You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Canon 6D mk II 2 years now and still no support on .CR2

Just a note, labelling the images makes for easier comparisons.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

13 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

Why don't you simply open your RAW directly in APh, so bypassing DPP4 completely, and see what results you achieve?

That's what I did on my Mac, using the retail 1.7.1 release of Affinity Photo. The first thing I noticed was the shot has an enormous amount of color noise, exactly what I would expect from the underexposure & maxed out iso setting. With no noise reduction applied, it is very easy to see when zoomed in, like in this section around the golfer on the left:

1339333767_colornoise.jpg.a5390235b6b4962c8fc280635dc4bd8a.jpg

Enabling "Show Clipped Tones" shows that almost every tone that is not bluish or greenish is clipped.

1353183926_clippedtones.jpg.d5d7c007d2e6bb72e0d089edd181adf3.jpg 

Applying Auto White Balance & 100% color noise reduction in Development persona helps, but the developed image is still extremely noisy/grainy:

grainy.jpg.9e3ffbbec82a0e889fe6b3e66ada066f.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
13 hours ago, Pipit said:

how come DPP4 gets the right tones and AP has huge amount magenta?

When opening the RAW file directly in DPP4 vs AP, Canons own software is bound to have slightly better decoding and processing for their own RAW files, as Canon have written the CR2 format, they likely have the best knowledge in regards to processing their own files and saving shots such as yours.

This means you might see faintly see more magenta tones in Affinity Photo, but through mine and other users testing we're not seeing close to the same amount of cast that you provided in your first screenshot.

In a previous post you're comparing a JPEG to a TIFF file, one of these is lossy and compressed (JPEG) and the other is lossless and uncompressed (TIFF) so an 'apples to apples' comparison cannot be made.

50 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

it seems that the high level of magenta shows on your earlier screenshot because you took your original RAW into DPP4, exported it as .tiff, imported that into APh and that is when the magenta "appears"

As emmrecs01 has mentioned above, this appears to be related to the file created by DPP4. Could you provide a copy of your TIFF file after processing through DPP4 please?

9 minutes ago, Pipit said:

I don't care about the noise, what I'm not tolerating is amount of magenta that AP Developer persona brings to RAW -image.

As R C-R has mentioned in his post, there is a lot of colour noise due to the underexposed and high ISO shot. Colour noise appears as magenta (alongside yellow and blue, but these tones aren't as jarring on the image), so the more colour noise, the more magenta the image appears.

It is likely that DPP4 is automatically applying heavy colour noise reduction to your image, and as standard Affinity Photo does not apply this change to the image - hence the slight colour difference. You'll have to manually tweak these settings when developing the file, following the advice provided previously, to reduce this noise level and therefore the magenta cast.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!