You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Massive lag with the whole Suite

As you can see, I've experience with a massive lag with the whole Suite, especially with the selection/deselection of any shapes or curves. The lag starts after a short time with any file, and it extends to related tools (Shapes and Pen/Node), Stroke and File menu. The only way to stop it is to restart the apps every time. I used Photo for the videos (you can see them for more details) but the lag also affects Designer and Publisher. I have this lag with any update of V2, and now it also affects the Beta. None of that happens with the V1. It's been more than five months, and I can't work seriously with V2.

I'm really embittered.

LAG.afphoto

AMD Ryzen 3 3100 / RX 6600 / 16GB DDR4 3200 / Windows 10 Home

29 minutes ago, ℓurié said:

As you can see, I've experience with a massive lag with the whole Suite, especially with the selection/deselection of any shapes or curves. The lag starts after a short time with any file, and it extends to related tools (Shapes and Pen/Node), Stroke and File menu. The only way to stop it is to restart the apps every time. I used Photo for the videos (you can see them for more details) but the lag also affects Designer and Publisher. I have this lag with any update of V2, and now it also affects the Beta. None of that happens with the V1. It's been more than five months, and I can't work seriously with V2.

I'm really embittered.

LAG.afphoto

Thank you for showing these. This problem has persisted since V2 was released. NOTHING has been done about it. Although you are showing it PHOTO, the exact same problem is happening with DESIGNER as wel.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

thanks for the confirmation, I was hesitating to move back to v1 because I had to workaround most of my work files to work there (as there is no backward compatibility) because of the next version of v2 being close to release as it seems.

But now I guess I will just move everything back to v1 because I have this lag happening to me too all the time.

A shame really, I love new features but among the reasons I switched from illustrator in the first place was performance (and one off payment ofc).

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

• Staff

I can see that ℓurié and nitro912gr have AMD GPU's, do you also have an AMD @thegary?

We've been working with AMD to improve support so I would expect to be seeing improvements as the beta goes on. What beta builds are you all running?

8 minutes ago, Chris B said:

I can see that ℓurié and nitro912gr have AMD GPU's, do you also have an AMD @thegary?

We've been working with AMD to improve support so I would expect to be seeing improvements as the beta goes on. What beta builds are you all running?

this is reported on another thread with intel as well, even high end ones.

at least for the stable version, no idea about the beta.

The thing our AMD systems are on the old AM4 platform, a well mature one that shouldn't case any troubles.

This is why I have some doubts about the CPU being the culprit (then again, maybe is the memory subsystem, but why now and why here?)

I could blame w11 but I see the thread starter is still on W10 (stay there pall, not worth it).

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

52 minutes ago, nitro912gr said:

The thing our AMD systems are on the old AM4 platform, a well mature one that shouldn't case any troubles.

This is why I have some doubts about the CPU being the culprit (then again, maybe is the memory subsystem, but why now and why here?)

I could blame w11 but I see the thread starter is still on W10 (stay there pall, not worth it).

its INTEL and AMD chips if you read the threads.

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

On 4/28/2023 at 5:05 AM, thegary said:

This problem has persisted since V2 was released

since beta version 2.1.01781, I find myself with lags that I did not have in previous beta versions, nor on V2 release version.

Newbie - beta tester

• Ordinateur 1 : i7 7700K - 16 Go RAM -GC : Nvida 1060 6 Go - OS : Windows 10 Pro
  • Ordinateur 2 : i5-10210U - 16 Go RAM - INTEL UHD graphics - OS : Windows 11 Pro
  • Software : Suite affinity V2.1

On 4/28/2023 at 7:32 AM, Chris B said:

@Chris B

I have a AMD Threadripper CPU and NVIDIA 2080 super GPU.

Gary

On 4/28/2023 at 7:44 AM, nitro912gr said:

I believe something is broken. I have never had this slow down on version 1. V2 is unusable.

This problem has now been reported since release and we are no closer to it being fixed. 

I am not happy. What a waste of money.

Gary

4 hours ago, Chris J said:

I’m hoping we have fixed this in the next beta. Thanks all for the feedback and help. Much appreciated.

