You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Here is a video that shows how to convert a daytime image into a nighttime mood

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

yeah I've seen that one. Ideally if someone could replicate the process like the example in the link, I'd appreciate it.

Once I see the video tutorial done in AP I'll be fine.

There's a bunch of them for PS or LR but no AP ones. (trust me I've searched all over yt)

3 minutes ago, Andrew Leiataua said:

yeah I've seen that one ... There's a bunch of them for PS or LR but no AP ones.

The one suggested by @Komatös is specifically for Affinity Photo.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

There are tons of tutorials here. Most for Affinity Photo.

Link

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3527)

I've attached a photo of a home I'm hoping to learn how to do a daytime to dusk/late afternoon in AP.

I can do sky replacements (learnt from AP yt tutorials) but when I try to darken the house (or anything else)I get stuck because I'm still trying to get my head around layers/masking etc.

So if possible, would someone be able to do a step by step tutorial using AP like the example above (video tutorial) please.🙂

I've reached out to the Affinity Team but they're busy & they told me to come to this forum to ask for help.

Daytime.jpg

14 minutes ago, Andrew Leiataua said:

I get stuck because I'm still trying to get my head around layers/masking etc.

It sounds as though you may be trying to run before you’ve learned to walk! Take a look at the following tutorial video:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

13 minutes ago, Andrew Leiataua said:

I can do sky replacements (learnt from AP yt tutorials) but when I try to darken the house (or anything else)I get stuck because I'm still trying to get my head around layers/masking etc.

Once you replaced the sky already you got the only mask you need. Like in real live at later daytime "just" the ambient colour changes and brightness + contrast get reduced. Possibly you want to colourize the white spotlights on the leaves separately (additionally).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Too hard, take another photo' when it's overcast then apply a lut

A shot at dusk is not going to have those harsh shadows so I have crudely
cloned the gravel and concrete to remove the tree shadows
cloned the concrete near the door, left the area by the garage so you can see the difference
burned in the stone lower left
lightened the area in shadow under the tree
hsl layer to reduce green and blue saturation
some local sponge desaturation under the tree and on the flowers by the house
reduced the highlights on the tree

Good luck but I'd get the camera out and go back

house.jpg

House.afphoto

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Two simple solutions with Curves Adjustment only:

dayevening.thumb.jpg.c639a197af56a328c37341ad1b26e2bd.jpg

The Adjustments have their Master and Colour channels set individually. While the Master is used to darken & reduce contrast the Colours set the tints.

For later day time it might need to move + scale the shadows, which is more work for the green to brighten some bushes + achieve the correct shape for the tree's shadow, then on the concrete (or wherever).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Brightness / Contrast adjustment layer
Replaced Sky
Replaced left window

dusk2.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi, @Andrew Leiataua - I'm not about to create a video tutorial (just not comfortable with that) but I had a go at twilight-ing your sample photo. I've attached the Affinity Photo file along with this post.

1) I made selections of the sky and of the windows, and saved them as Separate Channels. If you open the Channels panel, you'll see them there.

2) I selected the sky, inverted the selection, and masked the Original House photo. Then, I put a substitute sky layer underneath the Original House.

3) I added 2 additional child layers to the Original House layer, in order to adjust the lighting. First, I added a Fill Layer to darken the house and to give it a more orange color (so as to pick up some of the color of the substituted sky. I set the Blend Mode of the Fill layer to Soft Light. Then, I added a Curves adjustment to further darken and add contrast to the foreground.

4) I added a Pixel layer above the Original House layer and cloned out the shadows, since those harsh shadows wouldn't exist at that time of day.

5) I added another pixel layer and selected the Windows (using the saved Spare Channel). I created a Mask using that active selection. Before anything else, I selected the mask and applied a Gaussian Blur (from the Filter menu, so destructive) to soften the edges. Back to the pixel layer, I used the paint brush to fill the layer (i.e., only the masked areas will show up) with a yellowish color. I set the blend mode to Add. Instead of modifying the Opacity, I opened the Blend Options panel and lowered the Fill Opacity to 60%. This gave a better overall effect. I didn't have to add a separate "glow" since I was happy with the effect as it stood.

6) Another pixel layer was used to paint in the light coming from the lamps above the garage door. This had a diminished opacity, and a blend mode of Add.

7) Last, I added a Curves adjustment at the very top of the layer stack to selectively lighten, darken, and add a bit more contrast to the overall image.

With more time and effort, it could be better. I'm not really happy with the pots in front of the front door (they're still too dark) and some other details. But, I think this is a good start. A lot of what I did was lifted (and adapted) from the YouTube Photoshop video you included, but I didn't like some of the stuff he did and added some of my own interpretation.

TwilightHouse.jpg.09196da4c779f3f90a0a94ef6b8c42fa.jpg

Twilight House.afphoto

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

@Andrew Leiataua Yet another possibility. I like some of the other posted versions better, especially the treatment of the shadows of the tree, etc. Those shadows don't fit the nighttime scene, unless there is a VERY bright moon off to the left, casting a hard shadow (which doesn't fit the sky I chose). But I didn't feel like spending the time to adjust or remove the shadows, as some others did (which I think is appropriate, e.g., @smadell, @David in Яuislip).

There's a lot that can be done to meet your desired outcome, but as @Alfred mentioned, you need to learn the basics. There are many tools and techniques that can be employed, and many things that are needed to do this convincingly, and that takes a bit of time to learn. I hope all these posts are helpful. 

Day to Night.jpg

Day to Night.afphoto

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish

17 hours ago, Ldina said:

But I didn't feel like spending the time to adjust or remove the shadows, as some others did (which I think is appropriate)

If the sun is setting then I think the shadows should remain. In fact, they actually get bigger/longer during sunset. Lot of Google images support this. (e.g. in the attached)

Only when the sun has fully set would I expect no shadows (unless it comes from another source like a light or the moon)

sunset.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@carl123 Thanks, Carl. I agree...shadows do get longer as the sun gets lower. You're right...Light direction is important.

In the sky I chose (stock image), the sun was very low and behind clouds on the distant horizon, so if there were any shadows, they would have been pointing toward the viewer, and the houses and trees would have blocked most or all of them. The shadows from the sun in the original daylight image were at a fairly steep angle from the left, so the sun was pretty high, probably some time around midday, plus or minus a few hours. If the moon was high, bright, and the sky clear, then the existing shadows are probably okay. That didn't fit my interpretation, but I was too lazy to change it! Shadows cast by the sun, at least with the sky I chose, would need to point toward the viewer, just like the shadows in the image you uploaded. 

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish