Jump to content
Pipit

Canon 6D mk II 2 years now and still no support on .CR2

Recommended Posts

How come AP don't support my camera? They say it's on the list but that's inaccurate because RAW files are still in magenta. This is very visible if I use bit higher ISO and pic is underexposed. I'll place example here and you guys can check it yourself. Open it and you'll see what I mean.

IMG_7587.CR2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is indeed quite strange. Has to do something with Affinity's RAW engine I guess. I can't help you with this, but I can confirm that Photoshop does not have this problem, while in Affinity Photo the photo has a highly visible magenta shift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TamasC said:

That is indeed quite strange. Has to do something with Affinity's RAW engine I guess. I can't help you with this, but I can confirm that Photoshop does not have this problem, while in Affinity Photo the photo has a highly visible magenta shift.

And Ps did it in 2 months...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't hate on Affinity personally. We have to take into account that Affinity's very small compared to Adobe and also, they don't milk you for $52.99 a month, like Adobe does. Affinity Photo is tremendously good value, but everything has its downsides.

I agree though that it shouldn't take 2 years to add proper support for one of the biggest manufacturer's camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Pipit,

I had no problem opening and developing your CR2 Raw file. Severely underexposed image of golf game? What version of AP are you running? This is done in the current retail release. I also tried it in the current Beta.

Canon6D2IMG_7587.jpg


Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 ; Affinity Photo Beta 1.7.2.464; Win10 Home Version:1903, Build: 18362.207: Intel Core i7-4770, 3.90GHz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

@Pipit,

I had no problem opening and developing your CR2 Raw file. Severely underexposed image of golf game? What version of AP are you running? This is done in the current retail release. I also tried it in the current Beta.

Canon6D2IMG_7587.jpg

That's just what I mean. The pic is way more magenta than it should be. I'll put .jpeg that was converted by DPP 4 to .TIFF and opened in AP.

IMG_7587_iso_fb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about using adobe raw to dng app?

Are you using the serif raw engine or the apple raw engine, assuming you are on mac¬¬


iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - FeedbackInstagram & Flickr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

What about using adobe raw to dng app?

Are you using the serif raw engine or the apple raw engine, assuming you are on mac¬¬

Sorry I didn't say it, but I use Win 10 and I haven't found app that converts to .dng.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Pipit said:

Sorry I didn't say it, but I use Win 10 and I haven't found app that converts to .dng.

http://www.adobe.com/go/dng_converter_win


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Pipit

I'm not sure what the problem is here.

The first screenshot below shows your RAW file open in the Develop persona of the latest Beta of AP, no changes made.

The second shows what I see if I press Develop and then apply a little Brightness and Contrast in the same version of AP.

Finally, when opened in Canon's own DPP4 (latest version, 3rd screenshot).  I honestly see very little difference between this and my first screenshot, perhaps a little darker.

Jeff

 

 

ScreenShot00582.jpg

ScreenShot00583.jpg

ScreenShot00584.jpg


Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 and Intel HD530 Graphics

 

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it's a 12800 ISO, at 180mm on f2.8 image, so you also can't expect quality miracles from that shot.


☛ Affinity Designer 1.7.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.7.1 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it's a low quality image and Affinity can not make it any better!

It needs a huge white balance/exposure correction to get something like this out of it.

I checked in in Capture One 12 and the result is the same but without the magenta artefact.

First Image is developed in Affinity Photo And I used Topaz DeNoise AI:

example-affinity-raw.jpg

Second image also in Affinity Photo, but with Topaz Adjust AI and I used Topaz DeNoise AI:

example-affinity-raw-adjust.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Pipit :)

As you have mentioned the Canon 6D Mk2 is a compatible RAW format for Affinity Photo, as can be seen by our supported RAW list here - 

I have downloaded a sample RAW image from Photography Blog and opened this in Affinity Photo, then compared this to the sample JPEG of the same image -

image.png

As far as I can see, the images are visually similar (ignoring the post processing applied to the JPEG) and no magenta cast is apparent.

Your issue seems to be image specific, your RAW file is heavily underexposed and has been taken at the highest ISO point. You may be able to recover this image using the advice provided above, but no photo software can work miracles and certain tones (such as magenta) may be accentuated in this process - needing further image manipulation to reduce this.

Perhaps you could add a Curves adjustment to your image, set the channel to Red and drag the curve down to reduce the magenta tones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it was a demo shot for glo'f balls. ^_^

ON1 Raw opens this very dark and grainy, So does PS RAW see images below...

Adobe camera raw: Straight in no processing.
911462391_ScreenShot2019-08-12at16_20_28.thumb.png.b587d81246ed97cae9acde5ae014b76e.png

 

Adobe camera raw: Clicking Auto.
616414122_ScreenShot2019-08-12at16_20_44.thumb.png.87d8e9a227697f9cc77a5d04e5ab7570.png

 


iMac 27" Late 2015 Fully Loaded, iMac 27" Mid 2011 both running High Sierra 10.13.6 - Affinity Designer/Photo & Publisher - Illustrator CC, Inkscape, Blender, Sketchup, Pepakura Designer, MTC, Pixelmator & Pixelmator Pro + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9 B|  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - FeedbackInstagram & Flickr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, emmrecs01 said:

@Pipit

I'm not sure what the problem is here.

The first screenshot below shows your RAW file open in the Develop persona of the latest Beta of AP, no changes made.

The second shows what I see if I press Develop and then apply a little Brightness and Contrast in the same version of AP.

