You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher 2.4.0.2301 RC blocks selection on page MacOS

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

Because you have 'Enable All Layers' disabled which means that you can only make selections from within the selected Layer (Capital L)...

If you want to be able to select all items on the page regardless of whether they are contained within a Layer (Capital L) or not then just turn 'Enable All Layers' back on. The behaviour you're seeing is by design and allows the user to structure and isolate sections of their work so they can deliberately avoid selecting layers they don't want to select when working on complex projects where you may have many layers overlapping other layers...

The second purpose of Layers (Captial L) is that they can be exported to PDF allowing the individual Layers to be switched on and off in the PDF Reader which is helpful when you have e.g., a map with many layers that you may wish to show or hide, roads, train lines, rivers, location names, topography and so on.

You didn't watch the video carefully. Why can I initially select all the elements (layers) that are on the layers? Logically, I wouldn't be able to select any of the layers. Especially if Edit All Layers is turned off.

Because you have 'Enable All Layers' disabled which means that you can only make selections from within the selected Layer (Capital L)...

In this case, I wouldn't be able to select any layer (element) that doesn't belong to the Layer.  But this is not the case. It is wrong.

The behaviour you're seeing is by design and allows the user to structure and isolate sections of their work so they can deliberately avoid selecting layers they don't want to select when working on complex projects where you may have many layers overlapping other layers...

This is incorrect behavior, because all elements and groups of different layers are selected until you accidentally select an element that belongs to a Layer.

3 hours ago, anto said:

You didn't watch the video carefully. Why can I initially select all the elements (layers) that are on the layers? Logically, I wouldn't be able to select any of the layers. Especially if Edit All Layers is turned off.

I watched the video very carefully to ascertain the sequence in which you are selecting objects...

5 secs - Donkey Selected | Not inside a Layer (Capital L)
8 secs - Rooster Selected | Not inside a Layer (Capital L)
9 secs - Lamb Selected | Not inside a Layer (Capital L)
11 secs - Honey Pot Selected | Not inside a Layer (Capital L) but inside a Group
14 secs - Frame Text Selected | Not inside a Layer (Capital L)
16 secs - Frame Text Selected | Inside Layer1 (Capital L)

From this point forward because 'Enable All Layers' is disabled you will only be able to select objects on page inside the same Layer (Capital L), Layer1, i.e., the two Curve Layers, the Picture Frame and the Frame Text layers (Small L).

This is why you are unable to select the Rooster, Donkey, Lamb, Honey Pot, Tree and Musical Note on page at this point...

Layer1.png.4600ebd2049b0526d0017d085d42fcab.png

32 secs - Donkey selected in the Layers Panel followed by the Rooster, Lamb and Honeypot | All, Not inside a Layer (Capital L)
38 secs - Music Note Selected | Inside Layer (Capital L) with the FX applied

From this point forward again because 'Enable All Layers' is disabled you will only be able to select objects on page inside the same Layer (Capital L), Layer, i.e., the Curve Layers that make up the musical note...

LayerFX.png.feef10fcd00bf6bf51a8011277de822c.png

44 secs - Rooster selected in the Layers Panel (not on page) followed by the Donkey and Lamb | All Not inside a Layer (Capital L) so you can select any object again up until the point you next select an object on page contained inside a Layer (Capital L).

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

36 minutes ago, anto said:

In this case, I wouldn't be able to select any layer (element) that doesn't belong to the Layer.  But this is not the case. It is wrong.

You can if you select the object in the Layers Panel which you do when selecting the Rooster at 32 secs and the Donkey at 44 secs...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

8 hours ago, anto said:

This is incorrect behavior, because all elements and groups of different layers are selected until you accidentally select an element that belongs to a Layer.

As mentioned previously, this is very much by design for the reasons mentioned...

Why don't you simply Enable All Layers in the Layers Panel which would avoid the issues you are having?