You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, everybody,

I'm new to graphic design. I've been using Affinity Designer V1 for a couple of years now only for a special project, and have more or less figured out enough of AD on my MacBook to be able to do what I am trying to do with my project. I use the vector persona exclusively. 

So today when I went to open the app I found that every single file I've created is blank. I can see in the Layers panel that all my content is still there but nothing is showing up on the canvas, aside from those thin blue outlines showing the selected vector curve. I seem to remember that yesterday when I was using the program my laptop battery may have run down before I could close the program properly, and I'm wondering if now the app software is corrupted. If so I guess I would have to reinstall V1 or upgrade to V2, but I thought I would check here first in case it's merely a matter of some setting. 

I've tried opening AD files that were not open when the computer powered down, they are the same (blank canvas). I tried opening AD files I had previously saved onto a thumb drive, and they also have nothing but invisible content in them. I tried restarting AD, no change. I tried restarting my computer, no change. I've looked at the Dark/Light mode and that seems to have nothing to do with it. I've looked closely at the Swatches and Stroke panels and verified that the Stroke width is greater than zero, and has color applied. I can make changes to the Stroke and see the changes show up in the thumbnails of the Layers panel but not on the canvas. 

Of course then there are the Art Boards which seem to be missing. I've tried adding an Art Board to the canvas and just like the vectors, I can see the outline and it shows up in the Layers panel but I cannot make them visible. I've tried creating a new file and it does the same. 

Any suggestions?

Edited by Symbiog
add clarity

Look at View > View Mode, and see if perhaps you're in Outline mode.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Look at View > View Mode, and see if perhaps you're in Outline mode.

Wouldn't being in Outline mode still show the outline of vector objects? Also, on my Mac AD V1 always reverts to switching off that mode for other documents I create or open -- IOW, it is not a "sticky" setting.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Wouldn't being in Outline mode still show the outline of vector objects?

My interpretation of the first post is that the object outlines are visible, and nothing else. 

If Outline mode is not the problem, it would help to have a sample .afdesign file or a screenshot.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

My interpretation of the first post is that the object outlines are visible, and nothing else. 

I am not sure what it meant. Do you think the "thin blue lines" comment refers to vector outlines? On my Mac, in V1 the vector outlines in outline mode are black, not blue, but maybe there is a way to change that?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Here's what I'm seeing. I checked and I'm in Vector mode. The lines that show are for whatever layers I have selected.

Normally there would be a bright white background and you'd see all the images with stroke and fill as created. 

Screen Shot 2024-02-25 at 5.48.22 PM.png

Edited by Symbiog
change files

9 minutes ago, Symbiog said:

Here are a couple of images...

No images appear to be attached to your post.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

No images appear to be attached to your post.

Edited 10 minutes ago by Symbiog
change files

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Here's another example. Normally there's a rectangular white artboard in the background and black line drawings with pressure gradients applied. I've added another artboard and given it color which you can see in the Layers panel but not the canvas. 

Screen Shot 2024-02-25 at 6.15.32 PM.png

This other topic might be of interest: 

-- Walt
PC:

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

I am not sure what it meant. Do you think the "thin blue lines" comment refers to vector outlines? On my Mac, in V1 the vector outlines in outline mode are black, not blue, but maybe there is a way to change that?

Thanks R C-R, not sure why we would have different colors in outline mode, but, I’ve checked the several mode options and you’ve helped me define the problem more clearly: my files are stuck in Outline mode, even when I have Vector mode selected. 

Edited by Symbiog
Tweaking

It looks like you might be in wireframe mode

Try clicking the icon below

gravy.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks carl123, I’ve been switching between modes both in the drop down menu and also using the icons and it seems to be stuck. The checkmark moves in the menu boxes or the icon highlights, but the rendering doesn’t ever change. 

51 minutes ago, carl123 said:

It looks like you might be in wireframe mode

It's called Outline mode in Macs; not sure what it might be called in Windows.

Affinity Photo 

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

It's called Outline mode in Macs; not sure what it might be called in Windows.

It’s called Outline mode on Windows, too (the other two modes being Pixel mode and Retina Pixel mode) but when all three buttons are in the deselected state — as they are in the OP’s screenshot — the current mode is Vector mode.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

34 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It’s called Outline mode on Windows, too

Not what I see...

wireframemode.jpg.7f51aa10f8ca4d1f7998b74fbf904c71.jpg

Oops, opened Designer V1 and discovered it's called Outline Mode...

outlinemode.jpg.13b0e051e100e2cf2ff4a2f0e995e7f2.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

Thanks @Symbiog,
No issues displaying objects here on any version (V1, V2, V2 Beta).
Try the following, quit the app. Press and hold ctrl while starting the app again until a Clear User Data dialog appears. Leave just the first three checkboxes ticked (ticking others may clean/delete custom assets, brushes etc that you may have added to the app) and press Clear. Try opening the file again. Does it fix the issues?

3 minutes ago, MEB said:

Thanks @Symbiog,
No issues displaying objects here or any version (V1, V2, V2 Beta).
Try the following, quit the app. Press and hold ctrl while starting the app until a Clear User Data dialog appear. Leave just the first three checkboxes ticked (ticking other may clean custom assets, brushes etc that you may have added to the app) and press Clear. Try opening the file again. Does it fix the issues?

Still doing it.