You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A font doesn't show all the styles

Hello I have a weird issue with the font caviar dreams.

For whatever the reason in the system at home it show all the variants of the font, regular, italic, bold, bold italic, but I went to the office today only to find out that there with the same fonts and the fonts working on others apps, the affinity designer can't see italic and bold of that font for some reason.

I don't know if this is present in another font I just use this for a work and I get the error when I open the file that the caviar dreams bold is missing.

I checked in other applications and the font manager I use and the font is there.

I tried to install in system just in case and still it doesn't work... I'm confused, everything between my home and office are at sync, windows, affinity versions, etc.

Is there an option that I miss and probably force this font out?

Thank you!

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

15 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi Nitro,

If possible could you provide the fonts in question so I can look into this further with you?

Thanks

Callum

Thanks for your respond, I will be at my office later on and I will upload it.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

18 minutes ago, Callum said:

If possible could you provide the fonts in question so I can look into this further with you?

cc @nitro912gr

The original fonts can be downloaded from FontSquirrel - https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Caviar-Dreams

I am guessing this is related to the PostScript name field in the Regular font.
Another user recently reported an issue with the Arial Nova fonts which are constructed the same way.
He did not respond to a request for more info, but I did look closely at the Arial Nova fonts.

These fonts have the same issue.
In the Regular font the PostScript Name field (used for PDF output) is not the recommended format.
It says: CaviarDreams
Should be: CaviarDreams-Regular
The other fonts PostScript Name fields are OK.
- CaviarDreams-Italic
- CaviarDreams-Bold
- CaviarDreams-BoldItalic

It appears that Affinity apps and/or PDFLib have a problem with this truncated PostScript Name.

I created a testing version of the fonts with a fixed PostScript Name field.
It is called: Caviar Dreams FPSN (for Fixed PostScript Names)
The attached .7z file includes both the original and fixed fonts.
Since the family name is different you can install both.
Caviar Dreams - original and fixed.7z

Test those fonts and see if your PDF issue is solved.
Best way to test is to create a document with all the fonts used.
That way you can see if the PDF library can sort them all out properly.

@Callum
As I mentioned above Arial, Arial Nova, and Arial Nova Condensed are constructed the same way.
Since virtually all Windows 10 users are going to have these fonts this issue is fairly important.

I can provide the fonts I use and I will test yours once I go to my office.

indeed the fonts don't use regular after the name but not sure how is this working in one PC and not in the other one. Maybe it is some service pack on windows part?

I just noticed that the windows at home are 1903 and at office 1909, but I'm not sure if I found out this problem before or after I did the update to 1909.

Caviar-Dreams.zip

edit: I traced back the font, I got it many years before from this blog http://www.nymfont.com/2009/06/new-caviar-dreams-font.html

not sure if it is the same version with the font squirrel, I will check it at office. Nexusfont report mine as version 4.0

Current Workstation:

21 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

cc @nitro912gr

The original fonts can be downloaded from FontSquirrel - https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/Caviar-Dreams

I am guessing this is related to the PostScript name field in the Regular font.
Another user recently reported an issue with the Arial Nova fonts which are constructed the same way.
He did not respond to a request for more info, but I did look closely at the Arial Nova fonts.

These fonts have the same issue.
In the Regular font the PostScript Name field (used for PDF output) is not the recommended format.
It says: CaviarDreams
Should be: CaviarDreams-Regular
The other fonts PostScript Name fields are OK.
- CaviarDreams-Italic
- CaviarDreams-Bold
- CaviarDreams-BoldItalic

It appears that Affinity apps and/or PDFLib have a problem with this truncated PostScript Name.

I created a testing version of the fonts with a fixed PostScript Name field.
It is called: Caviar Dreams FPSN (for Fixed PostScript Names)
The attached .7z file includes both the original and fixed fonts.
Since the family name is different you can install both.
Caviar Dreams - original and fixed.7z

Test those fonts and see if your PDF issue is solved.
Best way to test is to create a document with all the fonts used.
That way you can see if the PDF library can sort them all out properly.

@Callum
As I mentioned above Arial, Arial Nova, and Arial Nova Condensed are constructed the same way.
Since virtually all Windows 10 users are going to have these fonts this issue is fairly important.

Just used your fixed font, it works.

But then again only affinity have this special need, should we fill it as a bug or something? I have fonts from all times and ages, I can't have an app being picky on what works and whatnot.

Current Workstation:

7 hours ago, nitro912gr said:

Just used your fixed font, it works.

7 hours ago, nitro912gr said:

should we fill it as a bug or something?

Yes, this needs to be added to the Affinity Bug Tracker by one of the Affinity reps.
Let's see if we can get the attention of some of the bug forum reps.

@Jon P or @Gabe or @Patrick Connor or @AdamW or somebody on the Affinity team ...

I have already seen this same issue here in the forums 3-4 times.
Please add this issue to the developers bug tracker so it can be addressed.

3 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

Let's see if we can get the attention of some of the bug forum reps.

