You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

ADAMSKI Effect in Affinity Photo V2

The ADAMSKI effect can be produced in PHOTOSHOP as shown
in the attached photo (and related YouTube videos).
Is it possible to add this feature to AP?
Thank You,

(in case that this topic should be presented in other forum group,
please move it to the correct place and let me know)

ADAMSKI Effect.png

@I. Lavi

Yes, it is possible to create this effect with Affinity Photo.

As with Adopay Photoscrap, there is also motion blur in Affinity Photo.

image.png.0b2df2b268a531874f21c4693001ba4f.png

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

4 hours ago, Komatös said:

Adopay Photoscrap

Yawn! 🥱

https://www.amazon.de/Fuchs-die-Trauben-Fabeln-aller/dp/335902320X

image.png.743df83a81951313dc1e6fff1985d324.png

(The Fox and the Grapes)

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

4 hours ago, Bit Arts said:

Yawn! 🥱

In German they say: "A picture is worth a thousand words". But somehow the picture doesn't speak to me.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

10 hours ago, Komatös said:

@I. Lavi

Yes, it is possible to create this effect with Affinity Photo.

As with Adopay Photoscrap, there is also motion blur in Affinity Photo.

image.png.0b2df2b268a531874f21c4693001ba4f.png

Thank you but this is NOT about simple motion blur. 
“The Adamski effect involves duplicating your photo (in Photoshop or similar editing program), and then on the top layer selecting just your main subject so that it remains in sharper focus, then on the lower background layer using some type of motion or path blur to create a beautiful blurry, dreamy background”.

13 minutes ago, I. Lavi said:

Thank you but this is NOT about simple motion blur. 
“The Adamski effect involves duplicating your photo (in Photoshop or similar editing program), and then on the top layer selecting just your main subject so that it remains in sharper focus, then on the lower background layer using some type of motion or path blur to create a beautiful blurry, dreamy background”.

I haven't watched the video, but I'm sure this effect can be recreated in Affinity Photo too.

As far as I can tell, the ‘Adamski Effect” is simply:

1. Select subject;
  2. Cut subject from background;
  3. Paste subject into new layer;
  4. Temporarily hide subject;
  5. Replace background in the gap;
  6. Add Motion Blur to background;
  7. Make subject visible again.

See attached video (quickly done).

If I’ve missed something important then please tell me.

Thank you GarryP,

I suggest to watch one (of several) YouTube videos on this subject,
like the link below, and then try to imitate using Affinity Photo in order
to achieve the same result.
I was thinking (hoping) there is a step by step procedure for Affinity Photo too...

That video shows, from what I have skipped through, pretty much the steps I outlined above, except for some Photoshop-specific things which I have given alternatives for.

If there’s something specific that you would like to know about please give me a time-frame in the video which tells me where to look so I don’t have to watch the whole thing through.

(In the video I don’t see the image of the beach you gave so I’m still not sure that it has two different blurs in it.)

2 hours ago, I. Lavi said:

and then try to imitate using Affinity Photo in order
to achieve the same result.

It would be more efficient, I think, for you to tell us a specific part of the process that you're having trouble duplicating in Photo (and, as Garry mentioned, the time-code in the video).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you gentlemen for your response.

I will try to follow the steps suggested by GarryP and come back if I will encounter
any difficulties.

Regardless, I suggest you to take a look at Josh Adamski's INSTAGRAM page
in the following link. To my opinion his work is pretty impressive.
(therefore I was thinking that if Photoshop can do it, why not Affinity Photo?)

https://www.instagram.com/josh_adamski/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet&igshid=OGQ5ZDc2ODk2ZA==

Thanks Again,

There is more to his work than algorithms, also add a great creative mind, skills and a mix of methods. Combining methods and figuring out which and when is the hardest part but also where one learns a lot. I don't think Hayley covered this part - her work was just a mechanical proof of concept, not the work of an artist.

The effect could be created in many programs, content-aware fill/inpaitning will make the least part of it a bit easier.

Experienced Quality Assurance Manager - I strive for excellence in complex professional illustrations through efficient workflows in modern applications, supporting me in achieving my and my colleagues' goals through the most achievable usability and contemporary, easy-to-use user interfaces.

23 minutes ago, I. Lavi said:

if Affinity Photo could give us the same "mechanical proof of concept"

it would be good enough for a simple photographer like myself.

As far as I understand what that quoted phrase means, it does, as has been shown, unless you have something specific that you want to do which hasn’t already been covered.

I’ve tried a few experiments and, apart from my own clumsy masking, it seems to work quite well with different effects without too much work, and I’m neither a photographer nor an artist – see video.

