You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer's equivelent of Adove Book Files

Hey all!

Does Affinity Publisher have an equivalent to a "book" file where I can string multiple documents together for rendering into full fledged PDF for print? I'm working on a graphic novel and I'm not keen on the idea of creating one massive super document when I can have a way to organize and see the entire project without having every chapter open.

Here's an example (and link) from someone else's work online of an indesign book for reference: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vdcek7LPAH8/maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by J.L.Trout

Hello @J.L.Trout, and welcome to the forums.

I think that this is something one might look for in Publisher rather than Designer. It could be that Publisher's Data Merge might do what you want, looking at your posted images.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

2 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I think that this is somethink one might look for in Publisher rather than Designer. It could be that Publisher's Data Merge might do what you want, looking at your posted images.

John

Oh, right, that's what I meant (derp!)

19 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I think that this is somethink one might look for in Publisher rather than Designer. It could be that Publisher's Data Merge might do what you want, looking at your posted images.

John

Any comprehensive tutorials on how Data Merge works and should I expect much larger files? Larger files is what I'm trying to avoid.

16 hours ago, J.L.Trout said:

Hey all!

Does Affinity Publisher have an equivalent to a "book" file where I can string multiple documents together for rendering into full fledged PDF for print? I'm working on a graphic novel and I'm not keen on the idea of creating one massive super document when I can have a way to organize and see the entire project without having every chapter open.

Here's an example (and link) from someone else's work online of an indesign book for reference: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vdcek7LPAH8/maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

The feature of the „Book“ in Affinity Publisher was mentioned by Andy in the article here: https://affinityspotlight.com/article/creating-the-affinity-publisher-workbook/ 

Screenshot 2021-03-22 at 9.04.01.png

iMac: 3,6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9 / Graphic: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB / System: Sonoma 14.1 (23B74)

• 6 months later...
9 hours ago, vwatson said:

I have Publisher 1.10.1, was this never implemented? I don't see a Books panel in my software.

Not yet.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, katrinrr said:

how long do we have to wait?

Until they decide it's ready to release. It will first appear in a beta, probably not in 1.10, but possibly in some later version 1 release (1.11, 1.12, ...). Serif usually does not reveal plans for upcoming features.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 hours ago, vwatson said:

I have Publisher 1.10.1, was this never implemented?

The original statement "sometime after 1.9 release," though it does suggest 1.10, does not necessarily require it. However, it may be helpful to know that 1.10 actually began as 1.9.4, but the particular improvements brought out in that minor beta eventually were judged by Serif to be more substantial than originally planned, so they changed the version number accordingly. That much is public knowledge. So we infer from that that 1.10 was not the intended next big release, and we assume that the features originally intended for what would have been 1.10 are therefore pushed back to a subsequent major release.

I hope it's soon. I love the program and have a 200 page activity book I created with it, but the one-file approach is far too unwieldy for me to do that again. I much prefer the book-file approach with each chapter/section as a separate file. For now, Publisher is mainly sitting on the shelf, except for small projects. 🙁

Why not go the PDF route? Have a new file for each layout. Export to PDF and put together with a PDF viewer like Acrobat or put together in Publisher. You could even get it all setup and then change and simply update the PDF file once laid out in Publisher. Personally I like having everything in one document, though I can see issues with Publisher, unless they have corrected it. I did some tests a while back with simple text and Publisher became very laggy after 400 pages or so (if memory serves me).