Sarah Lurajud

Affinity Photo running slow and freezing on Mac

For some reason Affinity has become very slow to respond and sluggish when carrying out editing functions. It will also freeze resulting in me having to force quit.  I am running this program on a MacBook Pro and have not had problems in the past.  With all other apps my computer seems to be working fine.  Hope you can help

Hi Sarah Lurajud,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you go to Affinity Photo > Preferences and in the Performance tab please try changing the Display dropdown this should hopefully solve your issue.

Thanks

Callum

Jumping on this thread. Same here, Affinity Photo is basically unusable on my late 2017 iMac, especially so in the raw editor. Dragging out gradients takes an age - it is laggy and not nice to use whilst changes with the sliders is blocky and jerky. Sorry but altogether an awful experience. PS on the other hand flies. Is there something I am missing?

On 03/05/2018 at 5:32 PM, ColinG said:

Jumping on this thread. Same here, Affinity Photo is basically unusable on my late 2017 iMac, especially so in the raw editor. Dragging out gradients takes an age - it is laggy and not nice to use whilst changes with the sliders is blocky and jerky. Sorry but altogether an awful experience. PS on the other hand flies. Is there something I am missing?

Nothing anyone?

Hi ColinG,

Sorry the delay getting back to you. Launch the app with (ctrl) held down until a Clear User Data dialog appears. Remove the ticks for Don't restore window and documents and Reset Studio. Leave only Clear User Defaults checked then press Clear. Check if the issue still persists. If you still have trouble go to Affinity Photo Preferences, Performance section and change the Display dropdown to OpenGL, or to Metal in case you have OpenGL selected. Does it speed things up or keeps freezing/lagging?

Thanks MEB. Not a lot of difference, if any, unfortunately. Still blocky and when dragging gradients the lag is sufficient to make one believe it is not working. I have done all you suggested and am now running on Metal as well.

57 minutes ago, MEB said:

What's the specs of your iMac? If you create a new user account and try to run Affinity Photo there does it still lags when performing these operations? Are you running any anti-virus on background?

Specs attached. User accounts make no difference. I get this problem on no other software so doubt its a spec thing, or if it is it is due to the way Affinity is put together. Should mention that it is the drawing of gradient masks that is the real nightmare. It is absolutely perfect out side of the raw editor though and even the blockiness is very light, if at all. So, it appears to be the raw workspace.

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 16.13.34.png

By way of update, have tried this with the Self engine and the Apple engine. It is better on Apple but by no means great. Thanks :-)

Was there no solution for this?

I have the same problem with a top of the line 2018 iMac. 800dpi 350MB image, painting is so painfully slow, it always drags way behind.