You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remove Shadow from this Mountain ?

Now, before someone points out that I have asked similar question in the past. lol ! I know there are people here who would jump on to first pointing out that I am asking repetitive question, so let me clear it out, this is different, in the past what I have asked is brightening one side of the photo, but this photo that I have uploaded if you see there is a shadow on the left side of the mountain and my question is not about Brightening what if I want to remove the shadow from this picture and make that area of the mountain look sunny is that possible? 

Look forward to your responses.

TIA !

IMG_0080.jpeg

1 hour ago, augustya said:

... so let me clear it out, this is different, in the past what I have asked is brightening one side of the photo, but this photo that I have uploaded if you see there is a shadow on the left side of the mountain and my question is not about Brightening what if I want to remove the shadow from this picture and make that area of the mountain look sunny is that possible?

But it isn't different and pretty related to what you've asked x-times before in the pasts here. So in order to do what you want, you again need some selection and tweaking brightness, contrast, color channels ... etc. - It's pretty much nearly the same procedure of steps & tryouts etc. to perform here in order to alter that mountain area!

bright_contrast.png.a7468ac2f670fdb26d2a614bfce959b6.png

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

20 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

But it isn't different and pretty related to what you've asked x-times before in the pasts here. So in order to do what you want, you again need some selection and tweaking brightness, contrast, color channels ... etc. - It's pretty much nearly the same procedure of steps & tryouts etc. to perform here in order to alter that mountain area!

bright_contrast.png.a7468ac2f670fdb26d2a614bfce959b6.png

How did you get that Grass on that Rocky area of the Mountain ?

2 hours ago, augustya said:

what if I want to remove the shadow from this picture and make that area of the mountain look sunny is that possible? 

I just used the Clone Brush Tool to clone some of the sunnier sides of the mountain over the shadow area

Hopefully the only things that will notice it's technically not the same mountain range will be a few mountain goats

clonebrush.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

So in order to do what you want, you again need some selection and tweaking brightness, contrast, color channels ... etc. - It's pretty much nearly the same procedure of steps & tryouts etc. to perform here in order to alter that mountain area!

I want to add that it might be usefull to leave a little of the shadow in to make the image look more convincing. Human eyes can easily and intuitivly tell that something is wrong - even if they can't explicitly say what it is. The mountains in the right half of the pictures do have shadows and do not fit well with the manipulated mountain.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

55 minutes ago, dominik said:

The mountains in the right half of the pictures do have shadows

It seems that just the reduced contrast in @carl123's AI needs slightly correction while Carl managed already to train his AI for joke creation. 🐐

Note that the original mountain got its shadow mainly from clouds … while the culprit cloud appears to be positioned somewhere right above and outside of the image.

(compare @v_kyr's result without cloning)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Note that the original mountain got its shadow mainly from clouds … while the culprit cloud appears to be positioned somewhere right above and outside of the image.

This is another important hint on how to 'correct' an image convincingly. There should be two slightly different zones of shadow. One that is a little darker due to the shadow cast by the sunlight and a lighter one coming from the cloud.

I think @v_kyr's approach is a good start and some of the adjustments could be masked out with a paint brush.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Just now, dominik said:

There should be two slightly different zones of shadow. One that is a little darker due to the shadow cast by the sunlight and a lighter one coming from the cloud.

Actually three: from above (cloud) + from other mountains + from its own texture/shapes. (similar to the difference between drop & body shadow)

In this case imho only the last are slightly missing and the edited impression is more a matter of low contrast (~ body shadow) than of missing drop shadows.

5 hours ago, dominik said:

I want to add that it might be usefull to leave a little of the shadow in to make the image look more convincing. Human eyes can easily and intuitivly tell that something is wrong - even if they can't explicitly say what it is. The mountains in the right half of the pictures do have shadows and do not fit well with the manipulated mountain.

This. While the solutions posted here are all technically correct, they're not visually convincing. It just doesn't make sense that the mountains on the right have shadows while the one on left doesn't, especially since the direction and distribution of light in the scene strongly suggests that there should be at least some parts of the large mountain that are completely in the dark.

In order to look equally realistic, such tweaks have to be applied to all sunlight beamed mountains areas here. So more in the way HVDB showed above.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Looks 3D rendered.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

It's big Bend National Park, Chisos Mountains.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Looks 3D rendered.

Builded up on what @v_kyr provided
A few common manipulations I often apply:
- 50 % multiply blendmode overlay
- clarity adjustment
- dodge & burn

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

but can't quite get the camera site: https://www.google.com/maps/

Nevertheless this image may illustrate the shadow discussion, for instance the idea that …

16 hours ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

It just doesn't make sense that the mountains on the right have shadows while the one on left doesn't,

… which seems to ignore, apart from clouds, the influence of • different surfaces and • their different orientations (angles) within the landscape.

mountain2.thumb.jpg.4cec5947bba200f809833d8f117508e4.jpg