Finally, when opened in Canon's own DPP4 (latest version, 3rd screenshot).  I honestly see very little difference between this and my first screenshot, perhaps a little darker.

Jeff

 

 

ScreenShot00582.jpg

ScreenShot00583.jpg

ScreenShot00584.jpg

You can't see difference in first and third pic on the sides? There's a huge amount of magenta there in AP but how come DPP4 doesn't have it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Pipit said:

There's a huge amount of magenta there in AP

There’s a huge amount of magenta in your first APh pic, but not in Jeff’s.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Alfred said:

There’s a huge amount of magenta in your APh pic, but not in Jeff’s.

edit: I was just stupid about the name sorry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Alfred said:

There’s a huge amount of magenta in your first APh pic, but not in Jeff’s.

My only AP pic is processed through DPP4 to make it .TIFF and opened it in AP to make it .jpeg. It doesn't have magenta at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pipit said:

My only AP pic is processed through DPP4 to make it .TIFF and opened it in AP to make it .jpeg. It doesn't have magenta at all.

I’m really confused now! When @Ron P. posted his result from opening and developing your CR2 file, you responded by saying

Quote

That's just what I mean. The pic is way more magenta than it should be.

So, as I said in my previous post, there’s a huge amount of magenta in your pic when you open it in APh (because you said so yourself) and there’s a huge amount of magenta when Ron opens it (as he showed us) but Jeff gets a different result.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alfred said:

I’m really confused now! When @Ron P. posted his result from opening and developing your CR2 file, you responded by saying

So, as I said in my previous post, there’s a huge amount of magenta in your pic when you open it in APh (because you said so yourself) and there’s a huge amount of magenta when Ron opens it (as he showed us) but Jeff gets a different result.

I didn't mean his DPP4 pic. I meant his AP Development persona pic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pipit said:

I didn't mean his DPP4 pic. I meant his AP Development persona pic. 

I meant the same — and I thought Ron did, too, which is why I’m so confused. Maybe I should just drop out of this discussion!


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Pipit :)

As you have mentioned the Canon 6D Mk2 is a compatible RAW format for Affinity Photo, as can be seen by our supported RAW list here - 

I have downloaded a sample RAW image from Photography Blog and opened this in Affinity Photo, then compared this to the sample JPEG of the same image -

image.png

As far as I can see, the images are visually similar (ignoring the post processing applied to the JPEG) and no magenta cast is apparent.

Your issue seems to be image specific, your RAW file is heavily underexposed and has been taken at the highest ISO point. You may be able to recover this image using the advice provided above, but no photo software can work miracles and certain tones (such as magenta) may be accentuated in this process - needing further image manipulation to reduce this.

Perhaps you could add a Curves adjustment to your image, set the channel to Red and drag the curve down to reduce the magenta tones.

I know it's high ISO because it's night golf competition with glowing golf balls. I do understand that no software can do miracles but how come DPP4 gets the right tones and AP has huge amount magenta?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Pipit

I really don't want to prolong this thread because I think we are all going round in circles, but, reading again your earlier posts, it seems that the high level of magenta shows on your earlier screenshot because you took your original RAW into DPP4, exported it as .tiff, imported that into APh and that is when the magenta "appears".  I can't explain why this should be; perhaps there is a wrong setting somewhere in your monitor colour profile or the profile of the .tiff is being read wrongly.

As shown in my earlier screenshots, if I take your RAW direct into APh, Develop it (using default settings) and then apply a little Brightness and Contrast, I get the result posted in my second screenshot earlier.  Yes, there is some magenta colour-cast there, though considerably less than is shown in your screenshot, but others have suggested how you may attempt to reduce this.

Why don't you simply open your RAW directly in APh, so bypassing DPP4 completely, and see what results you achieve?  I actually used the latest Beta, which you can download to test from the Beta section of the forum, if you wish.

Jeff


Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 and Intel HD530 Graphics

 

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Pipit,

Then you probably missed my post and I was not clear enough! I needed to switch the white balance on in Affinity Photo and did a heavy correction of the tint to minus 35% to get rid of the magenta.

Affinity is recognizing your RAW images, but there is something wrong with the tint interpretation! In Capture One 12 it's te same low quality image but without the magenta artifact.  

Regards,

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

@Pipit

I really don't want to prolong this thread because I think we are all going round in circles, but, reading again your earlier posts, it seems that the high level of magenta shows on your earlier screenshot because you took your original RAW into DPP4, exported it as .tiff, imported that into APh and that is when the magenta "appears".  I can't explain why this should be; perhaps there is a wrong setting somewhere in your monitor colour profile or the profile of the .tiff is being read wrongly.

As shown in my earlier screenshots, if I take your RAW direct into APh, Develop it (using default settings) and then apply a little Brightness and Contrast, I get the result posted in my second screenshot earlier.  Yes, there is some magenta colour-cast there, though considerably less than is shown in your screenshot, but others have suggested how you may attempt to reduce this.

Why don't you simply open your RAW directly in APh, so bypassing DPP4 completely, and see what results you achieve?  I actually used the latest Beta, which you can download to test from the Beta section of the forum, if you wish.

Jeff

Ok did install the beta and here are the results (only converted to .jpeg and resized them 2048 pix). The other one is for comparison made .TIFF with DPP4 and made it in beta as same size.

IMG_7587_ap_beta.jpg

IMG_7587_ap_beta_tiff.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.