You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can anyone tell me why in ADV1 ypu could choose a document size from one list all the way up to A0 yet in ADV2 you can only go up to A3 and then once you have the A3 doc size you are then offered the same list as in ADV1 to choose a larger size?

Also why did the developers think that changing it was a good move?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

These have been missing for a while now in v2’s New Document Print lists.
Why? An oversight or an executive decision perhaps? It is a mystery!
At the moment once having chosen, say A3, and hitting Create you can then go to Document setup and select the A0, A1 or A2 presets from there. Yes, it’s clunky!
But if these are sizes you need often then best to just add the missing A sizes to the New Document Print lists yourself.
Once added you can drag them into their rightful places within the current options for neatness.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

I'm sure there are several work-arounds but why are they necessary in the first place? Who made the decision to change it for ADV2 and why?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I'm surprised that this is classed as a "bug". It seems more likely to be a deliberate (IMHO - stupid) decision by someone at Serif!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Don't know and can't tell, if it has been done intentionally or accidently instead.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

This is exactly what I've been saying for years about why bounding box handles disappear when moving a guide. There just seems to be no reason to do it.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff
On 1/1/2024 at 2:47 PM, PaulEC said:

I'm surprised that this is classed as a "bug". It seems more likely to be a deliberate (IMHO - stupid) decision by someone at Serif!

Just to confirm, this is logged with our development team as a Task Request rather than a Bug - but both create similar 'AF' values for the report which can be misleading.

As I've just updated the original Task linked in the above thread, this is now 'AF-1642'

On 1/1/2024 at 11:53 AM, jackamus said:

The File > New dialog was completely re-written for V2 and included certain changes, such as updating the list of Preset Document sizes offered.

As I understand it, the list was streamlined by our Developers during this process - though they don't tend to publicly provide exact reasoning behind every small decision, therefore I can't say more than this at this time.

However as you've found in the thread linked above, this is logged as a Task Request with our development team to be considered to be re-added in a future update.

On 1/1/2024 at 3:37 PM, jackamus said:

So where is the Document update promised by Patrick?

This is unfortunately not a 'promise' of any kind - as it is our developers/team leads final call as to the changes, features and options added to the Affinity apps in each update.

We are happy to pass feedback through to our developers from our users for requested changes & features, especially for features that have changed from previous options/UI offered, but we cannot make any guarantees these requested features/changes will be added, until they are publicly available within a beta update.

In the meantime, you can re-create these sizes as custom presets, as required.

I hope this clears things up!

Adding 3 more sizes would push the top of the Press Ready header below the 'fold' which would decrease discoverability unless the dialog was made even taller. And if 3 more sizes are to be added, they'd need to add ~8 American paper sizes because there are currently 8 metric sizes and 3 American sizes.

It's so easy to add our own presets for whatever sizes we want. And to delete all the sizes that we have no use for.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

image.png.03773f1e516d467f91c7e80d93b7c70e.png

I do not remember to have added any standard sizes in v2 apps, but A2, A1 and A0 seem to exist as predefined document sizes both under Print and Press groups on Windows platform. For some reason A2 is listed last within both groups (which might indicate that it has been added manually, but as mentioned, I do not recall having done this).

EDIT: On Windows, having first defined one document size (e.g. A3) and then choosing File > Document Setup, also seems to give the full set of predefined document sizes (and correctly arranged, too):

image.png.30399f3449634aa4cf859633d1eec38f.png

Sorry I cannot accept as a good excuse. It was OK in DV1 so why change it?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

On 1/1/2024 at 12:53 PM, jackamus said:

Can anyone tell me why in ADV1 ypu could choose a document size from one list all the way up to A0 yet in ADV2 you can only go up to A3 and then once you have the A3 doc size you are then offered the same list as in ADV1 to choose a larger size?

What’s the problem here?

As several mentioned earlier, it’s easy to make your own presets. You have already complain about this in other threads, so, Serif if already aware…

Pretty small problem - people in Ukraine & Israel/Gaza would be glad if their only problem was a tiny “bug” in Affinity Suite. Just sayin’…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, old Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021 connected to an 32” curved 5K external display, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

Possibly it wasn't a change by purpose. Sometimes small mistakes slip in the codes when the developers work on it. Sometimes only one sign can cause that certain features don't work or don't even appear in the GUI. I have no deeper understanding of programming, but I had lessons in HTML, CSS and Javascript some years ago, which is somehow similar to programming. And this problem exists there too. Sometimes it is e.G. necessary to deactivate certain lines of code temporarily, so you set clamps or something like that (can't clearly remember). And if you forget to delete these clamps after you finished programming, the feature, the line of code is meant for, doesn't work. Imagine how many lines of code are in such a software like Affinity Photo, Designer or Publisher. It is nearly impossible to create something like that without any errors. And it is often like the hunt for the needle in the haystack to find these wrong signs in the code.

