Jump to content

LibreTraining

Members
  • Content Count

    388
  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About LibreTraining

  • Rank
    Advanced Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I am familiar with the thin spaces used in French for guillemots, etc. But, I did not see any mention of a language in the original post, only a spacing issue (kerning). Some fonts have very poor spacing settings for punctuation, and even across the entire font. Until the original poster clarifies the actual issue ... we do not know if it is a language related spaces issue, or a font related character spacing issue. What is the language being used? Is it a language which normally uses the "thin space" type spacing around punctuation? What is the font being used? Is the font some poorly made junk font, or a quality font? It appears some of us made the assumption it was a language thin space issue, just like I made the assumption is a character spacing issue. @Gaunilo Please clarify.
  2. That spacing is a decision by the font designer. You may be able to simply fix the font. If it can be modified ... Just increase the left side bearing on those characters.
  3. "Install" was not in the right-click menu originally because you need to run as Administrator to install fonts for all users. Right-click on Windows Explorer and select Run as Administrator, and then browse to the fonts, and then highlight the fonts, right-click and select Install (or Install for All Users).
  4. Where is this font from? I could not find it with a search, and there is no link to the designer (Megan Watson) in the font metadata. It appears the font is an Apple SBIX color font.
  5. These kind of problems are relatively easy compared to other font issues. Just the font metadata needs to be cleaned-up and that can be done in free tools like FontForge. You do need to know what to do - that can be learned from the FontLab and/or Glyphs documentation. What I do ... Usually the easiest way is to drop all the fonts into FontLab TransType as it enables you to fix both the Typographic Names and Styling Groups all at once, and it correctly configures the PostScript Name and the Unique Font Name at the same time. TransType has a few bugs, so bigger families or more severe cases can be done in FontLab. I did take a look the fonts ... both the Typographic Names and Styling Groups (and the rest) are messed-up. And really old v1. Surprised they worked at all. FYI, sites like ufont are not font sites, they are advertising driven sites which use old fonts for bait. That is why they don't put the whole family in a single ZIP file (like FontSquirrel or FontLibrary), but instead force you to go from page to page to get each font to drive the page views. Zero concern about the quality of the fonts.
  6. Do you also have any PostScript Type 1 fonts installed? There have been some other posts where the user had both the Type 1 font and the OpenType font installed of the same name. This appeared to cause a corruption in the Affinity font cache. Do you have an ArialMT Type 1 font installed?
  7. Windows font manager and apps like Word use the older Styling Groups name fields to categorize the fonts. Since these fonts appear to be very old TrueType fonts (1997) you would expect these names to be correctly configured to work in Windows apps, but there may still be errors. This is why they look correct in the Windows font manager. Modern apps like Affinity use the Typographic Family and Subfamily names (not Styling Groups). It is highly unlikely in fonts this old that these names were correctly configured, and quite possibly not filled-in at all. Based on your screenshot in your first post, that appears to be the case. The fonts could be fixed fairly easily.
  8. Cannot analyze it properly at the moment, but a quick look on my phone shows it is a color font. Affinity apps do not yet support color fonts.
  9. A W-A-Guess ... a "set" of old PS Type 1 fonts which, because of the limited number of characters per font, had separate "fonts" for each language. Dunno. Obviously just a WAG. 😁
  10. Please provide more specific info on the "missing" fonts. Type of fonts? Names of fonts? Operating system? I have many installed fonts with full Polish language support which work fine.
  11. A bunch of nonsense characters is often an indication of a font cache corruption. Clear your font cache and see if that helps.
  12. A similar issue: The current font from Google Fonts has overlaps. They solved it by using a version of the font without overlaps downloaded from FontSquirrel.
  13. The Affinity folks have said that they are working on a solution for the Glyph Browser issues with big swash fonts (in some other threads about the same issue). Regarding the Positional Attributes issue in the Typography panel, the thread I linked above is the first time I have seen a response. And getting their attention and getting it logged is a step towards getting it solved. They seem to be working hard getting stuff fixed so I am hopeful. 🙂
  14. You're welcome. Yes, it is sometimes hard to find related stuff. There was another post regarding this issue - and I could not find it again. I was also going to add it to my post above, but no luck finding it. There are a few other OpenType issues where some features and the Typography panel are not yet working 100%. But at least now you know how to work around this one. 😎
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.