Sign in to follow this  
hiddenloop

Affinity Designer - Bitmap / Pattern Fills

Is it possible to fill any shape or vector with a Bitmap / Pattern fill in Affinity Designer?

I can't see the option in Fill settings anywhere.  Or is this feature only available in Affinity Photo?? And if so - why???

How do you resize the fill tiles while maintaining the aspect ratio? I've tried (in the Windows beta version) using the Ctrl, Shift and Alt keys, but I haven't discovered the secret to making the tiles any size I want without introducing some distortion.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

Alfred,

There ought to be a way to maintain aspect.

Being on my phone I have no idea, and can't check but have you tried the 'fourth key' of right mouse (at the same time as left). We needed a 4th key and that's where we are at the moment on windows.

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

Hi Alfred,

There's a button in the context toolbar to Maintain fill aspect ratio (check screenshot). I believe it's already in the Windows version, but i'm not sure.

attachicon.gifaspect_ratio.jpg

Thanks, Miguel. Like so many things, it's easy when you know how!

And thanks to Patrick for the 'fourth key' suggestion. That would be fine on my trackball, where I use it frequently, but I think I would find it extremely awkward on my laptop's trackpad.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

On 9/28/2016 at 11:00 AM, MEB said:

Hi hiddenloop,

In Designer select the Fill Tool, go to the context toolbar and change the Type dropdown to Bitmap, select the image you want to use as a pattern from the dialog and drag the tool on canvas to fill the selected object.

You are a spectre from the Gods! You have no idea how long I have been trying to figure this out.