Oh I miss the knife tool or scissors so much. So I draw a simple vertical line with the pen tool. How can I cut out a portion so that I end up with two parts a a tiny space between them?

Hi moonbeetle,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Place two nodes (using the Node Tool) in the middle of the line where you want to insert the "gap", then select each one individually and press the Break Curve button in the context toolbar. You can then delete the segment in the middle. You can quickly switch to the Node Tool pressing ⌘ (cmd) while you are using the Pen Tool.

1 hour ago, Inkwell said:

This is so confounding in Designer, I fail at this over and over.

Think of the Break Curve option as "splitting" the curve. It breaks it into two (like cutting a film into segments). So the node in which you break the curve is where you split it. In the instructions MEB gave, he is saying to split the curve into three and delete the middle one, in which would create a gap between the first and third.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

9 hours ago, Inkwell said:

This is so confounding in Designer, I fail at this over and over.

One thing about the Break Curve action that can be problematic if you are not aware of it is it can only break one selected node of a path at a time. So for example, if you add two middle nodes to a line & select both of them, only one of them will be broken, creating two lines instead of three. This is why MEB said to select each one individually.

Note that if you have two separate curves selected, the Break Curve action can break one selected node on each of them.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1