, OSX 10.4. Unix did have it before Linux, but since there's so much blending between the 'nix's, it's mostly an academic point.

聽from Wikipedia:

"Switchable desktops were introduced to a much larger audience by Tom LaStrange in swm (the Solbourne Window Manager, for the X Window System) in 1989."

sooo it came to X... Which drives the Linux desktop environment. 馃う

2 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Incorrect. The very first post opening this thread:聽make a version for linux?

The response from Affinity was that it would be possible if they could cover their development costs (by people buying Linux versions).

The next response is somebody suggesting the use of Wine.

The response from Affinity is: 'WINE is a wonderful project, but I don't think it would work for Affinity...'

You may think this thread is about using Affinity apps on Linux with Wine, but it negated in the first few comments on this thread.

I brought up wine weeks ago. Others have as well. It's been discussed and could have been discussed further, but your need to center the discussion instead on you and your opinion has defeated such potential.

We could discuss it now, but you still need attention, so I guess that's the theme of the thread now.

6 minutes ago, Renzatic said:

I'd heart you, but it looks like reached my daily聽limit of hearts.

聽i used to refer to spaghetti as "abiki" when i was still learning聽 to talk.

聽one day, my brother very snottily corrected me. "it's not abiki, it's PA-SKETTI"

聽can't think for the life of me why that popped into my head just now.

2 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Linux came to the world in 1991... Linux did not bring virtual desktops to the world.聽

You get right down to it, Unix and Linux can just about be considered the same thing, since the later is (or was)聽practically a 1:1 clone of the former. Technically, you're correct, but it's a technicality made through the barest splitting of a single hair.

Just now, Renzatic said:

You get right down to it, Unix and Linux can just about be considered the same thing, since the later is (or was)聽practically a 1:1 clone of the former. Technically, you're correct, but it's a technicality made through the barest splitting of a single hair.

a distinction without a difference.

Just now, ClairelyClaire said:

聽i used to refer to spaghetti as "abiki" when i was still learning聽 to talk.

聽one day, my brother very snottily corrected me. "it's not abiki, it's PA-SKETTI"

聽can't think for the life of me why that popped into my head just now.

If it makes you feel better, I thought a flyswatter was called a flas-water until I was about 10.

1 minute ago, Renzatic said:

If it makes you feel better, I thought a flyswatter was called a flas-water until I was about 10.

i still say "wonton" instead of "wanton" 馃ぃ

Just now, LondonSquirrel said:

A distinction which negates your statement.

nah, your opinion is moo.

1 minute ago, D鈥橳4ils said:

I'd rather stay subscribed to this thread because I'm really interested on a positive outcome regarding Affinity for Linux.

Very good. So I refer you back to the earliest comment from Affinity:聽I won't rule out making a Linux version of Affinity, but I need someone to show me a combination of distro, desktop topology and deployment (paid) platform where we would recoup our development costs. If someone can show me that, I'll be willing to talk some more about it all..

2 minutes ago, D鈥橳4ils said:

And it would also be really nice if we could avoid posting comments that have no direct connection with the topic at hand. I'd rather stay subscribed to this thread because I'm really interested on a positive outcome regarding Affinity for Linux.

Me too. But when someone decides to make a legitimate discussion about them and their personal opinions, I play by their rules until they get the message.

2 minutes ago, D鈥橳4ils said:

And it would also be really nice if we could avoid posting comments that have no direct connection with the topic at hand. I'd rather stay subscribed to this thread because I'm really interested on a positive outcome regarding Affinity for Linux.

I fully agree with you and one option would, for example, be to report the vexatious poster and ask that the off topic聽 argument posts are removed. Who's going to do that - you or me?