You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Import AND Export ASE Swatch Files

• Staff

Hi Mark Oehlschlager,
Affinity applications already import ASE (Adobe Swatch Exchange) format/palettes. To import them go to the Swatches panel, click the small menu icon on the top right of the panel and select Import Palette..., then the type of palette you want (document/application or system palette) and finally select the .ase file from the dialog that will open. Export wasn't implemented though.

• 1 year later...

NON-SENSE. I SHOULD HAVE NEVER BOUGHT THE SOFTWARE.

IT CAN IMPORT .ASE FILES BUT CAN'T EXPORT IT? GIVE OUR MONEY BACK.

Desktop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.5, Windows 10 Professional, version 2004 (19041.450), 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60GHz, RX 570
Laptop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.2, Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.450), 8GB memory, Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4600

6 hours ago, ELISE KLEVE said:

NON-SENSE. I SHOULD HAVE NEVER BOUGHT THE SOFTWARE.

IT CAN IMPORT .ASE FILES BUT CAN'T EXPORT IT? GIVE OUR MONEY BACK.

If you purchased directly from Serif (via the Affinity Store) within the past 14 days, please see https://affinity.store/help/#returns for information on returning your purchase.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi ELISE KLEVE,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm sorry to know you're aren't happy with your purchase but as i explained above currently we don't support ASE export. I've moved this thread to the feature requests section in the hope this is considered for a future update. Meanwhile if you really want to get your money back you can request it through the Mac App Store or Windows Store support in case you have bought it through these app stores or sending an e-mail to affinityreturns@serif.com with your name, order number and the reason for returning the app in case you have bought it from the Affinity Store.

It is impossible from the programs user interface to deduct that Designer can import ASE files. In the help file it is stated - so unless you reach and reach this sentence:
image.png.c6407c5f98d493fcaff0082d4a05acea.png

you wont figure it out. The user interface does not give just a little hint in the open file dialog:

image.png.6321a6d6d1e6845c8a0143f337a73a6a.png

So what exactly is an "Affinity File"? Perhaps if we read the entire help file we will know... 😴

EDIT: It is caused by a Windows 10 setting - see this post

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

16 minutes ago, Jowday said:

It is impossible from the programs user interface to deduct that Designer can import ASE files.

On Windows the dialog makes it clear:

image.png.5d5793faaeea29cd64064d3428c55eef.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

On Windows the dialog makes it clear:

image.png.5d5793faaeea29cd64064d3428c55eef.png

Hi @walt.farrell and @MEB

Not here. What am I doing wrong here? Same experience in Designer and Photo - also betas. The file imported in the GIF is an ASE file.

pal.gif.4446de78e407283d5fc9123f3c7e406a.gif

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

You seem to have an odd mix of the Affinity UI being in English (UK) but your system UI being in an language I don't recognize, @Jowday. And from the limited screen view included I'm not sure what release of Windows you use.

-- Walt
PC:

15 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You seem to have an odd mix of the Affinity UI being in English (UK) but your system UI being in an language

That's because Windows interface is in his own language as mine is in French, when AP/AD/APub is in the language set in the preferences (and available).

Viewing the possible extensions is a Windows help (showing them depending of what the programm accept to open/import, etc. depending of the task).

For palettes, they'll only be visible if you've got "show the extensions" checked. When opening a document, it seems the available extensions are always listed.

45 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You seem to have an odd mix of the Affinity UI being in English (UK) but your system UI being in an language I don't recognize, @Jowday. And from the limited screen view included I'm not sure what release of Windows you use.

Windows 10 Professional

46 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Danish? :/

Bingo :235_bee:

57 minutes ago, Wosven said:

For palettes, they'll only be visible if you've got "show the extensions" checked. When opening a document, it seems the available extensions are always listed.

Interesting. Thanks.

I knew that the extensions would only show in the file listing if the user has requested them, but I did not realize that they could be hidden in the filtering box.

-- Walt
PC:

33 minutes ago, Wosven said:

That's because Windows interface is in his own language as mine is in French, when AP/AD/APub is in the language set in the preferences (and available).

Viewing the possible extensions is a Windows help (showing them depending of what the programm accept to open/import, etc. depending of the task).

Thank you @Wosven

So I have to enable displaying of extensions in Windows to see this hint in Windows dialogs as well? Doh! It is a Windows "feature" 😤 

image.png.20fbc82d4decdf979cc9d84079a2c3df.png

Alright I stand corrected - apologies @MEB 

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I knew that the extensions would only show in the file listing if the user has requested them, but I did not realize that they could be hidden in the filtering box.

Not a great concept IMO. I don't need to see file extensions in folders or on the desktop (clutter), but to see them in dialogs in the file type field is very useful.

Then you have to make a dropdown with multiple possible types... not necessarily more user friendly when there is only two options.

Oh well 🙂  

On 4/19/2020 at 6:54 PM, walt.farrell said:

If you purchased directly from Serif (via the Affinity Store) within the past 14 days, please see https://affinity.store/help/#returns for information on returning your purchase.

No, I'll keep the software. My intention for choosing those words is to imply that I'm aggravated but I'm not.

I have edited and renamed each and every color in a palette I made in Designer, hoping that I could reuse it in Illustrator, but the option to export it as .ASE file is missing.

All of my effort is now wasted. Thanks to Affinity.

Desktop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.5, Windows 10 Professional, version 2004 (19041.450), 16GB memory, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60GHz, RX 570
Laptop: Affinity Publisher 1.8.2, Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.450), 8GB memory, Intel Core i5-4200M @ 2.50GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4600

4 hours ago, Wosven said:

Did you try assigning them to objects as spot colors and exporting a file that you'll open in Illustrator to add them to a new palette?

No. I just want it to be exported as ASE to save time.

On 4/21/2020 at 5:53 AM, Elise Kleve said:

No, I'll keep the software. My intention for choosing those words is to imply that I'm aggravated but I'm not.

I have edited and renamed each and every color in a palette I made in Designer, hoping that I could reuse it in Illustrator, but the option to export it as .ASE file is missing.

In an interview with @Ash Ashley Hewson  I think he said (wisely) that Affinity programs should not necessarily replace other similar programs but often supplement them. 

In that light it is fair to expect im- and export of some file types - especially swatches - so Affinity apps can exchange vital data with other key programs like Adobe CC programs and CorelDRAW fx. Both ways.

So I would also expect (and suggest) export of fx ASE files. If Affinity Designer was professional enough to find a place in my business workflow. It simply isn't by any stretch of my imagination.