Easy: go to File --> Document setup. In the dialog box, on the middle of the left side, in the colour section, there's a checkbox option: Make background transparent. Check it and click OK. Notice that the bg of the current document has the grey & white checkerboard that represents transparency. Now export image, as PNG. The background is transparent.

There's 2 buttons below the Make Background Transparent: Assign and Convert. I don't know what they mean, unfortunately, the Help files has no mention of them or of what Make Background Transparent does.

2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Secondary Samsung SyncMaster B2430 display, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball, Wacom Pro Large tablet || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

The checkbox 'Transparent background' in Document Setup is just changing the state to say whether or not to draw a big white background or not - if not, then it draws as a checkerboard to the screen, but won't draw at all on export.

The 'Assign' and 'Convert' buttons are relating to the colour profile settings - whether the profile should be assigned to the document without converting the colours from their old space into the new space first, or whether the colour profile should be set to the new one and the colours converted from their old space into the new one - thus trying to maintain the colours where possible (although they may go out of gamut which is unavoidable).

I think it's fair to say that the 'transparent background' checkbox and 'assign/convert' buttons shouldn't appear to relate to each other, so that dialog needs shuffling a bit to make that clear! ;)

Thanks,

Matt

Yes, I checked the box for Transparent background in one of my AD documents and exported it as a PNG. The PNG file had a transparent background. It can be done now. I'm using the current beta 1.0.19988.

Matt was just pointing out that the Assign and Convert buttons dealt with the color profile settings and had nothing to do with the Transparent Background checkbox.

2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Secondary Samsung SyncMaster B2430 display, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball, Wacom Pro Large tablet || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

Hi I would like there to be a shortcut for transparency.  I need to switch back and forth quickly and also I can't always work in transparency mode with the grid.  But it take few few extra steps to go to Document then Color and then check Transparency, and then to uncheck later on.  If there was a menu item then I could assign a shortcut to it but it's not there. 

Agree with you :)

Don't need a specific button, but maybe it's possible to create a shortcut in the preferences...

I'll take a look.

(...)

Very interesting, but found no shortcut for that.