You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The manual say to choose the knife tool from the Pencil Tool flyout - I don't seem to have a Pencil tool just a Knife tool already in view in the tools.

If I attempt to use the knife tool it just drags a blue rectangle. What am I doing wrong?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

1 hour ago, jackamus said:

What am I doing wrong?

Nothing wrong. That blue box is a selection marquee because you didn't already have an object selected. Make a habit of inspecting the status bar at bottom of the window to learn about a tool.

OK I selected the photo and then the knife tool and cut the photo in half but the photo disappears.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

OK I selected the photo and then the knife tool and cut the photo in half but the photo disappears.

The Knife tool is designed for vectors only, what you've effectively done is to cut the image bounding box to create two closed curves... you can however re-add the image to either newly created curve as a clipped layer...

"The Knife Tool lets you draw a freehand or straight cutting line across any open curve or shape to split the object up into smaller fragments. A scissor-cut feature also lets you click on any open curve to break the curve at a chosen node or anywhere on a curve segment; a polycurve is created."

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

2 hours ago, jackamus said:

Doesn’t exactly the same thing happen with the Knife Tool in DrawPlus? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Doesn’t exactly the same thing happen with the Knife Tool in DrawPlus? :/

That is something only Windows users might know about, since there were never any of the "plus' apps released for Macs.....

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 hours ago, R C-R said:

That is something only Windows users might know about, since there were never any of the "plus' apps released for Macs.....

Jack was a keen DrawPlus user, back in the day, but there was no particular reason for you to be aware of that!

Alfred spacer.png

Affinity has got a long way to go to be as good as DrawPlus was!

I think the process of converting from the  DrawPlus coding was never successfully achieved.

One would believe that, with today's technology, converting from and old way of doing things to a new way would be dead easy! But apparently not!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

4 hours ago, jackamus said:

I think the process of converting from the  DrawPlus coding was never successfully achieved.

Affinity Designer wasn’t converted from the DrawPlus code base, it was developed from scratch. Unlike DrawPlus (which is heavily dependent on Windows features) Affinity Designer was designed from the outset to be ‘platform agnostic’ so that the features available in the original Mac version would mostly be available Windows and iPad, too. And as you’re probably aware, Affinity Designer files can be opened in any Affinity app (unlike DrawPlus files which can only be opened in DrawPlus).

Alfred spacer.png

Hi Alfred,

I know all that as it was explained to me ages ago. The point I was making that with today's two main platforms it has not been possible for Serif to create a new vector app that is as good as DrawPlus was. Affinity is a dumbed down version in terms of having as many different features.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

36 minutes ago, jackamus said:

The point I was making that with today's two main platforms it has not been possible for Serif to create a new vector app that is as good as DrawPlus was.

AD is better than DrawPlus on Macs because DrawPlus won't run at all on the macOS! 😀

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Your missing the point!

Its got nothing to do with what will run on what OS! Its to do with DrawPlus being a better drawing program than AD. You could do more with it.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

44 minutes ago, R C-R said:

AD is better than DrawPlus on Macs because DrawPlus won't run at all on the macOS! 😀

Piece of cake to run Windows on Mac for free…

UTM and a ”free” version of Windows 11 Arm have made my Macbook Pro M1 being able to test Affinity Suite on Windows, and, perhaps old Serif software…

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

34 minutes ago, jackamus said:

You could do more with it.

My point is that you can't do anything with it on a computer running the macOS, or for that matter on an iPad!

Affinity Photo 

36 minutes ago, jackamus said:

Its to do with DrawPlus being a better drawing program than AD. You could do more with it.

So?

Serif has never publicized or positioned Designer as a DrawPlus replacement, as far as I know. They are different, and separate applications.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

Piece of cake to run Windows on Mac for free…

But you can't do that on a Mac running the macOS, which is why I mentioned that limitation specifically.

Affinity Photo 

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

My point is that you can't do anything with it on a computer running the macOS, or for that matter on an iPad!

You still don't get it RCR!! Forget all about platforms and just consider two vector programs one called DrawPlus and one called AD. You could do more with DrawPlus than you can with AD.  That all I am saying.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

So?

Serif has never publicized or positioned Designer as a DrawPlus replacement, as far as I know. They are different, and separate applications.

With respect Walt, that's a cop-out! They are only different is as much as one was more versatile than the other. This is the reason why people migrate from Corell Draw or Illustrator or any of the other drawing programs. Given the choice I wouldn't have migrated from DrawPlus to AD except for the fact that DrawPlus was being superseded with a Mac version which wasn't as good.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

4 minutes ago, jackamus said:

That all I am saying.

All I am saying is I cannot do anything with DrawPlus on my Mac or my iPad. That is my point.

1 minute ago, jackamus said:

They are only different is as much as one was more versatile than the other.

Again, DrawPlus offers zero versatility on a Mac running the macOS or on an iPad. So at least in that sense, AD is far more versatile in that it runs on 3 different operating systems & files created in AD on any of them can be edited in any of the others. 

Affinity Photo 

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

files created in AD on any of them can be edited in any of the others

Better than that, files created in any Affinity app can be edited in any of the others. Native PhotoPlus files could be used to some extent in the other ‘Plus’ applications, but DrawPlus and PagePlus had completely incompatible file formats .

Alfred spacer.png

11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

All I am saying is I cannot do anything with DrawPlus on my Mac or my iPad. That is my point.

Again, DrawPlus offers zero versatility on a Mac running the macOS or on an iPad. So at least in that sense, AD is far more versatile in that it runs on 3 different operating systems & files created in AD on any of them can be edited in any of the others. 

I'm beginning to think its pointless discussing this with you RCR! Of course you couldn't use it on a Mac but that doesn't mean it wasn't a better program. Even it was used only on a BBC or a Sinclair or any other generation of computer you could still was a better program.

BTW Why don't you remove that silly mask from your Avatar since everyone now knows that COVID was a scam and was created to get people to take a dangerous jab as a population reducer.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

9 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Better than that, files created in any Affinity app can be edited in any of the others. Native PhotoPlus files could be used to some extent in the other ‘Plus’ applications, but DrawPlus and PagePlus had completely incompatible file formats .

So what? File incompatibility is fact of computer life. If you just wanted to create  something to look at at or print then they were OK. But if you want to put it though a washing machine of different file formats then it was useless but it still had more drawing features than AD!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

So what?

The "what" is the indisputable "fact of computer life" that the Affinity apps do offer file compatibility across all 3 Affinity apps on all 3 of their supported platforms, while DrawPlus does not.

So, for those who value that versatility AD is the better app. If you don't, so be it, but many of us do.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

The "what" is the indisputable "fact of computer life" that the Affinity apps do offer file compatibility across all 3 Affinity apps on all 3 of their supported platforms, while DrawPlus does not.

So, for those who value that versatility AD is the better app. If you don't, so be it, but many of us do.

Like you said Affinity may be able to offer all their AD apps with file compatibility on Mac OS and Windows OS but like I said it still doesn't have the drawing features that DrawPlus had.

I'm only interested in the drawing aspect of an app rather than its file swapping capability. When I look around for a drawing app I look at their drawing features first and their drawing features second!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0