You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello!

I'm trying to use Affinity photo to replicate the process in this video (link below). I've looked around for a process similar in affinity photo but haven't found anything very good.

https://fstoppers.com/education/add-colorful-contrast-your-photographs-two-easy-steps-337216

Further more when I add an HSL layer and change the blend mode to color burn this is the result (dog photo attached). I realize affinity photo isn't photoshop however this doesn't seem like the correct result from the blend mode. Adding an HSL layer with color dodge seems to give me the desired effect however still not as effective as "layer fill" seems to be.

Thanks!

_MG_4129.jpg

Welcome @joshua1187 to the forums,

You're link leads to an Fstoppers page but doesn't explain much. I followed a link at the bottom right to PixImperfect's YouTube channel and located a tutorial that I think you're talking about.

The Layer Fill in Photoshop is a Opacity/Transparency adjustment. It functions a little differently than the Opacity adjustment. For more on that you can READ THIS

I'm not sure how to go about this in AP. I've tried following the tutorial. AP does not have a Fill Opacity adjustment. I did play around with the Luminosity Shift on the HSL adjustment. I set each Adjustment to the Blend Modes asked for (Color Burn and Color Dodge). It doesn't appear to respond the same as the Fill in PS. I also tried using the Blend Ranges, accessed by clicking on the small Cog in the lower-right corner of the adjustment dialog. It seems to help a little. I know I didn't get the result you did.

ColorCont_HSL.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

26 minutes ago, >|< said:

To simulate 10% Fill of the Colour Burn HSL, set L to 90% (100 - 10).

To simulate 10% Fill of the Colour Dodge HSL, set L to -91% (-100 + 9).

Why does 10% result in using 10 in Burn but 9 in Dodge?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks guys for the help!

>|<,

So I guess you might say that currently at least what is in the video tutorial isn't really duplicative in AP?

14 hours ago, >|< said:

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Affinity does have a Fill Opacity control tucked away in its Layer Effects controls, but it won't help duplicate the Photoshop result.

The trick is to use the L of HSL in Affinity.

To simulate 10% Fill of the Colour Burn HSL, set L to 90% (100 - 10).

To simulate 9% Fill of the Colour Dodge HSL, set L to -91% (-100 + 9).

Example to download: HSL Colour Dodge Burn Fill.afphoto

(HSL is dysfunctional in the current AP 1.7 beta, so you won't get the correct result in it, but AP 1.6.7 is good.)

before.thumb.png.fee9b7c8b8f3f28e04e3c59ac0770a9a.png  after.thumb.png.b2b7da2fd246368252a59118038e01cf.png

Change your document to

Document > Colour Format > RGB (8 bit)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 4 months later...
On 2/17/2019 at 3:17 PM, Ron P. said:

Welcome @joshua1187 to the forums,

You're link leads to an Fstoppers page but doesn't explain much. I followed a link at the bottom right to PixImperfect's YouTube channel and located a tutorial that I think you're talking about.

The Layer Fill in Photoshop is a Opacity/Transparency adjustment. It functions a little differently than the Opacity adjustment. For more on that you can READ THIS

I'm not sure how to go about this in AP. I've tried following the tutorial. AP does not have a Fill Opacity adjustment. I did play around with the Luminosity Shift on the HSL adjustment. I set each Adjustment to the Blend Modes asked for (Color Burn and Color Dodge). It doesn't appear to respond the same as the Fill in PS. I also tried using the Blend Ranges, accessed by clicking on the small Cog in the lower-right corner of the adjustment dialog. It seems to help a little. I know I didn't get the result you did.

You can adjust fill by Affinity Photo's Layer Effects fx. When you select a layer or adjustments, you click fx and the Layer Effects window pop up.  You can able to change Fill Opacity at bottom right Layer Effects window.  I created a quick video for you.  https://youtu.be/s2XhSt3ucr0

Stuart

Edited by swilson
Grammar

8 hours ago, swilson said:

You can adjust fill by Affinity Photo's Layer Effects fx

Hi Stuart, thanks for your video. I am always keen to learn different methods. Unfortunately the fill opacity in the effects panel has the same effect as layer opacity. The layer fill discussed in this thread is not directly available in Affinity Photo yet, maybe the labelling in the FX panel is a bit confusing. 

There is a way of emulating the effect as described above, again there is a bit of confusion in the thread due to a forum member that seems to have left and taken their comments with them. Its a shame when this happens as members looking through threads at a later date do not get the full story.

The image below demonstrates the difference, top image is using your method with FX fill opacity. The second is using the layer opacity and is the same as the FX method. The bottom image is using the HSL and luminosity slider, this method is the closest to the final result in the Piximperfect video. All 3 examples used a saturation setting of 90%, Opacity/FX fill were set to 10%, the Luminosity shift was set to 90% for the colour burn layer and -90% for the colour dodge layer. 

The bottom shows a different dynamic in the image, there is a little more impact which closely matches the video tutorial.

HSL Colour Burn 3 ways.png

27 minutes ago, Murfee said:

There is a way of emulating the effect as described above, again there is a bit of confusion in the thread due to a forum member that seems to have left and taken their comments with them. Its a shame when this happens as members looking through threads at a later date do not get the full story.

In this particular case, the relevant comments were preserved when quoted by another member:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

In this particular case, the relevant comments were preserved when quoted by another member:

Hi Alfred, They were but there were further explanations that are no longer visible, I was following this thread closely at the time. I was looking for methods to try and replicate some of the Nik filters, as Nik not working in the early 1.7 betas. I use 32bit processing from NEF files and it works a bit differently in that mode.

20 minutes ago, swilson said:

Please can you share your afphoto file, so I can have a look?

Hi Stuart, sorry I didn't save the file as it was just for a quick demo, you can see the layer panel in each of the images in screenshot so you should be able to recreate it. The settings for using the Luminosity slider are in the text of my post. If you have any problems I will be happy to help further.:)

• 9 months later...
On 7/11/2019 at 10:06 AM, Murfee said:

Hi Stuart, sorry I didn't save the file as it was just for a quick demo, you can see the layer panel in each of the images in screenshot so you should be able to recreate it. The settings for using the Luminosity slider are in the text of my post. If you have any problems I will be happy to help further.:)

Affinity broke the HSL Adjustment after I posted the now deleted instructions which worked in AP 1.6.7. Decreasing the L slider currently (1.8.3) decreases both lightness and saturation instead of just lightness. A forum moderator told me that the change in behaviour of the adjustment was done deliberately to make the adjustment match some other software's HSL adjustment.

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2019 at 6:01 PM, swilson said:

You can adjust fill by Affinity Photo's Layer Effects fx. When you select a layer or adjustments, you click fx and the Layer Effects window pop up.  You can able to change Fill Opacity at bottom right Layer Effects window.  I created a quick video for you.  https://youtu.be/s2XhSt3ucr0

Stuart

No, you can't adjust fill using Affinity Photo's Layer Effects. The "FILL" option in Layer Effects is simply mislabeled. It should have read "OPACITY" -- not FILL. There is a difference in how fill and opacity work.

You can almost get close using blend-if. However, after spending a couple of hours with "close" I had to scrap the project because the results were horrendous. "Close" won't do.

We really NEED a fill option in addition to the opacity option. They are not the same and you cannot substitute one for the other because the specialized blend modes react differently to the image being edited.