You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where is the Affinity 2 executable file?

I'm here because I simply wanted to add an Affinity button on my new Stream Deck, and it took an act of congress to find out how to do it.  I resent that MS and Affinity want to conceal MY OWN SOFTWARE from me.  It's repugnant.  Affinity tools are nice to have, but strictly speaking, I don't need them.  I'm probably never going to buy anything from them again, just for this act of tyranny.  We can survive without Affinity, but can Affinity survive without us?  I think it may be time to switch to Linux and be done with it.

tyranny
1. Unjust or oppressive governmental power.
2. A government in which a single ruler is vested with absolute power: people liberated from a brutal tyranny.
3. The office, authority, or jurisdiction of an absolute ruler: Pisistratus held the tyranny of Athens.
4. a. The oppressive or unjust use of power: parental tyranny.
    b. A tyrannical act: refused to submit to her husband's tyrannies.
5. An oppressive or harshly limiting condition: the tyranny of social expectations.

Yes. Yes it is. #5. Absolutely. Or, perhaps, #4.1, if we see Affinity as a parent intent on forcing us to, oh, I don't know, go to bed early without our dinner, I mean, without our desktop icons? 😁

18 hours ago, BDBell said:

I resent that MS and Affinity want to conceal MY OWN SOFTWARE from me

That is a misnomer, that we own the software. We do not, we own a usage license. If we owned the software, we would be legally allowed to alter, give away, sell, or whatever the software, as it would be ours to do as we see fit. We do not, so we're prohibited from doing so. We purchase the permission to use it, and since we don't own it, the owner can say how their product is installed.

We own the machines, and can control what gets installed, and what does not. There is the caveat, of the operating systems that make the machines work. We also do not own them, we simply license the use of. So theoretically the OS companies collaborating with the application companies can decide how, when, and where. But we can control the IF. Don't like their rules of using their products, then simply don't.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff
22 hours ago, BDBell said:

it took an act of congress to find out how to do it. 

You download the alternative EXE installer from your account. No acts of congress required.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 2/27/2023 at 6:57 AM, Patrick Connor said:

You download the alternative EXE installer from your account. No acts of congress required.

As an end user, I can confirm that the EXE installer for 2.04 worked fine for me, and that Affinity Photo integrates with Capture 1 and Sony Imaging Edge without having to do anything special.

Thanks Affinity for listening to the user community!

Edited by martinb0820

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2023 at 8:34 AM, BDBell said:

Fully agreed.  I'm tired of this.  When I buy software, it becomes MY software.  If this is how Affinity is going to act, they'll never see a dime of my money again.  Seriously tired of this bullshit.

I got my refund as soon as I realized they went in the locked down Microsoft app format with their new Affinity 2 software. 

I will just continue using Affinity one that has been working for me for years, in conjunction with DXOPhotolab, from version 2 to the current 6 version. 

I have no idea what Serif was thinking. I guess they don't like to grow their business. 

I actually did not need Affinity 2, but wanted to help them grow. That did not work out well for me and them. 

5 hours ago, cybertec69 said:

I got my refund as soon as I realized they went in the locked down Microsoft app format with their new Affinity 2 software. 

They listened to their users and made EXE-based installers available.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2023 at 2:51 PM, walt.farrell said:

They listened to their users and made EXE-based installers available.

"They listened to their users and made EXE-based installers available." EXE-based Installers available, what does that even mean. How about rolling out the software "from the get go" in the same format as Affinity 1. 

Long after I got my refund. I paid to have a working program from the get go, not months later. When I asked for my refund they should have notified me that they would be working on a fix, which they did not.

They should have posted a bulleting on this forum letting everyone know that they would fix the issue. Not all this hack utter nonsense that people in here tried to force feed everyone.

If I wanted to download the software now "not even knowing if it would work as it should" I doubt it that they will offer me the initial introductory price.

4 hours ago, cybertec69 said:

"They listened to their users and made EXE-based installers available." EXE-based Installers available, what does that even mean. How about rolling out the software "from the get go" in the same format as Affinity 1. 

