You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

hello,  only my second ever post,

I hope this makes sense.. apologies if not?  I want to take 9 photos (3x3 grid) of a roof, with an overlap horizontally and vertically of 20% for each photograph. is it then possible to "join" these images to make 1 image of the roof from the 9 original images?

If this is possible, would I then be able to scale it to grids of 4x4 and 5x5 ??

thanks in advance for any advice or pointers to "how to" videos

Tony

Sounds like a task ideally for the Panorama Stitching feature in APhoto.

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Panorama/panorama_stitching.html?title=Stitching panoramas

Not sure whether it recognizes vertically image positions along its horizontally ability. If not, you could do it in 3 steps and feed it with img 1-3, 4-6, 7-9.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

17 hours ago, thomaso said:

Not sure whether it recognizes vertically image positions

That should work. Of course, the more overlap you have, the better.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

You can certainly stitch together 3 by 3 panoramas. I have successfully stitched together 3 by 4 panoramas. Again, you need to have a good overlap between images.

John

Windows 11, Affinity Photo 2.4.2 Designer 2.4.2 and Publisher 2.4.2 (mainly Photo).

CPU: Intel Core i5 8500 @ 3.00GHz. RAM: 32.0GB  DDR4 @ 1063MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

thomaso thanks so much for your reply, I will defo be trying, ... and look forward to coming back to Cologne asap 🙂

😊

23 hours ago, thomaso said:

Sounds like a task ideally for the Panorama Stitching feature in APhoto.

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Panorama/panorama_stitching.html?title=Stitching panoramas

Not sure whether it recognizes vertically image positions along its horizontally ability. If not, you could do it in 3 steps and feed it with img 1-3, 4-6, 7-9.

• 3 months later...

I would appreciate help with this.  I have just started making 9 × 9 panoramas from Fujifilm GFX50S RAF raw files in Affinity Photo.  AP does this, but with problems.  I have read

and

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Panorama/panorama_stitching.html?title=Stitching%20panoramas

The component images are achieved by shooting with a shift lens.  This generates some vignetting in the corners opposite the shift direction, but there is a major amount of overlap between these component images, so the stitching should take the image data from the frames that do not have vignetting.  This happens only partially.  The page entitled Editing Panoramas states:
"For more detailed editing, use the Add to Source Image Mask Tool to paint in areas that you want to use from the stack's surrounding images. Use the Erase from Source Image Mask to remove areas."
However, this does not work.  I can click on the "Transform Source Image Tool (A)", which is an arrow, and it correctly selects source images.  However, when I click on the "Erase from Source Image Mask", the selected problem source image is automatically de-selected, making erasing of the vignetted area impossible.

Any guidance on how to overcome this problem would be appreciated.

Thank you.

12 minutes ago, Trevor A said:

Those two links are identical. I presume one of them was meant to look like this:

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Panorama/panorama_editing.html?title=Editing panoramas

I’m sorry I don’t have an answer to your question.

By the way, although it’s obvious in this particular case that your question is about Affinity Photo, it’s a good idea to get into the habit of using the abbreviation ‘APh’ rather than ‘AP’ so that everyone knows you’re not referring to Affinity Publisher.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Alfred

Thank you for your comment.  Both of the links looked identical to me, too, but I pasted them from the address bar for the corresponding page.

I had not heard of any "official" abbreviations for Affinity Photo, so I made up my own.  I will be happy to use "APh" in future.  After all, for more than 120 years for photographers in the UK the abbreviation "AP" has meant the magazine "Amateur Photographer".

6 minutes ago, Trevor A said:

Both of the links looked identical to me, too, but I pasted them from the address bar for the corresponding page.

The problem is that it’s presented as a frame set, so the URL in the address bar doesn’t change (or perhaps has a ‘#’ character appended) even if you choose something completely unrelated such as ‘Retouching’. You need to copy the URL by right-clicking the link on the left and choosing the ‘Copy’ option from the context menu that pops up.

Alfred spacer.png

12 minutes ago, Trevor A said:

I had not heard of any "official" abbreviations for Affinity Photo

If you notice, some abbreviations (AP, APh, AD, ADe, APu, ...) are underlined, and if you point mouse to them, you will see its meaning (for example, that AP means Affinity Photo, etc.).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

So let's try this for the links:
That should be the page entitled "Stitching Panoramas".
The other one is apparently:
https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Panorama/panorama_editing.html?title=Editing panoramas
That should be the page entitled "Editing Panoramas".

Thank you, Alfred, for the link.  Even following your instructions carefully, when I pasted the copied URL in a new browser window, I still got the old link!  Is there a problem with my computer, or with my browser?

Whatever the cause of the problem with the link, the purpose of the posting was to seek help with the problem editing panoramas.  I hope that in this new day (at least, in Europe), someone who has cracked the problem will be able to provide the answer.

Many thanks to all those who are offering support!

Trevor

On 3/14/2022 at 2:05 PM, Trevor A said:

... in the UK the abbreviation "AP" has meant the magazine "Amateur Photographer".

AP is Associated Press.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

AP is Associated Press.

In other contexts, it also could be an abbreviation for Access Point, Accounts Payable, Advanced Placement, Access Panel, Armor Piercing, Aerial Photography, or literally dozens of other things.

But in these forums, by convention it stands for Affinity Photo, which is why it gets underlined & has a popup.

EDIT: Affinity Photo made this list, but it needs a lot more upvotes to improve its ranking. 🤪 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

In other contexts, it also could be an abbreviation for Access Point, Accounts Payable, Advanced Placement, Access Panel, Armor Piercing, Aerial Photography, or literally dozens of other things.

But in these forums, by convention it stands for Affinity Photo, which is why it gets underlined & has a popup.

FE5CC2C7-08C8-4B75-9C5D-979232CDC9A7.gif

Alfred spacer.png