You are supposed to "get their attention" by posting in one of the Bug forums. Have you, or anyone, done that yet?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

43 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You are supposed to "get their attention" by posting in one of the Bug forums. Have you, or anyone, done that yet?

in the feedback part of the forum?

nevermind found it I was one level below the main forum and couldn't see it. I will go report it.

Current Workstation:

• Staff

Hi nitro912gr,

I'll close your other thread as I've moved this into bugs as it is better to deal with this one (having all the information above).

I've just tried the original Caviar Dreams on my home PC (Windows 10 1903) and also on my work PC (Windows 1909) and both display all 4 fonts without an issue. I then downloaded Arial Nova from the Microsoft store (as mentioned by LibreTraining) and that is also working for me!

What font manager is it you're using nitro912gr?

CaviarDreams.jpg

ArialNova.jpg

Hello again, I use nexus font in both systems. I also installed the font locally and still the 2 versions wasn't shown.

That font that is provided by @LibreTraining above worked. I'm not sure what is this he is saying about changing in it about the PostScript name. Can you compare those fonts?

Probably the problem is system specific but as I said I tried other applications and the font was working. I tried adobe suite and libre office. So I can only assume that something, somewhere within designer conflict with something that is specific in that system at my office. I just can't pin it down to report it.

edit: just to clarify the problem was language agnostic. It is not that I used Greek and didn't show. It is not showing at all in the font list no matter the language of the original file that I worked at home.

Current Workstation:

Hi everyone,

I am glad this topic is already being discussed as I am seeing a similar issue for another font.

Font: Bahnschrift

image.png.a84af87ba650d7564b11cc20079ee6f0.png

As you can see, every font style is named "Regular".

Bahnschrift is an original Microsoft font (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/font-list/bahnschrift)

Here you can see how Word is handling it:

image.png.6112766e4d1e77de3feccfee3aaf2e1f.png

Details about my environment:

Are you using the latest release version?

Affinity Designer v1.8.3.641

Can you reproduce it?

Yes

Does it happen for a new document? If not do you have a document you can share that shows the problem?

It appears also for a new document

If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:
   What is your operating system and version (Windows 10, OSX Mojave, iOS 12 etc)?

Windows 10 Version 1909 (Build: 18363.778)
   What happened for you (and what you expected to happen)

I expect to see the same font styles as shown in Word (Microsoft Office)
   Provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did).

Just open the font selection and look for style of font "Bahnschrift"
   Screenshots (very handy) or a screen capture/video.

See above
   Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers.

Nothing special installed. If relevant I can provide more HW specs.

Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware)

This is the first time the issue occured. I have not used Bahnschrift before with Affinity Designer. The font styles are available in Inkscape if this information helps. See screenshot below from Inkscape:

image.png.2b3bbbb07d7f612d8810d308bf640d8d.png

Hopefully you can find fix for this.

Cheers,

Michael

• Staff

23 hours ago, nitro912gr said:

Hello again, I use nexus font in both systems. I also installed the font locally and still the 2 versions wasn't shown.

That font that is provided by @LibreTraining above worked. I'm not sure what is this he is saying about changing in it about the PostScript name. Can you compare those fonts?

Probably the problem is system specific but as I said I tried other applications and the font was working. I tried adobe suite and libre office. So I can only assume that something, somewhere within designer conflict with something that is specific in that system at my office. I just can't pin it down to report it.

edit: just to clarify the problem was language agnostic. It is not that I used Greek and didn't show. It is not showing at all in the font list no matter the language of the original file that I worked at home.

Thanks for that - I've tried Nexus Font and was still unable to replicate it so not entirely sure what might be up here! I'll pass your comments onto development and see what they have to say! 

34 minutes ago, Lorendin said:

Hi everyone,

I am glad this topic is already being discussed as I am seeing a similar issue for another font.

Font: Bahnschrift

Hi Lorendin,

The issue with Bahnschrift is different to the one discussed. Bahnschrift is a variable font, which we are currently not yet supported. This is something we're aware of however.

11 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Hi Lorendin,

The issue with Bahnschrift is different to the one discussed. Bahnschrift is a variable font, which we are currently not yet supported. This is something we're aware of however.

Ok, good to know. Thanks for the fast reply.

• 2 years later...

Hi there !

I'm here to bring back this old topic as I'm having a similar problem with my version of Affinity Designer.

I'm using google font Big shoulder Display (that I've already been using in a different project, same product key, different computer) and it's not showing all of the styles.

The font is working perfectly in others softwares (photoshop etc)

It's really weird as this font used to work on a different computer... Can anyone help me ?

2022-05-16 12_24_32-Affinity Designer.png

1 hour ago, Sardine said:

It's really weird as this font used to work on a different computer... Can anyone help me ?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Probably, on the computer where it works you have the Static version of the font installed, and on the computer where it doesn't work you have the Variable version of the font. The Affinity applications do not support Variable fonts.

The download file from Google Fonts should have a folder labeled Static containing the font files you need to use.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1