You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

IDML import: Thank you, but I need some options!

Thanks for adding the ability to import IDML files. This certainly makes transitioning away from InDesign more of a possibility, even when it is not quite there yet.

What I miss at the moment are some options for importing. I noticed that when I import an IDML, the document settings are generally set to embed images instead of linking, and the document resolution is set to a curious 72 dpi? I would appreciate to have the option to change these settings when I import the file, as perhaps some preferences with regards to the pages you want to import and such.

• Staff

We should be reading embedded/linked status from documents and bringing them in linked (or it did from some tests I did), does this not seem to be the case for you?

The document resolution we set to 72DPI because there is no document DPI setting to read from in the IDML file, InDesign doesn't have a document wide DPI like we do. We can maybe change this to look for the highest DPI image in the document and use that - I've mentioned this to the developers

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

72 DPI is the pixel resolution of the display on the original Macintosh from 1984, and for a long time has been the default "assumed" display resolution across many platforms.

More recently, particularly with the introduction of the so-called "retina" and "hi-dpi" technologies, graphics/windowing systems are starting to become a bit smarter about the actual DPI of a given display, or at least something much closer to it...

Much higher resolutions are required for printing - 300 DPI for photo-quality prints for example - and since the Affinity products, Publisher in particular, seem to be targeting the print industry primarily, wouldn't it make a bit more sense to target the 300 DPI resolution as a default?

Note that even the display on a typical modern iPad is well over 200 DPI...

51 minutes ago, fde101 said:

...- and since the Affinity products, Publisher in particular, seem to be targeting the print industry primarily, wouldn't it make a bit more sense to ... not have a document dpi to begin with?

There. fixed it for you xD

Really, there is not a good usage case for a document dpi in a layout application (nor a vector drawing application). Well, nor a forced color profile...

Those images that are linked, or embedded, in an IDML have a resolution. Read/use/calculate that rather than pick/force a number.

10 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Really, there is not a good usage case for a document dpi in a layout application

True.  However, the file format being shared with Photo places the Affinity suite in a somewhat unique position of benefiting from having this set (for the benefit of documents that are then opened in Photo), even though it technically should make little or no difference to the operation of Publisher, except when rasterizing a layer.

11 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Read/use/calculate that rather than pick/force a number.

Agreed, as long as the IDML has such images.  If importing an IDML file with no images at all, the program still needs *something* to default to.  Also, depending on how images are scaled, the maximum placed or "original" DPI of any embedded images might not be the most appropriate either.

I really needed to have drank that first cup of coffee before my mild venting...

IDML only contains a couple clues as to a particular document's intent. And one shouldn't ferret out that intent, and hence document resolution, based upon those clues.

I suppose the "best" way forward (seeing how Affinity Publisher and Designer are stuck using a faulty document dpi model. Oops, I di8d it again), would be to simply ask the user upon opening an IDML what dpi to use/setup the APub document to...and that answer ought to be sticky.

3 hours ago, Jon P said:

We should be reading embedded/linked status from documents and bringing them in linked (or it did from some tests I did), does this not seem to be the case for you?

It always seems to embed them, even if the original ID file would always link them.

• Staff

It always seems to embed them, even if the original ID file would always link them.

I'm not seeing this from some test files I have and a quick test file I jus designed in ID with a linked/embedded image, it seemed to come in with one linked and one embedded for me.

Can you attach a problem file with linked resources for me to look at?

would be to simply ask the user upon opening an IDML what dpi to use/setup the APub document to

I've logged an improvement for this, I think something along the lines of how we handle PDF import as it's a similar scenario (offer to estimate based on what is inside the file, or simply let the user override it)

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

39 minutes ago, postmadesign said:

Out of curiosity, are you Placing your IDML file or Opening it? (You've only said "importing", I think, so I'm not sure.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, postmadesign said:

I've done a number of IDML imports/Opens and all of the many linked files came in linked. Only items that were created within ID such as rectangles, circles, etc. were embedded. 

I think it would be good to ask upon opening what DPI is preferred for the doc. 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Estimate/ask for document DPI when importing IDML files) of the program in the latest customer beta. If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.