You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Variable Font Support

51 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

With the other guys, I had to drag a slider, let go and see the change, drag it some more, let go, etc.

The beauty of the Affinity apps perhaps... :) 

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

37 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Anyway, after installing the Shantell Sans-Variable Font to test it with the beta, I was curious to see how the retail apps handled it. I was surprised that unlike the typical multiple instances of "Regular" or whatever that users have been reporting when they have installed variable fonts, I got a list of its (preset?) styles & each of them works as expected:

It's a Windows vs Mac difference. Mac users get to see all the correct names, but the fonts won't work properly.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

It's a Windows vs Mac difference. Mac users get to see all the correct names, but the fonts won't work properly.

I'm not sure what you mean by properly, but I can use any of the named variable font styles in 2.4.2, either from the Font Family or Font Style dropdown on the Context toolbar  & get those named styles to set the style of the selected text to the named one.

Of course, there are no variable options if that is what you mean.

On Windows does selecting one of the misnamed styles work to set or change the style blindly or not work at all?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

Just create a blank document, create a frame, choose a font such as Roboto Flex - Font Manager will say OK. Drag any slider - Font Manager will say it's missing. EDIT: but Preflight won't report it as missing.

May be Mac-only, Mike. I don't see that on Windows.

I'm trying to test it on my Mac, but I can't get Roboto Flex installed for some reason. (It's the first time I've tried installing a font. I've Validated the file, but it won't Install from the Validation dialog. It seems to install if I double-click on it, but it doesn't show up in Font Book. Yet if I try to add it to my user, it says it's already installed. :(

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I'm not sure what you mean by properly, but I can use any of the named variable font styles in 2.4.2, either from the Font Family or Font Style dropdown on the Context toolbar  & get those named styles to set the style of the selected text to the named one.

Try exporting a PDF.

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Try exporting a PDF.

Thanks, but my only concern was using the style in the Affinity apps, as I have no reason to export it to PDF.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, walt.farrell said:

I'm trying to test it on my Mac, but I can't get Roboto Flex installed for some reason. (It's the first time I've tried installing a font. I've Validated the file, but it won't Install from the Validation dialog. It seems to install if I double-click on it, but it doesn't show up in Font Book. Yet if I try to add it to my user, it says it's already installed. :(

It should just work. If you already have it installed it should ask if you want to replace it. If you have the static version installed, it should be smart enough to ask if you want to replace it which is nice.

If you open FontBook and choose Settings, is the default installation location set to Current User? Is the font you tried to install in Users/accountname/Library/Fonts?

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Thanks, but my only concern was using the style in the Affinity apps, as I have no reason to export it to PDF.

Then maybe it will work OK for you. All you can do is try.

(But yes, this conversation is off-topic here :) )

-- Walt
PC:

20 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Hmmm. I downloaded the Roboto Flex file from Google Fonts & double-clicked on it. That opened a small Font Book window with an "Install Font" button. I clicked that & the font was installed without complaint & immediately showed up in Font Book. I selected it & used File > Validate Font & it reported no errors. I just checked in the AD 2.5 beta & it is available & works as expected.

EDIT: I doubt it makes any difference but like @MikeTO mentioned, my default installation location in Font Book is set to "User," not "Computer."

Affinity Photo 

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Then maybe it will work OK for you. All you can do is try.

(But yes, this conversation is off-topic here :) )

FWIW, I just tried it with AD 2.4.2 & the Roboto Flex font & the PDF exported without any apparent issues.

Affinity Photo 

On 4/12/2024 at 8:53 AM, Ash said:

Variable fonts

Apps: Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo, Affinity Publisher
Platforms: All

To try out variable fonts in Affinity, apply one to some text and then:
- On iPad, tap the arrow to the right of Bold/Italic/Underline/Strikethrough on the Text Panel and then tap Variations.

I thought I'd play around with the new Variable Font support using Publisher 2.5.0.2415 on my iPad.

I downloaded Roboto Flex from Google Fonts, asked iFont to install it, and got this:

image.thumb.png.15f287c1a9576e308fdf25b82fb81f52.png

Are there any hints for how to install Variable fonts some other way that is supported?

-- Walt
PC:

31 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Are there any hints for how to install Variable fonts some other way that is supported?

Did you try Settings > Fonts in one of the iPad Affinity apps?

EDIT: Annoyingly, I cannot figure out how to install any of the iPad 2.5 betas on my iPad. It keeps asking for a Redeem code which I do not have & have forgotten where to request one. 

Affinity Photo 

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don’t think there is another way at the moment. I got the same message from iFont when I tried to install Inter earlier this evening.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I don’t think there is another way at the moment. I got the same message from iFont when I tried to install Inter earlier this evening.

I’ve just tried again with AnyFont. It responded with the following message:

Profile Installation Failed
The font payload must contain exactly
one font in TrueType or OpenType
format. Collection formats are not
supported.

Alfred spacer.png

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Did you try Settings > Fonts in one of the iPad Affinity apps?

Thanks. That does work.

-- Walt
PC:

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. That does work.

It works to get the typeface installed, but all I see here is a choice of individual weights/styles. There’s no UI for the VF axes.

IMG_1087.jpeg.3fb5130dc5d18d79cac11c6a5e211afc.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

This feature is pretty cool! Will there be any new fonts packaged in that utilizes it? Only a couple of fonts actually use it after I I was trying it out.

Try here: https://fonts.google.com/variablefonts

Alfred spacer.png

6 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Thanks! Are they all free to use for anything? 

You’re welcome! And yes, they’re all free.

https://developers.google.com/fonts/faq

Is there a cost for any of these fonts?

No, all Google Fonts are open source and are without cost.

Alfred spacer.png

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3447, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22688.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

25 minutes ago, Alfred said:

There’s no UI for the VF axes.

I wasn’t looking in the right place! You need to go to ‘Text Studio > Character > Variations’.

Alfred spacer.png

I'm no expert on iPad font installers but I installed Roboto Flex with Fontster. I tested it with Photoshop to confirm it was installed properly.

But I couldn't get it to work with the Publisher 2.5 beta on iPad, selecting Roboto Flex showed a ? before the family name, there was nothing in the font style menu, and there was no Variations button. Maybe I'm missing something.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I wasn’t looking in the right place! You need to go to ‘Text Studio > Character > Variations’.

FWIW, this is where it is shown in the first post by @Ash  after the "Variation settings on iPad." text.

Affinity Photo 

8 hours ago, Hangman said:

To be honest I think Font Variations would be more useful as a studio panel in the same vein as the Typography panel...

I think they should be *in* the Typography panel (in a new section that can optionally collapse just like the existing ones).