I just discovered the Affinity apps. I'm a long time Adobe user, still working on CS6. I'm not willing to do the update to CC because of the monthly charge. I'm not making a living out of graphic work, just doing it for PR and publications of our (non-profit) company.

I just purchased Photo and installed the beta version of Publisher. Looks great!

That being said, here's my question:

In Indesign, I use to import pdf files (exports from music notation software). That doesn't seem to work in Publisher. Or is it just a preference that should be changed. See printscreen attached.

Schermafbeelding 2019-05-19 om 16.22.40.png

Do you have the original notation font installed? PDFs are opened/imported as editable and all document fonts should be installed.

But the whole idea of a PDF (Portable Document Format) is to be able to use the file without the need for all fonts to be installed. For that reason PDFs are created with fonts embedded. The better way to handle this is to import the PDF as is without the need or even the ability to edit the file. Photo and Designer both need this feature as well. Maybe an option to either import or place the document as editable or use the embedded fonts, designers choice. That would be the best of both worlds.

Posted (edited)

I'm having exactely the same problem. And I do have the musical fonts installed!

Anyone ever got a solution for this?

I *LOVE* being able to edit PDF documents in Affinity Publisher. But adding pass-through PDF pages would be awesome and is very crucial for my workflow.

Edited by JeanneGrey

A workaround that I have used is to open the music pdf in Omnipage (import). The export it as a re-named pdf. This usually works. It would probably also work in other pdf editors. I also do have the musical fonts installed.

@Bert_auurk Can I suggest that you change your title to 'Import music pdfs'.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.8,3 Designer 1.8.3 and Publisher 1.8.3 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

It's not my thread, John, so I can't rename it.

I searched for Ominpage, and it's an OCR software ...!? Which technical process do you belive lays behind this workflow?

(But anyway, if I have to use an external tool, I may as well use an external tool just to merge pdf pages.)

15 minutes ago, JeanneGrey said:

Which technical process do you belive lays behind this workflow?

I will have to pass on that one!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.8,3 Designer 1.8.3 and Publisher 1.8.3 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Same issue here. Without the font in PDF import the app for us as a printshop is not usable. Workaround is nice, but it delay production and it easy just to go back to InDesign that does that. Had great hope for that suit, but you got what you paid for I guess...