You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rectangle always with rounded corners

RainerH

Hello together,

since some days everytime i draw a rectangle in desinger, eithe with the rectangle tool or with the roundet corners rectangle tool, a rectangle with roundet corners is drawn. I think I've made some settings that cause this behavior, but I don'T find out where. Can anybody help?

Thank you in advance

Rainer

image.png.e5ca5e1f5d4ff2eaa26d1008a15491ed.png

Context toolbar → "Corner" section
You may have accidentally saved the setting as your tool default (Edit → Defaults).

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

With the Rectangle tool selected, click the Revert Defaults button.
Or choose Edit → Defaults → Factory Reset.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I think, without too much effort put into thinking it, that the Rectangle Tool should always draw new rectangles with squared corners no matter which settings were used in the Rounded Rectangle Tool or what the last rectangle was changed to use while using the Rectangle Tool.

And the Rounded Rectangle Tool should always draw new rectangles with the settings which were last drawn with that tool (unless the user has pressed “Revert Defaults”).

Otherwise what’s the point of having separate tools if they both ‘borrow’ settings from each other?

(The 'roundedness' can, of course, still be changed after the rectangle has been drawn.) 

This seems sensible to me – if I want a new non-rounded rectangle I use the Rectangle Tool rather than the Rounded Rectangle Tool.

Hello GarryP,

finally somebode understood what I mean. In earlier versions of Designer it worked as expected. Rectangel tool drew a rectangel and roundet rectangele tool drew a rounded rectangle. Tih must be a bug in the software.

What have we bought and payed for? A rectangle tool and a rounded rectangle tool. And what did we get? Two rectangle tools or if you change settings two roundes rectangle tools.

It's like not to get a hambburger, but either two burger buns or two Fleischpflanzerl.

That's crazy isn's it? 

I just wanted to agree with this. It's pointless having two shape tools that are exactly the same! But it is quite handy to have both rectangle and rounded rectangle to save extra steps and having to keep changing one tool.

By the way, it does seem to apply to all the apps, not just Designer.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

That’s not working for me

Ah, I see what you mean. Same on Mac.
I just checked v1, and indeed, v2 seems to have a bug here.

To partially work around it, disable Keep selected, otherwise the next object automatically inherits the last object's attributes while Rectangle and Rounded Rectangle obviously falsely share the same toolbar attributes

4 hours ago, RainerH said:

What have we bought and payed for?

No need to make a drama here. Bugs happen even in the best families… :P 

9 hours ago, loukash said:

I just checked v1, and indeed, v2 seems to have a bug here.

I also checked V1, and V2 (2.2.1), and V2.3. The bug only occurs in V2.3.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Loukash,

I think it's a drama, when a tool that worked well before is buggy after an update. Like a car I got back from the workshop where they updated the car's system-software and now I have some new features but the windshield wipers doesn't work. Are you sure you wouldn't complain to the workshop about this?

I want my different tools back ...

2 hours ago, RainerH said:

Hello Loukash,

I think it's a drama, when a tool that worked well before is buggy after an update. Like a car I got back from the workshop where they updated the car's system-software and now I have some new features but the windshield wipers doesn't work. Are you sure you wouldn't complain to the workshop about this?

I want my different tools back ...

There are a lot of apologists in here, but when you've been around for a while you get the feeling that you've come across several of the phenomenons below. And before some go crazy over the term fanboy, think of it as a label that covers a broad concept. It's also interesting if someone feels targeted to ask themselves... why are you so offended?

Anyway. Sociologists and psychologists have various perspectives on the phenomenon of "fanboys" on the internet. Generally, these perspectives can be summarized as follows:

Identity Formation and Belonging: Fanboys may develop a strong sense of identity and belonging in relation to their favorite products, brands, or personalities. This can lead to a close-knit community with like-minded individuals, which is a central aspect of human social behavior.

Extremism and Echo Chambers: Sometimes, fanboy culture can take an extreme form, where individuals reject criticism and opposing viewpoints. This can be amplified by the internet's echo chambers, where people surround themselves with like-minded individuals, leading to polarized and one-sided perceptions.

Consumer Behavior: From a sociological perspective, the behavior of fanboys can be seen as part of modern consumer culture, where brand loyalty and product affiliation become important parts of an individual's identity.

Psychological Mechanisms: Psychologically, fanboy behavior can be linked to concepts like confirmation bias (the tendency to favor information that confirms one's own beliefs) and group affiliation, which can influence an individual's perception and behavior.

Online Behavior and Anonymity: The internet offers a degree of anonymity and liberation from social norms, which can lead to more extreme or unusual behavior that individuals might not exhibit in real life.

Community and Support: On the positive side, fanboy cultures can offer a strong sense of community and support, especially for people with niche interests that might not be present in their immediate physical surroundings.

These perspectives can vary significantly depending on the specific context and the individuals involved. Fanboy cultures are diverse and cannot always be easily generalized.

So, the clingy, embracing correction disguised as a friendly remark should be seen in the light of the above. I don't know why these people have to stand and pass moral judgment over, for example, you, when you contact Serif Software in a way that is a condition of existence for all companies and always has been, but these actors on the internet have no authority or power here, so just ignore these posts.

May you have a creative - and square - weekend. 🙂

I simply no longer believe that there are any professional graphic designers here. Everything follows suit. Just everything.

The v2.3.1 update was a quick release to fix a handful of critical regressions. Many more bugs have already been squashed in the v2.4 beta (though others have been introduced).

Each release specifies exactly which bugs have been fixed, so by definition anything not on the list still exists.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

The issue "Rounded rectangle and standard rectangle share corner settings" (REF: AF-1628) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.4.0.2279".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.