You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector Warp - awesome, but...

On 11/10/2022 at 9:19 PM, Dampsquid said:

So happy to get this, especially for text... now please bring it home...

Yes truly awesome but this is the first stage of Affinity's vector warp ability. I'm guessing and hoping it will continue to evolve like many of the features from the first version of Designer 8 years ago - even so I'm an happy chappie as vector warping was my No1 need and MattP has done a brilliant job👍

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

On 11/10/2022 at 1:19 PM, Dampsquid said:

So happy to get this, especially for text... now please bring it home...

We need the equivalent (or better!) of Illustrator's  Object / Envelope Distort / make with top object....

I agree with @ThirtyFiveThousand. How is Adobe's different/better?

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

Mesh warp in nice indeed  but I would prefer they would do  direction control (both manually and  by texture input) in live displace.     Displace is so much  proper way to deform 2d Image.     Even better idea probably is to use UV coordinate AOV image  to place bitmap  on a necessary shape.  Another live filter probably.   Like everybody do it in 2d compositing .   You want to put a logo on 3d rendered  car in a movie post render , nobody would  ever want to do it  with mesh deform  especially when you need it in 2k frames.

On 11/16/2022 at 1:14 AM, kirk23 said:

Mesh warp in nice indeed  but I would prefer they would do  direction control (both manually and  by texture input) in live displace.     Displace is so much  proper way to deform 2d Image.     Even better idea probably is to use UV coordinate AOV image  to place bitmap  on a necessary shape.  Another live filter probably.   Like everybody do it in 2d compositing .   You want to put a logo on 3d rendered  car in a movie post render , nobody would  ever want to do it  with mesh deform  especially when you need it in 2k frames.

If you want to put a logo on a 3D object, then why not just put it on a 3D object?

1 hour ago, Dampsquid said:

Being able to draw a shape and have the warp applied such that it 'just fits' with a couple of clicks... very quick and usually a good result.

I agree, I think it would be great to have that quick option available. The downside of Adobe's implementation is that the warp mesh is not very editable — you can modify the outside points/curves but not the interior area. So having the flexibility of Affinity's Warp Group, with the added ability to conform to a shape as a starting point, would be remarkable!

22 hours ago, ThirtyFiveThousand said:

If you want to put a logo on a 3D object, then why not just put it on a 3D object?

I meant not 3d object but rather 2d image,   computer generated . Basically rendered picture.  Why I need to  modify 3d scene  and render again when it's simple and  easy to  just distort  a logo  to match  something perfectly using depth   or UV AOV if they have been included  in your render.     No guess as with manual  mesh wrap.  Try to use  that mesh wrap to make a logo following something complicated  ,  a waving flag for example.     Still the mesh wrap is a nice addition too indeed.

6 hours ago, deeds said:

Procreate is the single biggest and best reason to own an iPad.

You’re right, Procreate is awesome, and many artists are purchasing expensive iPads only to draw with it. But lately I’ve seen people so amazed by Affinity 2.0 for iPad that they purchased iPad especially for it too. Someone new to Affinity ordered his M2 iPad after visiting these forums the other day, and social media is full by similar comments. I think that Affinity 2.0 is starting to change people’s way of thinking at what an  iPad could do for professionals. V2 seems like a game changer.

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

1 hour ago, iulian said:

You’re right, Procreate is awesome, and many artists are purchasing expensive iPads only to draw with it. But lately I’ve seen people so amazed by Affinity 2.0 for iPad that they purchased iPad especially for it too. Someone new to Affinity ordered his M2 iPad after visiting these forums the other day, and social media is full by similar comments. I think that Affinity 2.0 is starting to change people’s way of thinking at what an  iPad could do for professionals. V2 seems like a game changer.

Come on... you can admit it... since using Procreate, there's been at least one time when you've sketched something on a real piece of paper, and double tapped to undo, out of habit from too much Procreate usage...

10 hours ago, kirk23 said:

I meant not 3d object but rather 2d image,   computer generated . Basically rendered picture.  Why I need to  modify 3d scene  and render again when it's simple and  easy to  just distort  a logo  to match  something perfectly using depth   or UV AOV if they have been included  in your render.     No guess as with manual  mesh wrap.  Try to use  that mesh wrap to make a logo following something complicated  ,  a waving flag for example.     Still the mesh wrap is a nice addition too indeed.

With the suite of 3D software available for the iPad Pro, I find it equally easy to just create a 3D model in some cases. AD Mesh Warp is the next best thing. Both solutions complement each other well and fill each others gaps. All of this is the reason I barely touch the desktop version of my Affinity suite. 

IMG_6150.png