You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Grid no longer working in Affinity Photo V2

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

The Automatic setting then just seems like a simple waste of space then. 

I noticed that the AP V2 Grids help topic says that the automatic setting "displays a pixel grid that displays automatically at higher zoom levels..." This begs the questions of if at lower zoom settings it still has any effect, & also how high the zoom level has to be to see (or use?) it. Plus, why even require the extra step of having to zoom in to see it? How often do we really need to zoom all the way in to see individual pixels in typical workflows, even when working on pixel images?

But really, my question is why do we need this default at all vs. how the automatic grid default works in all the other Affinity apps, both V1 & V2? It seems like a solution looking for a problem that doesn't really exist.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

30 minutes ago, R C-R said:

This begs the questions of if at lower zoom settings it still has any effect, & also how high the zoom level has to be to see (or use?) it.

High enough that there is room for empty space between the lines, so you don't just have a solid block of blue (or whatever color) grid. It will depend on image size and DPI, I think.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

High enough...
{...}
 It will depend on image size and DPI, I think.

My point is that there is no way to know in advance how high that is without actually zooming in until the grid appears.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

My point is that there is no way to know in advance how high that is without actually zooming in until the grid appears.

Right. Which is probably why the documentation doesn't say.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Right. Which is probably why the documentation doesn't say.

Which to me at the very least makes it a very odd choice for a default because as we have seen from this discussion it causes much confusion about it not working, compounded by how differently it works from all the other Affinity apps & versions.

If nothing else, I think it would be better to reinstate the old behavior for automatic & if deemed necessary or desirable adding a suitably named 1X1 px grid to the choices, along with basic & the others.

Affinity Photo 

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I have created a preset for the grid & axis setting but every time I close an image I have to select my short cut and then click show gris. This slows my work flow. I have tried this in 2.2.1 and 2.2.0 (1903).

Any way we can have a user settings so that I can set this a permanent selection to save steps? Only only use this one grid.

I am running on Mac Pro Ventura 3.4 12 core with 96GB of ram.

36 minutes ago, spiderpod7d said:

Any way we can have a user settings so that I can set this a permanent selection to save steps?

Nothing like that is currently implemented. I think there have been Feature Requests for it.

-- Walt
PC:

8 hours ago, spiderpod7d said:

Yes I know just thought I would add my voice to the chorus. I agree The Devs need to start fixing some of the basic things before adding new features that's all.

It would be helpful to improve everybody's workflows.

Very much appreciated, the more users vote for fixing this issue, the higher the probability that the devs will care.

• 5 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, ianrb said:

Has or is there are a fix ; sorry if I missed it
Win 10 -- V2 latest
using my old lappy as away from home
Was working just after adding V2 but has now disappeared

Nothing has changed. You still need to open the Grid and Axis manager (View > Grid and Axis...) and switch from the Automatic grid to Basic, or specify a Preset you previously saved.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...

Just loaded v2.2.0

It is STILL NOT POSSIBLE to set a grid preset as a GLOBAL default that persists when Affinity Photo is closed or when a new image is loaded.

Forever having to open GRID & AXIS and then load a preset just to get a visible grid of the desired pitch is time wasting, frustrating and not acceptable.    Complaints have been registered on this forum since the demise of v1 and have not been acted on.   This is NOT an enhancement request - it is a request for a return to the functionality of v1

Do you care Serif?

Hi All

I feel the same way. This in Not a feature it is basic functionality. I have asked for this and other issues that did not exsist in AP V1 since the release of V2 and nothing has been done. No point wasting time on new features when you can't get basic ones to function.

I have started looking for another app thinking of Luminar Neo despite the price. No point in saving money if you lose it in a slow workflow on jobs. This is false economy.

I suspect that Serif just do not understand the issue that was first raised with the release of v2.

1) There are good reasons for a 1-pixel grid.

2) There are even better reasons for users to be able to show the grid they want for their work by a simple [cmd/cntr] + '   I.e. a user selected default grid.

3) Provide both by allowing a preset to be chosen as default.

I've loved the Affinity suite since the first releases - so refreshing to be free of the Adobe yoke.   BUT these frustrations and zero actions to resolve them mount up.  Time to look elsewhere?

2 hours ago, Dimitrios said:

Seven months passed since the first post about this issue. I think that if the staff were aware and caring about it; they have solved it. 

Apparently, the 1 px "automatic" grid default is a by design change in AP V2 because they thought for pixel based work "automatic" should mean that the grid should only be visible when zoomed in far enough to see individual pixels. Thus, they seem to think there is nothing to fix.

But even if users accept that to me bizarre design choice, it would still be great if presets were global or at least 'sticky' between launches.

Affinity Photo 

18 hours ago, spiderpod7d said:

Hi All

I feel the same way. This in Not a feature it is basic functionality. I have asked for this and other issues that did not exsist in AP V1 since the release of V2 and nothing has been done. No point wasting time on new features when you can't get basic ones to function.

I have started looking for another app thinking of Luminar Neo despite the price. No point in saving money if you lose it in a slow workflow on jobs. This is false economy.

I agree so much. Very poor that the developers are ignoring such basic and essential requests by the users. This is not the only issue, another one: Exporting all open images by one click instead of performing the exporting procedure for each one.

I regret that I paid for the update to V2 and gonna look for an alternative.

Best regards, Ulrich

Hi Len 96

I would also like to be able to Sync Develop Settings to multiple images for doing HDR Photos. Lightroom and PS allowed this for every adjustment the application could do. I affinity Photo you have to create develop presets for every phot you take, ridiculous.

There are more but I would have to think about it and make a list. There is no point creating a feature by copying Adobe unless you are going to improve on it, otherwise you are just creating a new problems

I have reported a problem regarding a 2 monitor setup where the the panels change size and position each time the app is opened. This again shpould have been fixed long ago as it wasn't present in Photo V1. Still Happening through all of the betas and three full releases.

I have spent most of my time since purchasing V1 trying to create work arounds for basic thing I used in LR and PS

Serif could review the basic requirements for features already existing and fix them for maximum workflow (least number of clicks. I would and others would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

The problem with the grid is the same as with several settings in the Affinity apps, rather than making the setting “sticky”, so that the user can choose the default setting that they want, Serif insist on the settings continually defaulting back to whatever the developers chose instead! 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

10 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

The problem with the grid is the same as with several settings in the Affinity apps, rather than making the setting “sticky”, so that the user can choose the default setting that they want, Serif insist on the settings continually defaulting back to whatever the developers chose instead! 

I would be seriously interested to know why Serif does it this way and doesn't use the user-friendly way of setting things up.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz