You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Odd Lens info in Affinity photo 1.7.0.243 Beta

Hi Panlumix,

Unlike the final version 1.6.5 that works correctly, I also have the problem with the beta 243 but the lack of data is mentioned in plain text!

Af-exifs.jpg

Aperture and shutter speed are not mentioned :

Af-beta-exifs.jpg

Strangely, I get the same hex string as you when exiftool is present in the beta "Resources" directory!? And there, aperture and shutter speed are correct.

Af-beta-exifs-1.jpg

Hope if this can help ...

I still have had no response to my original post from Affinity,I have as you can see sent a copy of a photo for them to investigate.I thank you for looking into this for me,I will now try to find how to update the exiftool,I can see I have a version on my system.

I find it rather strange nobody else has posted having the same problem.

I'm not seeing those problems. Exiftool does launch with the current Beta. However I don't know why 2 of them.

exiftool.jpg

rawexifData.jpg

rawexifData-2.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.3..; Affinity Designer 2.3..; Affinity Publisher 2.3..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

2 hours ago, Panlumix said:

I still have had no response to my original post from Affinity,I have as you can see sent a copy of a photo for them to investigate.I thank you for looking into this for me,I will now try to find how to update the exiftool,I can see I have a version on my system.

I find it rather strange nobody else has posted having the same problem.

Hi,

it's easy to update exiftool here : https://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

what is strange is that the final version 1.6.5 came with exiftool ... anyway, I do not remember having put it there before ...

20 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

I'm not seeing those problems. Exiftool does launch with the current Beta. However I don't know why 2 of them.

exiftool.jpg

rawexifData.jpg

rawexifData-2.jpg

Hi,

sorry, but I have two machines on which I installed the beta and neither came with exiftool ... I just put it on one of them to check this problem.

AF without exiftool-1.jpg

AF without exiftool-2.jpg

Photo Beta ships a copy of exiftool.exe, which you can find in the Resources subdirectory in the folder where you installed Photo Beta (e.g.,  by default at C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo Customer Beta\Resources). It's version 11.1.4.0 according to Windows, which is 11.14 in the numbering scheme used by the Exiftool author. (That means that it is 15 releases downlevel at this point, but much newer than the version that ships with the retail version of Photo, which includes version 10.something of Exiftool.)

If you don't see it running when you use Task Manager, then something is wrong. You should see two copies running.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

Hi Walt,that is the problem I do not see it running in Task Manager on the beta version,although it still has the exif data embedded when I open the exif drop down menu.However it does not show the lens on the top line.Capture2.PNG.50fea7aa3f81bba5480bfd2a6db836f5.PNGCapture.PNG.852959312b21e0b49f3cbf123012e818.PNG

I am sorry Mark but this has not been fixed,and I have the latest 251 update.I agree with you on the EXIFTOOL,however this does need updating it is quite a few behind.Looking forward to having this problem resolved,although to some it might seem minor.

17 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

I have a feeling that we have already fixed this, but I need to check when I'm back in the office next week (I don't believe it's anything to do with exiftool, nor will it be solved by updating exiftool - I think...).

Hi Mark,

I think I understood the problem regarding the non-installation of exiftool by the beta ... This happens if we have manually updated exiftool. I just did the test with a clean install of the beta 243 on which I manually updated exiftool with the latest 11.29 version. I then updated with beta 251. In this case, the updating process removes everything but does not reinstall exiftool! It's reproducible.

Other programs use exiftool like Photomatix and Geosetter for example. Geosetter includes an exiftool update process that starts at launch ...

geosetter maj exiftool.jpg

For the Panlumix's problem, I think that AF Photo does not correctly decode the information provided by exiftool ...

exif pb.jpg

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Hi @laurentia, yes, this is to be expected as it will only remove the files that we installed. It knows that the updated exiftool was not installed by us, so it won't remove it.

Sorry Mark, but we did not understand each other! Everything is removed, but the problem is that in this case and in this case only, exiftool is not reinstalled. This is a bug in the update process.
Take the test yourself:
- uninstall the current beta,
-make a clean installation of a previous beta (243 for example),
- replace the exiftool in the Resources folder with the latest version 11.29,
- double-click on the beta 251 installer and click on the update button,
-when it's finished, go back to the Resources folder of the new beta: exiftool is not there!

As I said, it's reproductible.

2 minutes ago, laurentia said:

replace the exiftool in the Resources folder with the latest version 11.29

At this point you have modified the installation, this is not something we anticipate (nor have tested), and not anything that we would support.

In the next release we will no longer ship exiftool, so this entire problem should go away.

Thank you Laurentia,for your input to my problem,and also to Mark for clearing up the same.I use another  library program so I have the EXIF data there to reference from.So now I do not have to rely on AP for this info in the future.

@Panlumix

This appears fixed in .256 (released yesterday) you may want to verify and confirm

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.