You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Advise Please: Sharpen image & Identify font (split)

• Staff

@Josie

I have split this post from the other thread (which is now hidden as you are not addressing it's fundamental problem). Others here may help you but to be honest you are wearing the patience of many forum regulars quite thinly.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Josie said:

how do I identify a particular font that I want from an image?

Have you tried Googling "How can I identify a font?"

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, Josie said:

How do I sharpen an image in affinity designer?

Since Designer is a vector-based program, why should you want to want to sharpen a vector image?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

7 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Since Designer is a vector-based program, why should you want to want to sharpen a vector image?

The OP may have a raster image. Some people have Designer and not Photo. Designer has a collection of raster image tools in its Pixel Persona - it has none of Photo's filters, but it does have Sharpen Brush Tool.

2 hours ago, Josie said:

how do I identify a particular font that I want from an image?

If you can crop the image so that it just shows the font you want to identify (preferably on a plain background) you can save the cropped version and upload it to somewhere like the website below, which will attempt to identify it for you.

Alternatively, if you upload the cropped image to this forum, certain forum members are pretty good at identifying fonts they may have used before and they may assist you in identifying it. 

https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

This is the nearest I could find in a quick search

https://www.whatfontis.com/FF_BERNIERShade-Regular.font?text=PUG

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

As previously mentioned by anon2, Designer has no real sharpening facilities except for the Sharpen Brush Tool.

If this tool does not do what you want to do you will need to find a better/bigger quality copy of the image or find a different, (free to use) image. 

Or, @Josie, you might learn how to create your own images, rather than borrowing someone else's images. Then you won't need to sharpen them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi Josie,
If you aren't willing to draw them (for whatever reason) and prefer to use images, you certainly can do so as long as they are copyright free or you are willing to pay/purchase them if copyrighted. Most of the images (if not all) you have posted as examples in the forum are watermarked - meaning someone owns the rights of these images - and as such they must be purchased/acquired to be used in derivative works. If you purchase them you can download a high quality version of these images without any watermarks and you no longer have to try to remove the watermark or improve/sharpen them in any way to make them usable. 

If you not are willing to pay for them (for whatever reason), just search for images on sites that do provide copyright free images (note some of them may require attribution, that is, disclose the author of the source images you used in your derivative composition). For example if you need some cartoon vector images, go to Google and search for "free cartoon vectors". The top two sites you will get (freepick.com and vecteezy.com) provide a huge amount of them. Make sure you set the license type to free in their filters section and you should get a huge number of images you can use. Hope this helps a bit.

• Staff

Hi Josie,
If you are using Affinity Designer, the only way to sharpen images is by using the Sharpen Brush Tool in Pixel Persona as was mentioned above. Just paint over the area you want to sharpen with it.
If you have access to Affinity Photo you can use the Unsharp Mask or High Pass live filters (along with their built in masks if you need to constrain the sharpen to certain areas) among other techniques (just google "how to sharpen images + Affinity Photo" or similar) to sharpen your images.

Here's some links you may want to take a look that will help:
Five Ways to Sharpen with Affinity Photo (shared by Scott Williams)
How to Apply High Pass Sharpening in Affinity Photo (by Robin Whalley on YouTube)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Josie, you've come back with another attempt to get others to modify a licenced image. I'm so fed up with you ignoring warnings I think I'll just tell all the license owners what you're doing and let them deal with you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon