You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.0.21861)

• Staff

Hi cgartists,

Are you ever disconnected from your network while the document is open? We currently require access to the file at all times when the document is open, so if the network drive goes away and we decide to do some file operation, it may panic, producing this message. We could look to mitigate this in the future.

Thanks,

Matt

• Staff

Hi JordonWade,

I'm still actually typing on the Corner Tool - I've probably set myself a ridiculous task by trying to make it do everything I wanted it to do (which is much more than the 'minimum' specification that would be required for this type of tool) so it's giving me a few headaches along the way. I'm hoping for it to be in the beta within the next couple of weeks though - and then released on the Mac App Store a few weeks after that :)

Thanks,

Matt

Thanks Matt!

It's great to hear you're working so hard on pushing this tool out. It's probably my most favorite/anticipated tool to come! I can't wait to see what you're doing with it and will gladly practice patience until it arrival.

Cheers,

Jordon

Hi, "Obscure-file-export-crash" Garytagreg here again!  :P

The weird crash on export that I reported a couple of beta versions is back (maybe it never left but it seemed to disappear for a while). I can reliably crash it time after time in the following manner:

• Create a new file (I've been using 1000x1000 pixel image)
  • Draw something (I've been using a single, coloured circle shape)
  • Export it (it doesn't matter what file type ) with the File->Export menu
  • Export it again, but select the same file you just exported (or even another file of the same type)
  • It will pop up a file replace confirmation box, click the replace button
  • CRASH! :wacko:

It makes no difference if you save the file first or not. Sometimes the crash is slightly delayed (a few seconds) but it crashes every time for me. 

Same computer as last time:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

2.7 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB RAM

​OS X 10.10.2 (14C94b) (the latest currently available public beta)

Crash report can be found here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/klv6snvkrecqctd/2015-01-21%20Crash%20Report.txt?dl=0

Hope that helps :)

• Staff

Hi Gary,

Thanks for that - can I just ask where you're saving to? Desktop, iCloud, Documents - sub folder? Removable media? I can't reproduce it here using my Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013) with OS X 10.10.1 but that might be something to do with the save location, maybe?

Thanks for your help! :)

Matt

I did a quick screen capture video of the whole process (about a 5.7MB download):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25107119/2015-01-21%20Affinity%20Designer%20Crash.zip

I tried to use the menus as much as possible (I usually use shortcut keys) but I still got the same results.

Hopefully you'll be able to recreate it as, although avoidable, it can be annoying when you're exporting a file multiple times to have to check if the file exists and delete it first if it is.

• Staff

Okay, that's really useful to us, thanks Gary - I'll try to get the team to have a look at it and get back to you if we've got any more queries. It's very useful to know that you're not an admin user - I suspect this has a lot to do with it, maybe?

• Staff

Gary, we've just had a try with a restricted user and can't get this to go wrong... Can I ask you to try a couple of things:

- What happens if you export PSD instead?

- How about if you make a slice in the Export Persona and export it from the slices panel, then export it again from the slices panel - does that still crash?

- Finally, does running 'repair permissions' on your disk fix things by any chance? (Repair Disk Permissions is in the First Aid section in Disk Utility)

Thanks!

Matt

Okay, here's what I found:

- PSD export crashed, too. It doesn't seem to matter what type of file is being exported to.

- Exporting the "background" slice (the one created automatically) in the export persona (the little box on the right of the background slice in the slices tab) multiple times works without any crashing (see further testing below*)

- repairing permissions found a whole lot of discrepancies, but fixing them had no effect .

*further testing

As the export persona seemed to work, I tried the following:

- create a new file with a circle shape as before

- export via the export persona to "background.png"

- go to the draw persona and export

- click on the "background.png" and tell it to replace

- No crash! Yay! (this file can be exported over by both the Draw and Export personas multiple times without issue)

HOWEVER...

- then I added another shape to the file

- exported via the draw persona

- click on the "background.png" and tell it to replace

- Crash!

Differences between exported files

Looking at the file info for the png files exported by the Draw persona and the Export persona the following differences can be seen

- Export persona file is slightly smaller (13kB vs 14kB in my test)

- Draw persona file has the "hide extension" field checked while the export persona doesn't

- Draw persona file is using the "sRGB IEC61966-2.1"profile whereas the export persona doesn't (Maybe the colour profile is at fault?)

I hope that helps. Its midnight here now so I can't do anything more today, but if you have any other queries, let me know and I'll get you the results asap :)

I thought I'd try one more thing before bed:

I logged out and then logged in with my admin user and ran the beta which, being a different user, should run with the default settings, I assume. It was also the first time I've run the app with that user (the splash screen with example files etc. showed). I tried the same process as in my screen capture video and it seemed to work, for about 10 seconds... I then got a spinning beach ball followed by a crash a few seconds later.

So, I think that rules out me possibly having a whacky combination of preferences compared to your machines.

The only thing I can think about that might be a cause is that I'm running the Yosemite public beta whereas your machines are running Mavericks or 10.10.1? Maybe Apple have done something weird in this version? Apart from AD I haven't noticed any similar file problems in other apps though.

Are there any files (plists etc.) from the app package or logs that might be of help?

• Staff

Thank you so much for all of this Gary - I really do appreciate the effort you've put into this (and sorry about the time there, too - go to bed!)  We've actually got a Yosemite 10.10.2 machine here and have tried that with/without restricted user earlier and couldn't get that to go wrong either... It's very interesting what you've mentioned about the success through Export Persona - very weird indeed... I'll have a think...

• Staff

Hi Gary,

When you have time, can you try exporting again with 'Automatically Hide Extension' unchecked. This is in the preferences panel in the beta application. This is just to rule out whether it is a auto hide file extension issue, since it seems that the Export person doesn't honour the system's setting.

Thanks,

Andy

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.