misstheresa2009

How many computers to install Affinity Designer

Hello Everyone!

I just purchased Affinity Designer this weekend and I need to know if I can install Affinity on two separate computers. To install it on a second computer will I have to get another license?

Regards,

misstheresa2009 :)

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @misstheresa2009. :)

You can install Affinity Designer on any compatible computer that you own or control, as long as no one else will be using it for commercial purposes. You only need separate licences for different platforms (e.g. Windows and macOS).

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.3.180 • Designer for iPad 1.8.3.2 • iPadOS 13.5.1 (iPad Air 2)

Hi misstheresa2009,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Here's a link to the End User License Agreement (EULA). The part pertaining to your question:

The License granted to you is limited, non-transferable and non-exclusive. Except to the extent any rights cannot be excluded by law, you are permitted:

1. if you are a private individual, to download, install, use and run for personal use, one (1) copy of the Serif Software directly on each computer running Microsoft Windows (“Windows Computer”) that you personally own or control. Commercial use is permitted but only use by you and not by any other users of any Windows Computers that you own or control. For example, other members of your household that use your Windows Computers may make personal use of the Serif Software whereas, if anyone other than yourself needs to make commercial use of the Serif Software, the other user will need to make a separate purchase.

Hello! Thanks for the quick responses! :)

If I understand both of you correctly this means that I can install Affinity on my computer and use it for business purposes. But if my son uses the second computer that I own to complete projects for clients then I will have to purchase a second license? I have a home-based business and my son will soon be working with me and we will be using two separate computers in the same room. I just want to make sure that the work we create for our clients will be free of any copyright problems.

BTW, I plan to hire freelancers to help out with large projects. I want them to use Affinity Designer. In your opinions, should I purchase licenses for each contractor? I want to make sure that all of us are using legally downloaded software. What would you suggest?

I apologize for being in the dark about this, but I just want to make sure no one who works for me violates any copyright laws.

Regards,

misstheresa2009

Just now, MEB said:

If you and your son will both use the software for commercial purposes then yes, you have to adquire a second license for your son. 

Okay, thank you so much for that information. The last thing I want is to have problems with Serif.

37 minutes ago, misstheresa2009 said:

BTW, I plan to hire freelancers to help out with large projects. I want them to use Affinity Designer. In your opinions, should I purchase licenses for each contractor? I want to make sure that all of us are using legally downloaded software. What would you suggest?

If you followed @MEB‘s link to the EULA, you should have seen this:

2. if you are a commercial enterprise, to download, install, use and run one (1) copy of the Serif Software for use either: (a) by one specific individual on each of the Windows Computer(s) that they use that you own or control, or (b) by multiple individuals on a single shared Windows Computer that you own or control; For example, a single employee may use the Serif Software on both their desktop and laptop Windows Computer, or multiple employees may serially use the Serif Software on a single Windows Computer used as a shared resource.

In other words, you personally can use the software for commercial purposes on multiple computers, or you and others can use it on a single computer, but not both.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.3.180 • Designer for iPad 1.8.3.2 • iPadOS 13.5.1 (iPad Air 2)

One problem with EULAs, is in trying to cover all bases, they generally leave room for interpretation. 

I own and control multiple computers. So can I have one set up as a single shared resource and have multiple employees terminal into it and run the software? 

That, btw, is a question not seeking an answer...

19 minutes ago, MikeW said:

One problem with EULAs, is in trying to cover all bases, they generally leave room for interpretation. 

I own and control multiple computers. So can I have one set up as a single shared resource and have multiple employees terminal into it and run the software? 

That, btw, is a question not seeking an answer...

I think the Serif EULA for Affinity covers that specific case. With my emphasis:

For example, a single employee may use the Serif Software on both their desktop and laptop Windows Computer, or multiple employees may serially use the Serif Software on a single Windows Computer used as a shared resource.

So, your hypothetical employees could do that, but only one could be using that PC for the Affinity application at any particular time.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1909 (183623.476),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.665 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.665 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.8.3.641 and 1.8.4.663 Beta.

Hello!

I'm new to Affinity. I want to ask a question that maybe it is actually has been answered, but I just don't get it. My question is, can I install Affinity Photo in three laptops with the same account, with only one purchase?

On 10/9/2019 at 12:01 PM, rayhantu said:

I'm new to Affinity. I want to ask a question that maybe it is actually has been answered, but I just don't get it. My question is, can I install Affinity Photo in three laptops with the same account, with only one purchase?

Yes, as long as they're all Mac or all Windows. The different platforms require different licenses.

Just a thank you for a sane licencing agreement. Have a couple of kids home thanks to coronavirus, and being able to load Designer on their computers and let them learn and be creative is awesome, and a good long-term strategy on your part. I switched from Adobe in part because of their increasingly restrictive licensing, and I am moving students to Serif platforms as well. No question, just a "thank you."

15 minutes ago, Zaudi said:

If  a similar key used to any PC, mean someone can re-sell the key?

The licence is non-transferable, so no.

AP user, running Win10