You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Install V2 onto another drive?

• Staff

Hi @kaylon

This is a byproduct of us switching to MSIX installers for our V2 range. Please could you try steps 1 through 6 from the below guide to see if the app then installs on the correct drive for you? https://www.alphr.com/change-install-folder-location-windows-10-apps/
Please note you will need to revert this change unless you want that drive to be the new default install location for all MSIX apps.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

9 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi @kaylon

This is a byproduct of us switching to MSIX installers for our V2 range. Please could you try steps 1 through 6 from the below guide to see if the app then installs on the correct drive for you? https://www.alphr.com/change-install-folder-location-windows-10-apps/
Please note you will need to revert this change unless you want that drive to be the new default install location for all MSIX apps.

Thanks
C

Can you please provide an alternate installer? Our corporate standard operating environment Windows 10 version can't even run the installer. It's also not possible to update windows. That's done company wide over hundreds of thousands of machines only after super intensive testing and nothing anyone but the top of our parent companies IT department can even consider. Changing the installer to something so unsupported and blocking so many users is not a good idea.

Some can't choose locations, others can't install at all.

I've tried moving the Apps but they no longer run, the App icons are grey and do not execute. I am in the same situation as Matty above and I think this is a very poor show not to have alternate solutions for this. £90 is great value only when you can actually efficiently use the product. I've been a Serif user for decades and this is quite disappointing.  

6 hours ago, kaylon said:

I've tried moving the Apps but they no longer run, the App icons are grey and do not execute

Do they still run from the Windows Start menu?

If so, you probably just need to recreate the icons, the way you created them in the first place.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

you probably just need to recreate the icons, the way you created them in the first place.

Just dragging from the Start Menu to the Desktop worked for me!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

It's very annoying that it is not possible to install to a drive or path of my choice. Why did Serif provide Affinity Photo 2 as a MSIX package?????
After a while I figuered out that Affinity Photo 2 is installed in C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps and I was able to create a link on my desktop ... 
But up to now I didn't find a way to call Photo 2 from another program with a photo-file as a parameter (like [path]\AffinityPhoto2.exe %). This is essential for my workflow!!!

Can anybody help???!!!

Best regards
Ludger

Edited by LuNik700

3 hours ago, LuNik700 said:

It's very annoying that it is not possible to install to a drive or path of my choice.

It is (I think) possible to install to the drive of your choice; but not to the path. Start > Settings > System > Storage and you should find and option to control where new content is installed.  

Why did Serif provide Affinity Photo 2 as a MSIX package?????

It provides significant benefits in the download and updating of the applications. As well as sandboxing for security. 

But up to now I didn't find a way to call Photo 2 from another program with a photo-file as a parameter (like [path]\AffinityPhoto2.exe %). This is essential for my workflow!!!

The V2 apps provide Windows App Execution Aliases which are supposed to allow that, but there's some kind of problem with other applications invoking them. If your application allows invocation of .bat files you can create one that invokes the alias, and that should work. 

See: 

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thanks Walt!!!
Of cause the solution with a Starter-Batch works. But as already discussed in "Not able to start Affinity Photo 2 from DxO, XNViewMP, ART and Raw Therapee" I work with DXO that only allows .exe files. 

I hope this can and will be fixed very soon!!

Cheers
Ludger

OH BOY .

This install IS A MESS. My opinion is very low with  SERIF right now.

We need  a regular installer for all the reasons others have mentioned above.  I am awaiting a fix before i activate.

Otherwise perhaps is back to the ADOBE scams. At least they let you CHOOSE how you run your software.

G

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

Hey,

I also have a problem with this for many reasons.

For one thing my anti-virus does not scan msi files and I assume it is the same for msix.
So if somehow Serif gets main file on server infected then risk is very high.

But since my c drve is only used for OS as it is small I will have to return the software or somehow come up with a work around.

Not impressed as the Faq's and specs page should make it clear that only c drive can be used.

Thanks
Fred

45 minutes ago, keithwjones said:

Eventually got Photo to move to D drive.

Then installed other 2 direct to D drive.

Instructions:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/167827-is-it-possible-to-change-the-installation-path-when-installing-affinity-v2/

Thanks to Serif for price deal.

Keith

Hey Keith,

Thanks for the added info and help.

That is fantastic news, but leaves me with a folowup question.

What will happen during updates of the software will they work still or revert back to c drive?

Thanks

Fred

Just now, Grenpara said:

What will happen during updates of the software will they work still or revert back to c drive?

It should work as you'd want.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 months later...

In this day and time when computers are configured with two SSD's, one for the operating system and the other for all programs you come out with an installer which gives no choice. I have been using Affinity software for many years as it really works well for my needs and was excited to see a new version until now. I even took advantage of the special offer before Jan. 25th. I do not and will not install software that I cannot choose the path of the installation. I probably will be asking for a full refund of my purchase if a way to choose the path of install is not found.

12 minutes ago, Technics said:

In this day and time when computers are configured with two SSD's, one for the operating system and the other for all programs you come out with an installer which gives no choice. I have been using Affinity software for many years as it really works well for my needs and was excited to see a new version until now. I even took advantage of the special offer before Jan. 25th. I do not and will not install software that I cannot choose the path of the installation. I probably will be asking for a full refund of my purchase if a way to choose the path of install is not found.

Windows lets you choose which drive an MSIX-based program will install to, in Settings. (Though some users have reported that it doesn't work for them, which sounds more like a Windows issue than a Serif issue).

In any case, you've had the option since January 27 to install using an MSI/EXE-based installer. So if you really don't like MSIX, just use that one.

-- Walt
PC:

I really appreciate your quick reply in providing the information for the msi installers. I googled the issue and saw nothing about the msi files before I posted. It wasn't until after I posted I saw that there was going to be msi installers made available but still didn't know they were already available until now. Thank you for the work you do and for providing Affinity software. They are great programs.

Julian