Layers Guide - Understanding Masks, Moves, Crops, Clips, and Adjustments

YES, that is the difference!!!! Got it. I tried to duplicate the letters and the rectangel  in my workspace to excersize this. I just found out, that if you use a brush in a pixel layer, and then RightClick 'mask to below' it works as in your worksheet. ( @Dave Vector  )    But starting with a vector shape as I did, you have to  first 'rasterise to Mask' and then 'mask to below' 

the difference is the vector shape as a mask and a pixel layer as a mask.  THANKS @anon2

Yolanda

On 4/10/2021 at 9:15 AM, Dave Vector said:

Thanks @anon2. The crop icon AD uses to indicate a vector mask confuses me.  I think there are a few things about layers that are not intuitive or easy.  I will update the cheat sheet.

Yeah, the crop icon is shown on layers regardless of whether it's vector or pixel.
If it's a pixel, it supposed not to be a vector mask.

@Dave Vector, your cheat sheet is missing vector crops with transparencies that will act as non-destructive masks.

Those can include various multi-nested layers with non-destructive compounds, groups etc. All children will be hidden if applied as a crop to an object, but all attributes will remain intact and editable when temporarily released. It can get as complex as needed, with zillions of vector objects. No "rasterize to mask" needed as long as the fills and strokes are composed using opacity values (the actual color values are then irrelevant). Shuffle between Photo and Designer to make use of all available Designer vector tools in Photo's bitmap masking context, and vice versa if you want to apply e.g. Photo's live filters in Designer.

12 hours ago, loukash said:

All children will be hidden if applied as a crop to an object, but all attributes will remain intact and editable

In the meantime I've discovered a way to edit the nested but inaccessible vector child objects without releasing the parent crop layer:

1. open document in Designer
  2. option-click the crop layer thumbnail to isolate the layer
  3. switch to outline view: easier for #4 right below
  4. select individual curves or nodes with the Node tool
  5. switch back to vector or pixel view for live preview
  6. edit any appearance attributes, curves, shapes or nodes of the previously selected child object

Doesn't necessarily work for individual compound sub-objects or adjustment/filter layers. To edit those, the crop layer still needs to be released, i.e. simply by temporarily making it a clipped object instead of being a crop.

Let me know if you need a screencast to demo how it works.