You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adobe .grd gradient to .afpalette converter

Balakov

I spent the last weekend creating a tool to convert Adobe suite .grd gradient files to .afpalette files for use in the Affinity suite.

There are so many great resources for gradients out there but no easy way to get them into Affinity applications without a lot of manual labour.

The tool is hosted on GitHub (the Javascript code is available for the curious), but all processing is done in your browser. No files are uploaded anywhere.

https://mikestimpson.com/GrdToAfpalette/

There are a few limitation around colourspace (RGB only) and transparency (not supported), and I have not tested with a huge number of .grd files. It works for what I needed 🙂

Grd to Afpalette Converter.png

Mind officially blown, thank you @Balakov

Stock Photoshop Gradients.zip

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I added partial support for transparency a while ago, but the trouble is that Adobe palettes support more complex transparencies than Affinity can cope with. Transparency stops are completely separate from the colour stops which allows for complex transparency gradients on simple colour gradients or vice versa.

The converter supports transparency only when the transparency stops exactly match the colour stops, but looking at the screenshot you posted in the other forum, that's  likely not going to help with that you need.

I have a plan for sometime in the future to "fake" more complex transparencies by adding dummy colour stops. I just haven't got around to it yet.

@ianrb I've just pushed a version that should support transparency. See how you get on with that!

Gradients with complex transparency may be a bit fiddly to edit in Affinity because of the fake stops I add to carry the transparency info when there's no colour stop to attach it to. They should work fine as-is though. There will also be an inconsistency if you have a colour stop and a transparency stop at exactly the same location with different midpoints. At that point we've hit the limits of what you can do with Affinity gradients though, and it shouldn't be a very common occurrence.

Next task, HSB gradient support!

HSB gradient support is in. That should cover most freely available Photoshop gradients.

If anyone desperately wants support for CMYK, Grayscale or Lab colour gradients, and they have an example .grd file they can send me, just let me know. The code isn't hard, but I don't have any examples to test against.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you! great tool!

Platform: MacBook Pro 15-inch, 2017, Silver (Macbook Pro 14,3)

CPU: 2,9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

GPU: Radeon Pro 560 4 GB

Integrated GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

RAM: 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Mobile Devices: iPad 8th Gen, 32 GB, Space Gray + Apple Pencil 1st Gen

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...