You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

WMF can't be exported it seems. When I select WMF for export, it actually writes the format that was previously selected into the .wmf file which is then of course invalid (not WMF). EMF export which generally produces a usable precision (opposed to WMF) is not offered at all. WMF/EMF is the only vector drawing format supported by Microsoft Word so this is of some importance to Microsoft Office users.

Interesting. It has been a long time since I have needed WMF/EMF formats.

The WMF that AD exports will import into every single application properly (a decent list of applications) with the single exception of MS Word. I am using Word 2010 here.

Mike

MS Word is a real disaster of an app. You should use it ONLY for text. Why don't you try some other MS Office compatabile software, like:

SoftMaker Office: http://www.softmaker.com/en/

Ability Office: http://www.ability.com/index.php?ln=en

They can read/write doc/docx documents (even as their default document) and they are much cheaper and you can even install them on more than 1 computer.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

I use Word also for letters, and letterheads can contain logos. I don't want these to be pixel images if they don't need to be. Also I need to work with others who need to use Word. It's simply kind of an industry standard in the office world. I'm sure that even if other programs are "compatible" with Word, you can't insert an SVG, PDF or EPS graphic in there and export it as .docx file…

It's a shame Microsoft rely on this archaic file format (rather than SVG). As Adam says, it's only currently supported on the Windows version, we can look at adding it to the Mac version in the future. Do these imported graphics actually need to be vector images within Word? Unless you're printing the same document out at various sizes, it probably doesn't need to be.

You can do all that with the software I recomended to you and, trust me, no one can notice that you are not using MS Office.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

Using vector graphics reduces the file size of exported PDF documents considerably (if the vector graphic is already smaller than a rendered image) which is good for sending via e-mail.

I may take a look at those other programs. SoftMaker Office makes a better first impression, but still doesn't look as cool as MS Office 2016. Actually their office is just 10 minutes from my home!

SoftMaker Office makes a better first impression, but still doesn't look as cool as MS Office 2016.

Do you buy software because of an image, or to work with it? :)

Using vector graphics reduces the file size of exported PDF documents considerably (if the vector graphic is already smaller than a rendered image) which is good for sending via e-mail.

If you're generating PDFs then Designer is arguably a better thing to use anyway ;).

If you're generating PDFs then Designer is arguably a better thing to use anyway ;).

(Irony detection result: uncertain. Replying anyway…)

Probably not for multi-page letters like invoices or normal texts. I've heard Serif has a publishing application as well, which might even be a bit oversized for regular office tasks.

I've heard Serif has a publishing application as well, which might even be a bit oversized for regular office tasks.

PagePlus has always been Serif's flagship application, but that is no longer being developed now that Serif is concentrating on the Affinity suite. Affinity Publisher is expected to become available for beta testing later this year.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Do you buy software because of an image, or to work with it? :)

Interface design is important to be able to work efficiently with an application. LibreOffice, which can also be used, has large and clear icons. 

post-28512-0-48048700-1467540360_thumb.png

All this discussion is off-topic (nothing new there), as Serif need to provide WMF support for Word. Many users won't have a choice to use anything else, so if they're going to use their Affinity Designer logos or other vector drawings in Word, they will need to export to WMF. 

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.