1. Create a Rectangle shape. 

2. Duplicate it.

3. Give one copy the Stroke you want.

4. Convert the other to a Text Frame. 

5. Group them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you have Publisher V2, another option is to apply the text frame border in Publisher (Menu Bar: File > Edit in Publisher). After making the edit in Publisher, File > Edit in Designer. The border will display in Designer even though it has to be applied and edited in Publisher.

• 6 months later...

This is one of those places where ‘a line had to be drawn’ between the different functionalities available in the different Affinity applications.
Serif decided that Publisher was the right place for it, for whatever reason(s). (Publisher was released a number of years after Designer.)

A fair few people have asked for the Text Frame Panel – where a border can be given to a Text Frame – to be added to Designer.
All we can do is wait to see if that changes at some point.

@Martin, different apps have different features. Nothing curious.

While some users did even request an all-in-one solution (with a possible interface overload) and others appreciate the separation, the decision for APub's Personas + the "Edit in" option + the common, interchangeable file format combines both perspectives – both as a compromise and as additional options. [There are even users that requested to get the character style option "Leading Override" removed because they don't want to use it but feel confused by its existence in the interface.]

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue ... in Designer wanted to frame and colour background of text box ... couldn't do it. Opened the file in Publisher, and was able to access the Text Frame under Menu - Window - Text - Text Frame ... which allowed to set fill and stroke for the text box. I can then open in Designer if needed. I think I'll just work in Publisher for now. 

In version 2.3 of AD and AP, when editing text on a path, you can see that there is a "Frame text" button in the context menu, but it does not work. When you click it, nothing happens. This is either a bug that this button is there (I haven't seen this button before), or this is the first step to enabling this feature in Designer and Photo. I reported it but haven't received a response yet.

But i thing that the functionality of editing text frame should be unlocked in both AD and AP.

AD version 2.3 "text frame" button in context menu while editing text on path on screenshot bellow.

AD_text_on_path_context_toolbar.png.c5b8d68bfba56f47d9a9aeaf2cdd8020.png

As you mentioned in your recent bug report: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/196083-text-frame-button-in-context-toolbar-when-editing-text-on-path-doesnt-work-or-should-not-be-accesible-in-aphoto-adesigner/
… that button should not be there in Designer and Photo as the Text Frame functionality doesn’t exist in those applications.

It was reported years ago but either hasn’t been removed or it was removed but came back.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

It was reported years ago but either hasn’t been removed or it was removed but came back.

I searched the forum using the forum search engine and google search. I couldn't find a suitable report so I created a post in the bugs section.
Don't be jealous Garry 😀. The button shouldn't be like a yeti, appearing once and then disappearing and doing it again in several versions released one after the other.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

that button should not be there in Designer and Photo as the Text Frame functionality doesn’t exist in those applications

You misunderstood what I wrote in the bug report.

I think this functionality exists in all three programs because these three programs share much amount of their code, but for some reason it is blocked in AP and AD
And I wrote in this bug report nothing more than that if the button in the context toolbar is available to the user it should work and when clicked it should show the text frame settings panel, on the other hand if this feature should be locked, this button should not be available on the context toolbar.

Finally, I think that if text editing tools are provided, it would be good (this is my opinion, and as I can see from the comments, not only mine), to also unlock such basic functionalities as "text ruler" for tabstop, allow the user to change text frame settings using a dedicated panel just like the users ask for. 
This would not result in less revenue for Serif because no one buys a desktop publishing program if he needs such basic functions😈 and people would still buy APub even if they would already own AD

Cheers Garry😉

In don’t think I misunderstood what you wrote in the bug report.

To précis: If the Text Frame functionality should exist in Photo and Designer then the button should work, otherwise the button should not be there.

Serif decided that the Text Frame functionality was going to be for Publisher only and, because of that, the button shouldn’t be there in the Designer or Photo UI.

Serif know way more about their business, and their revenues, and their plans for the software than we do and they will either change their minds on this at some point in the future, or not, it’s entirely up to them.

They know that this sort of thing been requested, so all we have to do is wait and see if anything happens.

I’m not against it happening, it sounds quite reasonable to me, but I have no control over it and don’t know enough about Serif’s business to have any idea whether it would be the ‘right’ choice for Serif or not.

I just presented my opinion. But looking at it from a purely business perspective, limiting certain functionalities in one program and making them available only in the other is to Serif's advantage. I don't know what are the reasons why some options are blocked. That knows only Serif team.
Take a look at Adobe Illustrator (I don't like comparing to Adobe products). It has tab ruler to visualy manage tabstops, text frames can be linked, there's "area type options" panel with some nice features like columns, gutters, insets etc. All this is considered as basic stuff for text editing in a vector program.

9 minutes ago, bbrother said:

I just presented my opinion. But looking at it from a purely business perspective, limiting certain functionalities in one program and making them available only in the other is to Serif's advantage. I don't know what are the reasons why some options are blocked. That knows only Serif team.
Take a look at Adobe Illustrator (I don't like comparing to Adobe products). It has tab ruler to visualy manage tabstops, text frames can be linked, there's "area type options" panel with some nice features like columns, gutters, insets etc. All this is considered as basic stuff for text editing in a vector program.

I bought both AD and AP when it first came out. Then later got all three directly from them (outside of the appstore). Honestly, I RARELY use Photo/Designer and Publisher. Much of what I need to do I’m sure can be done with open source apps, but I just like the clean design of the GUI and like having well-made apps just in case I need to do stuff with it later. It’s only recently that I start to explore and seriously use Publisher. Also, I just like to support companies that care about their users, not forcing them to go the subscription route. Even though I don’t use the Affinity Suit professionally, but I’m sure I will upgrade all three to V3 later on if the price is reasonable.

From a business standpoint, I can understand why “limiting certain functionalities in one program and making them available only in the other is to Serif's advantage.” But I’m also of the opinion that “All this is considered as basic stuff for text editing in a vector program” and should be made available. Once you hit a certain point, you’ll eventually move on to Publisher. Having Text Frame in AD/AP won’t replace Publisher (I think). But not having it in AD can be a bit troublesome when I need to do basic stuff without having to switch to Publisher.

Another option would be to make AP/AD detects the presence of Publisher and if found, enable Text Frame in both AP/AD. If Publisher doesn’t exist on the system, then disable Text Frame.

Anyway, I don’t want to get this thread going off topic. Just want to share a few thoughts.

• 2 months later...

It drives me a little bit crazy that I can't set fill or stroke for a text frame in Designer. Yes I can draw a rectangle but then I have to group it with the frame and will use Transform on the frame and not the group so will have to Undo.

I wish that the Stroke and Colour panels set the frame's stroke and fill when the Move tool is selected instead of the text inside them. That would give us stroke and fill without making the Text Frame panel available in Designer.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 3 weeks later...

I am very impressed with everyone's patience & understanding towards Serif in regards to this "feature" request.  This is a standard feature in just about any sort of writing, drawing, or photo program and this is extremely frustrating and ridiculous that we cannot simply create a line around a text box.  I want to do this all the time with floor plans that I open in Designer...not Publisher.  There are NO valid arguments as to why Serif doesn't add this to Designer.  I've already bought all 3 products...no low ball marketing tactic to get me to buy their other products is needed because I already own it. It's great we can open DWG's in Designer for instance, & I love the Affinity suite of products (and their pricing model, big thumbs up!), until I have to bang my head against the wall with silly things like this... (see attaching ruler measurements to a drawing!)