Jump to content

Recommended Posts

It looks the Publisher is mainly oriented towards graphic designers. I did not see any places to import XML tagged text. To replace the mostly used publisher apps I see a need to import dynamic text to create catalogs and brochures. No idea if this is planned as a future extension or option, or if the focus is as mentioned before mainly for designers.

Would be interesting to know.

Göpf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't work for Affinity so I can't tell you what's planned in the future but what I can tell you is that Publisher has just been released as a beta. Things will come indue course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Seneca said:

I don't work for Affinity so I can't tell you what's planned in the future but what I can tell you is that Publisher has just been released as a beta. Things will come indue course.

:34_rolling_eyes:


4. In order to validate value, release early and often
As I always share in my Professional Scrum Product Owner Trainings when we talk about Value, there is one thing that you as a Product Owner must remember: "You have to release a Product to customers/users, in order to find out if you have delivered value for them!". Unfortunately, I encounter a lot of Product Owners in daily practice, who think that 'working on the Product for just a couple more Sprints' will create a Product that customers/users will certainly love. Often, this results in a lot of disappointments... So, start validating value, by releasing to your customers and users early and often!

https://www.scrum.org/resources/blog/10-tips-product-owners-business-value

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Goepf said:

It looks the Publisher is mainly oriented towards graphic designers. I did not see any places to import XML tagged text. To replace the mostly used publisher apps I see a need to import dynamic text to create catalogs and brochures. No idea if this is planned as a future extension or option, or if the focus is as mentioned before mainly for designers.

Would be interesting to know.

Göpf

Would be interesting indeed. 

+1


4. In order to validate value, release early and often
As I always share in my Professional Scrum Product Owner Trainings when we talk about Value, there is one thing that you as a Product Owner must remember: "You have to release a Product to customers/users, in order to find out if you have delivered value for them!". Unfortunately, I encounter a lot of Product Owners in daily practice, who think that 'working on the Product for just a couple more Sprints' will create a Product that customers/users will certainly love. Often, this results in a lot of disappointments... So, start validating value, by releasing to your customers and users early and often!

https://www.scrum.org/resources/blog/10-tips-product-owners-business-value

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never had much luck with XML tagged text but I am all for including this functionality in Publisher. So that is a 

+1


MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.4

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 | Affinity Photo 1.6.7 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.293 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.0.120 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in the same situation re: creating catalogues from text exported from a database.

In the past I've done that by adding Style Tags - XML and long before that, Quark XPress tags! The tags referred to style sheet names in Quark. I added these tags to an export table in the database. On importing into Quark, the styles were automatically applied, without me having to go through and do it manually. Bliss!

It would be great to know if Publisher could provide the same functionality, as it would greatly enhance its usefulness. What are the chances?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, BillCMartin said:

I'm in the same situation re: creating catalogues from text exported from a database.

In the past I've done that by adding Style Tags - XML and long before that, Quark XPress tags! The tags referred to style sheet names in Quark. I added these tags to an export table in the database. On importing into Quark, the styles were automatically applied, without me having to go through and do it manually. Bliss!

It would be great to know if Publisher could provide the same functionality, as it would greatly enhance its usefulness. What are the chances?

I would agree regarding tagged text. And at that, QuarkXPress-style versus InDesign's version, which is too verbose for my liking.

re QuarkXPress and XML. Quark did away with XML in QXP beginning in version 10. Because QXML is used in their server product, Quark may bring it back to the desktop product. It would be nice. I think. But I've already switched existing customers to use tagged text out of their data back-ends (with one exception for which I still use QXP v. 9  to do).

Mike


My computer is a nothing-special Toshiba laptop with unremarkable specs running Windows 10 64-bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2018 at 4:56 PM, Goepf said:

It looks the Publisher is mainly oriented towards graphic designers. I did not see any places to import XML tagged text.

Obviously, the later (XML handling) is more the domain of tools like FrameMaker, which always offered much stronger capabilities in this text and translation related electronic publishing regard.


☛ Affinity Designer 1.6.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.6.7 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Obviously, the later (XML handling) is more the domain of tools like FrameMaker, which always offered much stronger capabilities in this text and translation related electronic publishing regard.

I was thinking about XML handling last night while I was working on some text styles. What about using XML to define the Paragraph and Character values in Publisher?  You export the text styles catalog as an XML file, then you could edit it in a text editor, then reimport it to update the styles in the document.  You'd be able to search and replace values in the XML to make major tweaks to the way the text is laid out.  That would also make it easy to keep a master set of text styles separate from a document.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael117 said:

I was thinking about XML handling last night while I was working on some text styles. What about using XML to define the Paragraph and Character values in Publisher?  You export the text styles catalog as an XML file, then you could edit it in a text editor, then reimport it to update the styles in the document.  You'd be able to search and replace values in the XML to make major tweaks to the way the text is laid out.  That would also make it easy to keep a master set of text styles separate from a document.  

Easier said than done, we would need to know the proper tags and their allowed values to use in the XML file. Perhaps even the correct ordering of them too. There is some merit to your suggestion about keeping a master set of styles, I just doubt it would result in quicker editing of the various styles.


MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.4

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 | Affinity Photo 1.6.7 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.293 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.0.120 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Easier said than done, we would need to know the proper tags and their allowed values to use in the XML file. Perhaps even the correct ordering of them too. There is some merit to your suggestion about keeping a master set of styles, I just doubt it would result in quicker editing of the various styles.

But what I was thinking is that If I export the default style list, it would be in the right structure already.  I could potentially edit that as a starter kit and copy and paste the basic structure to make as many text styles as I wanted.  And your suggestion of a master set of styles would also be a great addition.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of things are possible with XML with proper DTD or XML schema definitions etc. here.


☛ Affinity Designer 1.6.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.6.7 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Believe it or not, I'm still using legacy Macs with Framemaker 7 for basic database publishing. I need dictionary-style headers that update on the fly, i.e., the first and last entry on the page have to be copied into the headers automatically. I also need at least two, but usually 4 indices. From Wikipedia:

FrameMaker 7.0 

Released in 2002. FrameMaker 7.0 introduced combined SGML and unstructured version, XML application support introduced, Save As PDF fixed, tagged PDF support, improved running header/footer support, document info stored in XMP format. FrameMaker 7.0 was the last version to run on the Macintosh (OS 8/9), HP/UX and IBM AIX.

LaTex can do this but the learning curve is steep:

https://www.latextemplates.com/template/dictionary

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
8 hours ago, TechWriter said:

FrameMaker 7.0 

Released in 2002. FrameMaker 7.0 introduced combined SGML and unstructured version, XML application support introduced, Save As PDF fixed, tagged PDF support, improved running header/footer support, document info stored in XMP format. FrameMaker 7.0 was the last version to run on the Macintosh (OS 8/9), HP/UX and IBM AIX.

LaTex can do this but the learning curve is steep:

https://www.latextemplates.com/template/dictionary

 

Ah, the good old days.  My first experience with FrameMaker was version 3 running on Sun IPCs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well my first contact with FrameMaker was on this platform ...

FrameMaker_next.thumb.gif.7f675c329c716f2b357559aea176beeb.gif

 

... arrows handling >25 years ago and still much better than today seen in some actual products here ...

 

NS1.thumb.gif.4a74f56b4b5520056977dd66b04f6d6a.gif

... later used FrameMaker then on Windows platforms.


☛ Affinity Designer 1.6.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.6.7 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×