Sign in to follow this  
Paige

Adding anchor points on curve

Sorry, MEB, I had the same question as Paige, but that answer isn't working for me.

When I select the node tool, it doesn't matter where on a curve I click or hover; the curve never becomes selectable in any way, and I'm unable to create a node.

When I *have* selected the curve first, the node tool becomes a transform tool; clicking a curve then just distorts it, but doesn't add a node.

I've tried various permutations of things with both the node and pen tools, but am entirely unable to add new nodes to a curve.

Designer v. 1.2. Am I missing something blindingly obvious?

Hi warrenao,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If your object is a shape or text (i.e. created with the shapes or with the text tools) you have first to converted it to curves as @joost suggested.

With the object selected go to the context toolbar (right above the work area) an press Convert to Curves button (it's available from the Move, Node and Text tools context toolbar).

Thanks for the replies, but hmm.

I drew the shape originally in the 'Draw' persona, using the pen tool, which leads me to believe it began life as curves. I have been able to edit the stroke thickness, which further leads me to conclude that it began life as a curve, not as bitmap art.

Hitting cmd+rtn doesn't show any visual difference.

Trying to add an anchor point afterward, using the node tool, still doesn't permit me to do anything but warp the selected curve segment. I can't add any anchor points.

Screenshot attached in case seeing the UI's behavior will in any way help. (Note that the node tool doesn't appear in this screenshot, argh, but it's there, along with a little wavy line alongside the cursor that seems to suggest 'warp', since that's what happens when I click the selected segment.)

post-11323-0-00748200-1431896562_thumb.png

Edited by warrenao

Hmm. That's what I've been doing. It appears that only after I've clicked the path several times am I able to somehow hit the right 'butter zone' to make the node appear. The rest of the time, I just end up distorting the curve, not adding nodes to it.

Is there any chance of making a ctrl-click or right-click option available that sort of 'forces' the node tool to actually create a node on the first try?

Are you using a Wacom or any other tablet (or even the Apple's Magic Mouse)? I think what's happening here is that you are inadvertently moving (dragging) the cursor while clicking on the path (even if sligthly), adjusting it instead of adding a node. Make sure the cursor doesn't move and click to create a node. Let me know if you still have trouble.