30 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

What’s the problem here?

As several mentioned earlier, it’s easy to make your own presets. You have already complain about this in other threads, so, Serif if already aware…

Pretty small problem - people in Ukraine & Israel/Gaza would be glad if their only problem was a tiny “bug” in Affinity Suite. Just sayin’…

You may be 'just saying' but well done! You have just given Serif a great reason for closing down this forum for being full of 'Pretty small problems' when there are much more serious problems in the world!

Back to the thread - I know I have mentioned it before but I don't always take the first 'NO' for an answer!

Why remove something that worked in order to get users to have to create a work-around to do the same thing? I kn

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

• Staff
On 1/1/2024 at 12:25 PM, markw said:

At the moment once having chosen, say A3, and hitting Create you can then go to Document setup and select the A0, A1 or A2 presets from there. Yes, it’s clunky!

12 hours ago, lacerto said:

EDIT: On Windows, having first defined one document size (e.g. A3) and then choosing File > Document Setup, also seems to give the full set of predefined document sizes (and correctly arranged, too):

Thanks for raising this - I believe this is a know issue logged with our team, but I'll be sure to double check and 'bump' this again with them now :)

40 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

Please keep posts here on-topic, I do understand the point you are trying to make but I'd personally ask that bugs are not compared/conflated to such tragedies.

4 minutes ago, jackamus said:

I don't always take the first 'NO' for an answer!

Please see the multiple responses below reasoning and providing additional information from both this thread and the separate one linked. This is not this 'first' time you have received a reply to this, with my latest above being an official Affinity response.

Re-asking this question multiple times in one thread will not change the current answer.

On 1/1/2024 at 12:25 PM, markw said:

But if these are sizes you need often then best to just add the missing A sizes to the New Document Print lists yourself.
Once added you can drag them into their rightful places within the current options for neatness.

13 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Adding 3 more sizes would push the top of the Press Ready header below the 'fold' which would decrease discoverability unless the dialog was made even taller. And if 3 more sizes are to be added, they'd need to add ~8 American paper sizes because there are currently 8 metric sizes and 3 American sizes.

It's so easy to add our own presets for whatever sizes we want. And to delete all the sizes that we have no use for.

On 12/20/2022 at 1:59 PM, 4dimage said:

Add the presets yourself. This is intentional (has already been discussed at length)

On 1/1/2024 at 5:42 PM, MikeTO said:

You can add A0, A1, and A2 sizes to the list with about 60 seconds of effort. These are just presets so you can add whatever sizes you like. I recommend doing this in dark mode as the Save Preset As icon is invisible in light mode.

On 1/1/2024 at 7:45 PM, walt.farrell said:

When the problem is that a list is too long, shortening it can be an improvement. And in this case, the items were apparently deemed not necessary, perhaps because they felt that the (presumably few) users who need them can easily add them back. Of course, those users would view it as a a reduction of function, even if other users are happier with a shorter list.

We can only wait and see whether 2.4 or some later beta restores them. But in the meantime, you can easily add them back or create a Template rather than using one of the Presets.

17 hours ago, Dan C said:

The File > New dialog was completely re-written for V2 and included certain changes, such as updating the list of Preset Document sizes offered.

As I understand it, the list was streamlined by our Developers during this process - though they don't tend to publicly provide exact reasoning behind every small decision, therefore I can't say more than this at this time.

18 hours ago, Dan C said:

As I've just updated the original Task linked in the above thread, this is now 'AF-1642'

Is there no way to maintain an existing tag within the forum if its content gets updated, e.g. with a link to the new tag (or by updating the tag in all existing forum's entries via F&R)? – It may confuse if existing threads with posts to the initial tag now lead to a not existing bug report.

tagmodified.jpg.b71a57306a61e78668b7cf0230cf92c9.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff
21 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Is there no way to maintain an existing tag within the forum if its content gets updated, (...) It may confuse if existing threads with posts to the initial tag now lead to a not existing bug report.

Unfortunately our reporting system isn't yet 'smart' enough to achieve this - though I have previously brought this up internally with the team who controls the 'Serif Info Bot' and related tagging system.

I'll be sure to bump this with them again, to see if we can improve this workflow in the future in order to keep previously tagged threads with both the historical 'AFB/AFD/AFP' tags, and the more recent 'AF' tags :)

11 minutes ago, Dan C said:

keep previously tagged threads with both the historical 'AFB/AFD/AFP' tags, and the more recent 'AF' tags

Alternatively it might help for forum users to get access to a list of those modified tags in case they run into a link with "0 results". (e.g. as pinned thread or as a permanent addition in a "known bugs list" thread?)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1