Long after I got my refund. I paid to have a working program from the get go, not months later. When I asked for my refund they should have notified me that they would be working on a fix, which they did not.

They should have posted a bulleting on this forum letting everyone know that they would fix the issue. Not all this hack utter nonsense that people in here tried to force feed everyone.

If I wanted to download the software now "not even knowing if it would work as it should" I doubt it that they will offer me the initial introductory price.

The MSIX installed APP is still working for me with no issues.

I wonder if people understand the benefits of Apps compared to .EXE ... and I wonder if people realise how many APPs are actually installed.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

• Staff
9 hours ago, cybertec69 said:

No we would not. It was available for over 2 months, and is no longer available 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

17 hours ago, AiDon said:

The MSIX installed APP is still working for me with no issues.

I wonder if people understand the benefits of Apps compared to .EXE ... and I wonder if people realise how many APPs are actually installed.

Have you read ANY of my posts before responding with nonsense. 

On 2/27/2023 at 6:57 AM, Patrick Connor said:

A little bit too late for that, and I am not only speaking for myself. 

Serif screwed the pooch with their disaster of a new software release. 

How about making sure the software worked from the time it left the gate just like Affinity one did, before foisting it on it's paying customers. 

Let me guess they are not employing the sharpest tools in the tool shed, which has become the norm with many corporations nowadays. 

• Staff
55 minutes ago, cybertec69 said:

Let me guess they are not employing the sharpest tools in the tool shed,

This isn't allowed under forum rules, but as it's aimed at me I would ask other readers of this thread not to respond as it's been noted

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

This isn't allowed under forum rules, but as it's aimed at me I would ask other readers of this thread not to respond as it's been noted

Reading comprehension is essential and not your strength. 

I suggest you read my post again, SLOWLY. I never criticized you. And if I did "which I did not", all it means is that you can't handle criticism, which has become the norm nowadays for many people. 

You also need to STOP treating paying customers like they are idiots. 

I am sure your attitude will go a long way in repeat business for the company. 

Maybe you need to go back to my FIRST post in here when this dumpster fire of a software release happened. And how it could have been rectified. 

Maybe extending the refund period until they could have come up with a PROPER solution, that would have been the first thing I would have done if I ran Serif.  But I guess Serif does not care about it's customers or is looking for new or repeat customers, that is what you are saying here. 

Just some food for thought. 

And to be honest with you, I did not need version two of the software, I just tried to help the company grow by buying the software on it's initial release. 

The experience post purchase has been a complete nightmare. 

And your responses, including a few others in here have only cemented this experience. 

Again, stop treating paying customers like idiots. 

7 hours ago, cybertec69 said:

Have you read ANY of my posts before responding with nonsense. 

Of course I have, you were also offered a workaround solution for non-Windows compliant apps that cannot execute application aliases.

Which you chose to rant about rather than try.

From your posts (rants) it seems you are a Windows 11 hater and don't understand how apps will work on Windows going forward to provide you with a safe execution environment. This is no different to say Mac OS.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

I'm hesitant to get in the middle of this, BUT I think Serif did the right thing to support its customers; the company deserves congratulations instead of criticism.

They made a decision with good intentions that, in retrospect, didn't meet the needs of users. Based on the feedback they received, instead of digging in their heels and telling users "it's our way or the highway", they shifted gears and released standard Windows installer versions.

Having been an embedded software engineer for 40 years, I can tell you that, although installation packages don't add perceived value (they're just supposed to work!), they can take a disproportionate amount of time and effort to develop and test. So understandably, the updates weren't available immediately.

I purchased version 2 of all three programs while they were discounted. Serif made it clear that they were working on a fix for Microsoft's questionable installation paradigm, so I continued to use version 1 until the updated installers were available. When they were, the updates installed cleanly and work flawlessly.

I appreciate that Serif has made such a capable software package available for such a reasonable price.