You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot click and select with Move Tool

This is an intermittent problem - cannot select an area with text frames, images etc. when mouse clicked and area selected - nothing happens.  This corrects itself when the file is closed and re-opened.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Macbook Pro 13"

Ventura 13.4.1 (c)

Affinity Publisher Beta 2.2.0 (1903)

• Staff

Hi @Dennison
Would you be able to provide a screen recording of this issue in action? 

I am currently Out of Office, please tag @Affinity Info Bot in your replies for another member of QA to see. 

How to format a bug report | List of V2 FAQ's | Affinity Photo (V2) Tutorials | Affinity Designer (V2) Tutorials | Affinity Publisher (V2) Tutorials

Hi @Dennison,

Is the text you're trying to select sitting on a master page or a main page?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hi @Dennison,

Are you happy to upload the pages/s shown in your screengrab so we can take a quick look, otherwise we're likely guessing as to possible causes...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2430) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2430)

Hi everyone,

Same here, as described by @Dennison.
With a difference, this corrects not itself when the file is closed and re-opened.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3527)

4 minutes ago, Dennison said:

I can upload a shortened file.  It seems to now happen with every file I open in AfPub, which suggests it's not in the file itself. 

That would be really helpful then at least we can see what might be causing the issue...

Had no problem selecting items on your pages in beta2.2 on windows.
Make sure you are selecting the pages first in the pagespanel.
You cannot simply drag around items on zoomed out view and select items on page 10/11 while the actual selected pages are 4/5 in the pages panel.
I think this could be considered a bug though for it not switching.

On initial testing, I'm likewise having no issues selecting text and/or images on any of the pages in the file you uploaded though I'll continue to test further to see if I can replicate the issue...

1 hour ago, Return said:

You cannot simply drag around items on zoomed out view and select items on page 10/11 while the actual selected pages are 4/5 in the pages panel.

This shouldn't be a problem to do at all...

40 minutes ago, Hangman said:

This shouldn't be a problem to do at all...

Not at my regular desktop but to me it shows the correct pages in the statusbar but the drag select doesn't select any layers in the layers panel in the same go.

16 minutes ago, Return said:

to me it shows the correct pages in the statusbar but the drag select doesn't select any layers in the layers panel in the same go.

I'm not sure I follow... I've re-recorded the screen recording to hopefully make it more obvious. Initially, pages 4 and 5 are selected in the Pages panel, the screen recording now shows the selection in the Layers panel. Zoom out and scroll down to Pages 14 and 15, marquee select the items on this spread and you can see the items are selected on both pages and in the Layers panel and Pages 14 and 15 are now the selected pages in the Pages panel.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are referencing here though so let me know if you're referring to something else... 🙂

On 7/26/2023 at 1:52 PM, Dennison said:

This is an intermittent problem - cannot select an area with text frames, images etc. when mouse clicked and area selected - nothing happens.  This corrects itself when the file is closed and re-opened.

Hi @Dennison,

When you see this happening, does it make any difference if you zoom in or out of the page in question, as in, when you can't select text or images with a mouse click or via a mouse drag marquee selection if you, Option Scroll or Cmd +/- to zoom the view in or out, are you still unable to make a selection using the mouse?

Also, when this happens are you still able to make selections in the Layers panel without any issues?

Thanks for the investigations.

I'll check next time it happens and report back.

Currently having an issue with a new Text Frame creating a two Frames in a single group - yet nothing like that is selected.  I'll post elsewhere.  It's not grouped.

AfPub double text frame.jpg

1 hour ago, Dennison said:

Thanks for the investigations.

I'll check next time it happens and report back.

Currently having an issue with a new Text Frame creating a two Frames in a single group - yet nothing like that is selected.  I'll post elsewhere.  It's not grouped.

AfPub double text frame.jpg

I see this was resolved in a different thread- you had two columns selected.

1 hour ago, Dennison said:

Do you have a two-column text frame selected in the context toolbar?

image.png.6ae0e777f2328ee9a1a270b517302bff.png

This problem seems to apply only to Macs. I reported it to support via email. Hopefully they will fix it.
The essence of the problem is as follows. Take the side slider and go to any page. Try to select an element. You won't be able to do it until you scroll with the mouse wheel. Then you will be able to select it.
Here's a video that demonstrates this. This works for all files on Mac. On Windows, it seems to work fine.

2 minutes ago, anto said:

This problem seems to apply only to Macs. I reported it to support via email. Hopefully they will fix it.
The essence of the problem is as follows. Take the side slider and go to any page. Try to select an element. You won't be able to do it until you scroll with the mouse wheel. Then you will be able to select it.
Here's a video that demonstrates this. This works for all files on the Mac. On Windows, it seems to work fine.

2023-07-31 о 09.56.56.mov 19.5 MB · 0 downloads

Great. Thank you.

It's simply a screen redraw issue, the layers are actually being selected in the Layers panel only not being shown as selected. If you zoom in or out slightly even a tiny fraction or even just mouse scroll on the canvas a fraction of a mm then the selection is shown...

7 minutes ago, Hangman said:

If you zoom in or out slightly even a tiny fraction or even just mouse scroll on the canvas a fraction of a mm then the selection is shown...

This is a problem. That's what I'm talking about.

Just now, anto said:

This is a problem. That's what I'm talking about.

I'm agreeing with you but just highlighting the fact that the items are selected in the Layers panel (not shown in your screen recording) so for the user it looks as though nothing is being selected at all when it actually is... :)