You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not able to start Affinity Photo 2 from DxO, XNViewMP, ART and Raw Therapee

pefunk

3 hours ago, Arakel said:

Some programs (DxO, XNView, FastStone Imageviewer) require an exe file to be able to call other programs.
I remembered AutoIT and quickly created executables for the Affinity V2 products.
I could offer the executable files, but these would probably not be credible from a security perspective.
So here is the AutoIt source code:

$sParameter = ""
$i = 1
While $i <= $CmdLine[0]
   $sParameter = $sParameter&" "&$CmdLine[$i]
   $i = $i + 1
WEnd
$sRun = "AffinityPhoto2.exe " & $sParameter
Run($sRun)

As you can see, the call parameters are passed. This works great on my system. (I'm not a professional programmer, so the source code might not be very pretty ;)

Faststone, Photo Supreme & Xnviewmp (and I think DxO) can all start Affinity with  bat files and a bat file with these 2 lines works great

start /b affinityphoto2.exe %1

Exit.

Written in Notepad and saved as Aphoto2.bat

Edited by Dangerous
To correct posted bat file

15 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

Faststone, Photo Supreme & Xnviewmp (and I think DxO) can all start Affinity with  bat files and a bat file with these 2 lines works great

You're right, Xnview and Faststone Imageviewer allow bat files to be entered as targets.
This is not possible with DxO PhotoLab 5.5. You absolutely need an exe file for DxO.

5 minutes ago, Arakel said:

This is not possible with DxO PhotoLab 5.5. You absolutely need an exe file for DxO.

You may well be correct. I thought someone had used a bat file but I don't have DxO to test with. There is one program that starts with B that also works with a bat file but I really can't remember the name.

53 minutes ago, Arakel said:

You're right, Xnview and Faststone Imageviewer allow bat files to be entered as targets.

EXE File deleted as others have pointed out people don't trust 3rd party exe files and pointed me to the official Serif file. 

4 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

I have converted the bat file to an exe. does this work

Downloading user-provided .exe files from the forums is considered unsafe. (Not intended as a comment about you, Dangerous.)

It might be better to simply point to the one provided by Serif to work around this problem in some 3rd-party apps, aflaunch:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, Dangerous said:

I have converted the bat file to an exe. does this work?

I will not use an exe file from an unsafe source.

I wrote here how to create an exe file with AutoIt:

This solution works very well for me and I wanted to share it with others.

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Downloading user-provided .exe files from the forums is considered unsafe. (Not intended as a comment about you, Dangerous.)

It might be better to simply point to the one provided by Serif to work around this problem in some 3rd-party apps, aflaunch:

I had not seen that serif had uploaded one, better than mine although mine does have an affinity icon (albeit round).

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2022 at 8:52 PM, Fabbio said:

Sorry for my bad English.
Translated with DEEPL.
Launch Affinity Photo 2 via another application,
works with a little trick :)

Launch Affinity Photo 2,
Start Task Manager,
Select Affinity Photo 2 in the task manager,
right click,
open path,
copy path in Explorer.

Example DxO:
Open the window for selecting the *.exe,
Paste the copied path here,
now the Photo.exe can be selected.
Done :)

Here is a small tutorial video:
http://snap.ashampoo.com/zIu7xzQ2v6peo1GFW2cbD6fTNVaY8Nsx7PYonnTOfLQ4q247ZHF9q5ZL7MTW0oGF

Info

Uploaded: 12-Nov-2022
Expired: 10-Dec-2022
15.92 MB

Thx, this one worked for me out of ACDSee 2023 - great

------

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro --  10.0.2221 Build 22621 -  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz, 6 Kern(e), 12 logische(r) Prozessor(en)  -  Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630  -  16 GB RAM

AF Photo, AF Designer, AF Publisher  - 2.0.0

--

Ventura 13.0.1  -  MacBook Pro  -   32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4  -  AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

AF Photo, AF Designer, AF Publisher  -2.0.0

--

iPadOS 16.1 -   AF Photo 2.0.2.312, AF Designer 2.0.2.2, AF Publisher 2.0.2.1654

On 11/9/2022 at 3:50 PM, walt.farrell said:

I found it necessary to use a helper .bat file:

start /b affinityphoto2.exe %1
exit

I named mine LaunchAffinityPhoto2.bat and saved it. Then I point to that bat file from the other programs that need to invoke Photo 2.

Thanks Walt. Works for me with XnView.

Windows 10 Prof.; Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481, Beta 1.8.0.532

On 11/30/2022 at 10:10 PM, RichardMH said:

In XnView, if you have your default apps set properly you only need  to press F3

No F3 opens with "System" and makes me a full screen of the selected photo. In XnViewMP, the F3 key also opens the image in *XnView*. In both programs I have to press + F3 (example).

Guzzi

5 minutes ago, Guzzi said:

Sorry for white space.

ALT + F3 (Example). I don't know what's going on here.

Windopws 10 Pro, AP 1.10.5.1342, AP 2.0.0

Edited by Guzzi
signature was wrong

On 11/11/2022 at 11:23 AM, LuNik700 said:

Hallo Wolfgang_AP,
ich habe es jetzt noch einmal komplett durchgespielt, die Installations-Datei in ein beliebiges Verzeichnis zu entpacken. Das scheint zu funktionieren!!!

Also: Ich habe auf Laufwerk C einen Ordner PortableApps ... dort habe ich ein Verzeichnis AffinityPhoto2 angelegt und dorthinein die Installationsdatei affinity-photo-2.0.0.msix kopiert. Diese habe ich dann dort per 7zip entpackt. Danach findet man dort ein Unterverzeichnis App und dort eine ausführbare Datei photo.exe.

Diese kannst Du starten oder Dir darauf eine Verknüpfung erstellen oder was auch immer Du brauchst. Die "normale" Installation von Photo 2 in Windows Apps-Verzeichnis habe ich deinstalliert (PC-Einstellungen|Apps).

Bisher schein das gut zu funktionieren.

Gruß
Ludger

Hallo Ludger

super, vielen Dank!

Genau danach habe ich gesucht, da ich fast alle Programme mit Shortcuts starte.

Gruss

Ivo

Hi Ivo,

bis zur Bereitstellung des "normalen" Installers belasse ich das bei mir so. Die Lösung mit der Batch-Datei  funktioniert natürlich auch ...
Irgendjemand von Serif hatte noch darauf hingewiesen, dass das von offizieller Seite nicht unterstützt sei. Naja, wegen meiner auch ohne offiziellen Segen ... bei mir habe ich bisher keine Einschränkungen festgestellt, ich nutze allerdings von Serif auch ausschließlich Photo!

Viele Grüße
Ludger