You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Upgrading from Affinity Photo v1 to v2

Thanks Old Bruce.

OK. This, added to the fact that AP v2 is now an app (very strange decision) instead of a standard program doesn't incite me to upgrade.

I'm not aware of any big application being written as a Windows App. This generates too much trouble for those who want to control how their applications are launched and how they are installed on their system.

--Patrick
Hamburg ist der wahre Grund
warum Kompassnadeln nach Norden zeigen.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, pallavi said:

This is not a good idea to ask existing license holders of version 1.0 to pay for version 2.0 upgrade, generally it comes free.

Welcome to the Forums!  You can continue to use your V1 apps as long as you choose.  And you may have noticed that a new update (v.1.10.6) has been announced today in these forums.   However, V2 is not an update.  It is an upgrade of the three apps with many new capabilities, and improvements.  As such, Serif should no more be asked to provide all of their development work and creativity at no charge, than Honda Motors should have been asked to hand me a brand new Honda Accord with all sorts of new bells and whistles, when my previous Honda Civic was in perfectly good condition.  It was my option to pay for the upgrade or keep the older car.😊    

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

• 1 month later...
On 12/2/2022 at 2:31 PM, jmwellborn said:

Welcome to the Forums!  You can continue to use your V1 apps as long as you choose.  And you may have noticed that a new update (v.1.10.6) has been announced today in these forums.   However, V2 is not an update.  It is an upgrade of the three apps with many new capabilities, and improvements.  As such, Serif should no more be asked to provide all of their development work and creativity at no charge, than Honda Motors should have been asked to hand me a brand new Honda Accord with all sorts of new bells and whistles, when my previous Honda Civic was in perfectly good condition.  It was my option to pay for the upgrade or keep the older car.😊    

Apologizing for greed. Although the upgrade cost is certainly less than competitors, I has assumed my V1 purchase of Affinity Photo was a universal license including all future versions. It seems I am not the only person who also interpreted the license agreement this way.

I was quite confused as well with Affinity Photo v2. I looked all around for my "update" link/option. The conclusion is that I need to purchase new versions at whatever full/discount price everybody else can buy it. I know that this is not the case with vehicles, but "update" options are standard in the software industry. It means that I'll keep using my v1 as long as I can. 

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have purchased v1 both Affinity Photo and Affinity Publisher. Didn't use it for some time but not want to revisit it.

However unable to use Photo and Affinity now. Not interested in upgrade to V2, I just want to use V1. Apparently not possible - if correct this has been a pretty bad deal for me.

• Staff

Hi @Eugene Leeman,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

I can see that you originally purchased Affinity V1 apps through the Microsoft Store, meaning you should be able to redownload and reinstall these apps, free of charge, on your Windows PC - without any requirement to upgrade to Affinity V2.

If you're unsure how to redownload previously purchased V1 apps from the Microsoft Store, you can find out how to achieve this here:

If you've been able to download and install V1 on your PC, but are having trouble running/using the app, can you please expand on the issue you're experiencing?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your response and advise which appreciated.

I went through your steps. Following feedback :

1- the Affinity Photo v1 was/is still on my PC but at startup I get a popup window with V2 offer

2- when ignoring V2 offer and going through the pull down menus, at least half of it are grey which means I can't use them

3- it is impossible to open any photo or another file for editing. It just quits the program and that's it.

4- in my Affinity Account there is no purchase history but should be there. Procurement date 19 JUN 2021 

5- Together with Affinity Photo I also purchased Publisher. Same story - quitting programme as soon as I want to elaborate.

6- I also went into the Microsoft Store. I can see Photo (v1) and Publisher (v1) there in my Library, but can't get it going. On the top right in the Microsoft store is a "Get Updates" button which I did but no change. Store tells me Last Modified 12/3/2022 for both apps.

How to solve this ?

Screenshot (106).png

Screenshot (107).png

Screenshot (108).png

Screenshot (110).png

12 minutes ago, Eugene Leeman said:

6 - I also went into the Microsoft Store. I can see Photo (v1) and Publisher (v1) there in my Library, but can't get it going. On the top right in the Microsoft store is a "Get Updates" button which I did but no change. Store tells me Last Modified 12/3/2022 for both apps.

From your screenshot you have the latest release of V1 installed, so there's no need to try to update.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

56 minutes ago, Eugene Leeman said:

How to solve this ?

What happens if you just click the Close button in the Upgrade offer window?

As for the greyed out items in the menu, they are only available if a document is open, so try for instance the New menu item.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that for me and the screenshots provided!

10 hours ago, Eugene Leeman said:

2- when ignoring V2 offer and going through the pull down menus, at least half of it are grey which means I can't use them

As R C-R mentions above, this is due to having no file open at the moment - though I understand the app is crashing when opening/creating a file currently.

3- it is impossible to open any photo or another file for editing. It just quits the program and that's it.

5- Together with Affinity Photo I also purchased Publisher. Same story - quitting programme as soon as I want to elaborate.

I'm certainly sorry to hear this, can you please open the Affinity Photo app and navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

4- in my Affinity Account there is no purchase history but should be there. Procurement date 19 JUN 2021 

As you purchased the Affinity app from the Microsoft Store, the Affinity Store is correct not to include the app in your 'purchase history' - as it was not purchased from the Affinity Store directly. However you have registered the purchase from the Microsoft Store with your Affinity Account successfully, hence I was able to see and confirm this in my first reply here.

This is the expected behaviour when the Affinity apps are purchased on a third party store and should be of no concern.

6- I also went into the Microsoft Store. I can see Photo (v1) and Publisher (v1) there in my Library, but can't get it going. On the top right in the Microsoft store is a "Get Updates" button which I did but no change. Store tells me Last Modified 12/3/2022 for both apps.

As Walt mentions above, your Affinity V1 apps may be fully up-to-date and this is why you are not offered an update in the Microsoft Store. You can check your Affinity version number through Help > About in the Affinity app & this should show '1.10.6'.

Many thanks once again :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thank you for providing that for me!

6 minutes ago, Eugene Leeman said:

When I ignore the upgrade to V2 popup and try to open a file or click on new, the system crashes all the time.

Crashing when creating/opening a document usually indicates an issue with the Affinity apps communicating with your graphics card - therefore I'd recommend ensuring your drivers are fully up to date for your GTX 1650, directly from Nvidias website:

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx

Once downloaded and installed, restart your PC and try opening/creating a file in Affinity again for me - hopefully this crash no longer occurs.

If you're still seeing the same behaviour, please return to Edit > Settings > Performance and untick Hardware Acceleration at the bottom of the dialog.
Now restart the Affinity app as prompted and try once again for me.

Please do let me know how you get on here :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

53 minutes ago, Eugene Leeman said:

When I ignore the upgrade to V2 popup

The “upgrade to V2 popup” is just the “Welcome Panel”.

If you don’t want to see that panel - which includes that message - each time you launch the application you can uncheck the “Show this panel on startup” checkbox at the bottom of that panel.

The software will work as normal without it, and you can see the panel again if you want to by using menu “Help → Welcome”.

Looks like updating the graphics driver did the trick.

I can now open an existing file (picture) to edit it or create a new one.

Same for Publisher.

So back in business for Affinity Photo and Publisher (v1 that is). This is what I was looking for.

Grateful for your excellent feedback and assistance ! Top.

• Staff

I'm very glad to hear this - many thanks for letting me know :)

Please note -

Many thanks!