You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 2.4.0.2301 RC blocks selection on page MacOS

I have already encountered this problem twice. When working on a newspaper, sometimes it's impossible to select any object on the page. I can select it in the layers panel, and then it is highlighted on the page. But if I then want to select, for example, a text frame, it won't be selected. Nothing happens. It looks like the program is frozen, but it works because I can select objects in the layers panel. After a while, normal behavior resumes, and I can select items again.
I was working with a table and text. I needed to delete text from a certain cell.

7 minutes ago, anto said:

I have already encountered this problem twice. When working on a newspaper, sometimes it's impossible to select any object on the page. I can select it in the layers panel, and then it is highlighted on the page. But if I then want to select, for example, a text frame, it won't be selected. Nothing happens. It looks like the program is frozen, but it works because I can select objects in the layers panel. After a while, normal behavior resumes, and I can select items again.
I was working with a table and text. I needed to delete text from a certain cell.

I'm not currently seeing any issues here, maybe a screen recording would be helpful...

4 minutes ago, Brian_J said:

This has been happening to me, too, lately.

Since the RC2 release today or prior to that as well...

Are you both seeing the issue on Windows or Mac as well?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

3 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Since the RC2 release today or prior to that as well...

Are you both seeing the issue on Windows or Mac as well?

I have experienced the issue prior to today. I have Publisher 2.3.1 installed. I’m not sure if the issue started occurring in 2.3.1 or prior.

I'm on Windows 10 22H2.

Windows 10 22H2, 32GB RAM | Affinity Designer, Photo, Publisher 2 (MSI/EXE)

5 minutes ago, Brian_J said:

have experienced the issue prior to today. I have Publisher 2.3.1 installed. I’m not sure if the issue started occurring in 2.3.1 or prior.

I'm on Windows 10 22H2

Possibly a Windows only issue? It almost sounds a little like a reoccurrence of this issue…

Is it possible to make a screen recording so we can get a better idea of what is going on?

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

I have experienced exactly that a few times in Designer 2.x retail. Don't recall seeing a pattern, but it absolutely sounds familiar.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

@Chris B I was in a rush when I replied and didn't add a link to the previous thread on this topic. Here's that thread now and there's a video in it. Not a screen recording since starting one clears the issue. I believe this issue and the non-blinking cursor issue started at the same time during the 2.2 beta.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• Staff

When the application gets in this state can you keep an eye open on the status bar and check to see if 'Mouse over an object to get measurements. Click an object to select it' remains visible' when you have no keys pressed down?

If this is the case then I believe it happens occasionally after you release the Cmd key. Toggling the Cmd key should get the app back to a working state.

Here is an older video demonstrating it - I have been able to reproduce it in 2.4.0, but it took many attempts to get it to happen.

I tried several options. The problems start when there are layers and Layers in the Layers panel. And the Edit All Layers button is turned off. Then it's complete chaos. The program chooses one Layer it wants and works with it (if you have several Layers, all another are inactive). After selecting an object in the Layers panel, it starts working for a while. And after a certain operation, it freezes again.

• Staff
1 hour ago, anto said:

I tried several options. The problems start when there are layers and Layers in the Layers panel. And the Edit All Layers button is turned off. Then it's complete chaos. The program chooses one Layer it wants and works with it (if you have several Layers, all another are inactive). After selecting an object in the Layers panel, it starts working for a while. And after a certain operation, it freezes again.

Please try to include a video of the entire screen as we like to be able to see the whole picture (for example I cannot see what your Move Tool Auto Select settings are), however by what you've described and from what I can tell from the Layers Panel it sounds to me like this behaviour is as Designed.

You have disabled 'Edit All Layers' - this means your selections will be restricted to objects on the same Layer as the current selection, so if you have a object inside that layer selected, you will only ever be able to select other children inside that Layer, which is likely making it appear as though the selection has broken.

34 minutes ago, Sean P said:

You have disabled 'Edit All Layers' - this means your selections will be restricted to objects on the same Layer as the current selection, so if you have a object inside that layer selected, you will only ever be able to select other children inside that Layer, which is likely making it appear as though the selection has broken.

It's wrong to have mixed content on a page. If all Layers are turned off and I select individual elements outside a Layer, they are selected. Which Layer do they belong to?

1 minute ago, anto said:

It's wrong to have mixed content on a page. If all Layers are turned off and I select individual elements outside a Layer, they are selected. Which Layer do they belong to?

Objects outside a Layer (Capital L) don't belong to any Layers (Captial L) so if 'Edit All Layers' is disabled then objects outside any Layers will be selectable, assuming Auto-Select is set to Default or Objects...

This is not correct.

If you have the following structure,

ROOT (invisible Layer)

-rectangle1

- circle

-Layer

--subLayer1 curve

--subLayer2 rectangle2

what's the difference between the layer Layer and the rectangle1 layer. They are at the same level in an imaginary invisible layer Root.

• Staff

Unlike a Group a Layer object is never selectable on the page, instead it will always select the contents inside it, so the Layer will not be clickable from your design. And  because Edit All Layers is off it will mean you can't select anything outside of that layer.

Another problem. If i have on page layers and Layer with subLayers  i cannot copy and paste the same structure in another document. When i copy/paste in new document all L(l)ayers i get all layers and no one Layer. Why?

• Staff
Just now, anto said:

Another problem. If i have on page layers and Layer with subLayers  i cannot copy and paste the same structure in another document. When i copy/paste in new document all L(l)ayers i get all layers and no one Layer. Why?

Please create a separate thread for this in the bugs forum and attach a video demonstrating the issue please.

Here is the video for the first problem. As you can see, no layer is selected at first. I can easily move around the page objects. But when I get to the Layer, everything is blocked and I can't go back. Why?
What's the difference between a rectangle or text frame and a Layer? They are on the same level.

30 minutes ago, anto said:

Here is the video for the first problem. As you can see, no layer is selected at first. I can easily move around the page objects. But when I get to the Layer, everything is blocked and I can't go back. Why?

Because you have 'Enable All Layers' disabled which means that you can only make selections from within the selected Layer (Capital L)...

If you want to be able to select all items on the page regardless of whether they are contained within a Layer (Capital L) or not then just turn 'Enable All Layers' back on. The behaviour you're seeing is by design and allows the user to structure and isolate sections of their work so they can deliberately avoid selecting layers they don't want to select when working on complex projects where you may have many layers overlapping other layers...

The second purpose of Layers (Captial L) is that they can be exported to PDF allowing the individual Layers to be switched on and off in the PDF Reader which is helpful when you have e.g., a map with many layers that you may wish to show or hide, roads, train lines, rivers, location names, topography and so on.