31 minutes ago, I. Lavi said:

Agree with every word, nevertheless if Affinity Photo could give us the same "mechanical proof of concept"

Thank You,    

I don't understand your issue here. The PS video does -exactly- the same thing as in AP.
You would already have figured it out in AP, instead of posting  comment after comment.. The examples given should give you enough to start yourself..

AP isn't PS.
Differences can cause confusion and changes in workflow. ;)

Windows 11 - 23H2 ⊕ ASUS PRIME X670E-Pro ⊕ AMD Ryzen 9-7900X ⊕ Arctic Liquid Cooler II ⊕ 64GB RAM ⊕ OS SSD Samsung 980Pro 2Tb ⊕ Cache SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1Tb ⊕ Video HD WD Blue 4Tb ⊕ Geforce RTX 3060 12Gb ⊕ BenQ SW270C ⊕ Dell U2412M ⊕ Affinity Photo 2.3.x ⊕ Affinity Designer 2.3.x ⊕ Affinity Publisher 2.3.x

55 minutes ago, I. Lavi said:

Agree with every word, nevertheless if Affinity Photo could give us the same "mechanical proof of concept"

Thank You,    

It can - and you could use many other effects to add your own style once the main subject is isolated and separated. It is a bit hard, though, to reverse engineer how exactly Adamski created his effects from his Instagram alone. It can be a combination of effects, blend modes and layer masks - you often need a few tips from the artists themselves and for good reasons they often won't share. It's their Coca-Cola recipe. 🙂

That is why the mechanical proof of concept is just a starting point as well as a POC.

BTW algorithms in Photo are not 100% identical to those in Photoshop but in this case it should not matter much.

10 minutes ago, Bit Arts said:

It can be a combination of effects, blend modes and layer masks - you often need a few tips from the artists themselves and for good reasons they often won't share. It's their Coca-Cola recipe. 🙂

This....
A lot of times these videos will show you a basic way of copying a certain look, but the original artist may have come to that look a completely different way.
There could be several plugins involved for all kinds of tiny details for all we know, in combination with additional manual tweaking like smearing, blurring etc.

Isn't it the journey to take a video as a basis and see if you can make it even more interesting?
The fun of using PS or AP is that it isn't cookie cutter filters from e.g. Instagram. ;)

Windows 11 - 23H2 ⊕ ASUS PRIME X670E-Pro ⊕ AMD Ryzen 9-7900X ⊕ Arctic Liquid Cooler II ⊕ 64GB RAM ⊕ OS SSD Samsung 980Pro 2Tb ⊕ Cache SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1Tb ⊕ Video HD WD Blue 4Tb ⊕ Geforce RTX 3060 12Gb ⊕ BenQ SW270C ⊕ Dell U2412M ⊕ Affinity Photo 2.3.x ⊕ Affinity Designer 2.3.x ⊕ Affinity Publisher 2.3.x

2 hours ago, I. Lavi said:

(therefore I was thinking that if Photoshop can do it, why not Affinity Photo?)

https://www.instagram.com/josh_adamski/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet&igshid=OGQ5ZDc2ODk2ZA==

These are heavily processed images. One of the effects looks like motion blur. But I assume there are more things involved to the blur(s). Like partially masked Gaussian blur and perhaps things like chromatic aberration filter used in a 'creative' way. I also assume there are vignets or layers to emphasize contrast in certain areas. There is saturation and vibrance (or the like) applied. And at some point he may be using sharpness to achieve a certain crisp look.

These are just guesses to give you a couple of keywords with what to play around and see how far you come.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 1 month later...

I'm fiddling with the effect atm . I feel PS is shown to be better as it has better (??) content aware as I have seen online . Also ; from a distant memory I think PS has a better motion blur  ; more one directional
Does not mean there is no work around for AP
I know of a good video where clouds were blurred behind trees --- I will keep looking for it
Basically: have two layers > inpaint/clone tools used to cover the trees with the cloud >sky is masked out in the tree layer >add motion blur to clouds >it's sort of done . Perhaps you will remember the video that I haven't open for quite some time --- thought in was book marked/saved (??)

Todays edit --- as I said , very early days : two layers >select subject (leaf) add mask save selection >invert selection >add mask >blur back ground
There will be halo around subject >flatten layers or merge visible ;) >add saved selection to protect subject >use clone tool to cover the halo

I have been doing similar as the adamsky effect for years : >two layers >motion blur all bottom layer >select top layer subject > add mask >it's sort of done
Am open to improvements/better ways/links?questions --- sorry I cannot make a video

Apex Park-24 0108_003-1_ w.jpg

Apex Park-24 0108_045 blur 04_ w.jpg

Urban MLD-24 0111_012 -02_ w.jpg