@Chris J

This issue has been reported on since day 1 of the V2 release. Now we have to wait longer for the next BETA. I bought this back in November, and I cannot use it for work . UNSTABLE. Perhaps its time to refund people. I gave you guys the plenty of time and endless reports and its now not going to be fixed in 2.1.

NOT HAPPY

Let's don't exaggerate here. And well, compared to how long we wait for illustrator to update and fix anything at all, I think people at serif are lighting fast.

Current Workstation:

9 hours ago, thegary said:

This issue has been reported on since day 1 of the V2 release.

I think that the difficulty is that this bug doesn't affect everybody at the same time.

For example, as I said, I didn't have this bug until this last beta and i presume that some don't have this massive lags with this version, that the problem with so many configurations of hardware and OS : some fixes don't work on every config and some fixes can create new issues on other configurations.

But I understand your feeling, especially if your have a semi-professional or professional use of the sofware.

I hope that Serif gonna find the ultimate fix this instability. Wait and see.

Newbie - beta tester

• Ordinateur 1 : i7 7700K - 16 Go RAM -GC : Nvida 1060 6 Go - OS : Windows 10 Pro
  • Ordinateur 2 : i5-10210U - 16 Go RAM - INTEL UHD graphics - OS : Windows 11 Pro
  • Software : Suite affinity V2.1

• Staff

Thank you Sam LaGargouille, this is exactly it. It can be extremely difficult to fix an issue that we cannot reproduce. There are a few threads regarding performance with maybe a dozen customers reporting the issue within them. The sheer amount of Windows configurations, as you say, can really hinder us diagnosing an issue.

Saying that, we have a release candidate that has hopefully made some improvements:

Please see Bugs affecting Windows > General performance improvements in the thread Ash linked to.

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

Thank you Sam LaGargouille, this is exactly it. It can be extremely difficult to fix an issue that we cannot reproduce. There are a few threads regarding performance with maybe a dozen customers reporting the issue within them. The sheer amount of Windows configurations, as you say, can really hinder us diagnosing an issue.

Saying that, we have a release candidate that has hopefully made some improvements:

Please see Bugs affecting Windows > General performance improvements in the thread Ash linked to.

@Chris B

This issue has more than few people talking about it. From what i can tell everyone has passed on their details of their machines. If the problem doesn't exist in V1, why V2?

This is being ignored.  It has stopped everyone in my union for film from using V2 or your software. The print shops dont want files from AFFINITY anymore either. I have passed this info on. We send 10000 - 80000 dollars worth of art out for printing for a average film here.  Its alot of art work to make in 3 months. V2 has slowed that down. We are now using V1 and most are back to Illustrator.

I like Affinity software and why I gave up Adobe. But this issue has now been reported since last November when you released the software.

Please rectify this fast. I paid for the Universal license and can't use it. Dont' like spending money on something i can't use.

Gary

Aside the designer issue, I would suggest to send PDF to printshops, no matter the program you design.

Current Workstation:

@Chris B

Sorry Chris, didn't read it that way. Will try when 2.1 is release and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply. Just frustrated. Want to use V2. But can't. I use V1 every day 12-14 hours a day. V2 would speed up a lot of my work. Just need it fixed.

Gary

41 minutes ago, nitro912gr said:

Aside the designer issue, I would suggest to send PDF to printshops, no matter the program you design.

@nitro912gr

Print shops get EPS, PDF and JPEGs always. There are still issues with how its outputting to EPS and PDF. If you do the same work in illustrator and output to EPS and PDF no issues at all. 

Have been trying to figure it out with printshops for a while. They don't know what it is either. But it screws up there ripping software something terrible.

Gary

🤔  Hmmmmm. I've never had any issue with this. I must be the exception! 😂

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

yeah so far seems like something in windows versions, how I wish I have gone for the universal license now :P

Current Workstation:

Okay, so I'm running an instance of the 1790 build with OpenCL disabled on my Windows computer right now, and I have to say that so far it's a remarkable improvement over the lagging I got in 1781—probably at least as fast as version 1 or close to it. Granted, it's only been running for a few hours, but I'll let this instance run overnight and see if I find anything different the next day.