Jump to content

Vertices overlaps and inconsistencies all fixed in later versions? DESIGNER


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Right, and thus the problem deeds is facing.

Yes it is, but it is not a problem Serif can do anything about.

Affinity Photo 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5, Affinity Publisher 1.10.5;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.5.280 & Affinity Designer 1.10.5 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.0.2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't think so. You don't need to be logged-in to the MAS in order to use applications you've downloaded/installed, do you?

Not sure, that's why I am asking. At least I noticed occasionally that Apple / macOS wants me to enter my ID (username + password) from time to time, entirely without me trying to do something in the app store at that time. (maybe caused by playing formerly purchased music via iTunes?). To me it seems once I did log in any time the macOS keeps this state in mind for weeks but may require an additional, separate conformation (log in) as soon I want to purchase sth from the store.

14 minutes ago, R C-R said:

No, but you do need to log into your user account in the MAS app to install updates for any apps you bought through the MAS.

Thanks. This is indeed confusing up to annoying: even without having auto-updates activated macOS does remind me from time to time about available updates. That seems to mean it reminds me regardless of my logged-in state, respectively even if I don't know valid log-in data any more.

macOS 10.14.6, MacBookPro Retina 15" + Eizo 27"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Thanks. This is indeed confusing up to annoying: even without having auto-updates activated macOS does remind me from time to time about available updates. That seems to mean it reminds me regardless of my logged-in state, respectively even if I don't know valid log-in data any more.

The only time I ever see anything about updating apps bought from the MAS is if I am signed in to my account in the MAS app. Are you sure you have ever seen a reminder or anything else about updating a MAS app when you are not signed into your account there? 

Affinity Photo 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5, Affinity Publisher 1.10.5;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.5.280 & Affinity Designer 1.10.5 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.0.2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@thomaso and @R C-R,

I do believe that the different behaviours the to of you are experiencing regarding Mac App Store update notices are dependent on the OS you are running and maybe perhaps which country's App Store you are set up in.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 11.6.8

Affinity Designer 1.10.5 | Affinity Photo 1.10.5 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, R C-R said:

The only time I ever see anything about updating apps bought from the MAS is if I am signed in to my account in the MAS app. Are you sure you have ever seen a reminder or anything else about updating a MAS app when you are not signed into your account there? 

Not sure. As I replied before my experience is that Apple / macOS demands me to log-in from time to time but without using the App Store at that time. Maybe it is related to iTunes (means audio only) because once such a log-in mask occurred on my mac it also occurred on my iPad on the same day. That made me think for a purchased app a similar, occasional log-in might be required … and would be independent of the log-in which is required for actually purchasing any new thing.

macOS 10.14.6, MacBookPro Retina 15" + Eizo 27"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I do believe that the different behaviours the to of you are experiencing regarding Mac App Store update notices are dependent on the OS you are running and maybe perhaps which country's App Store you are set up in.

AFAIK, the only differences relating to which macOS version is being used is how you access the updates in the MAS app (because different macOS versions use different versions of the MAS app ). But I am fairly sure that in all of them you have to be signed into your user account to download & install the updates.

There are differences related to which country or region you purchased MAS apps from because Apple ties these purchases directly to the one country or area store you purchased the apps from, but I do not know why Apple does that.

Affinity Photo 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5, Affinity Publisher 1.10.5;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.5.280 & Affinity Designer 1.10.5 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.0.2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2022 at 12:51 AM, walt.farrell said:

I don't think so. You don't need to be logged-in to the MAS in order to use applications you've downloaded/installed, do you?

Though they do have a way to "round-about" this fuller control on iOS. They "offload" your apps to the iCloud. Yes, the same iCloud you can no longer access. They use the facility that's for "saving space" to do this. Despite this feature not being activated on those devices. 

Probably coming to Mac, soon.


It just works.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/25/2022 at 1:16 AM, R C-R said:

Yes it is, but it is not a problem Serif can do anything about.

Nonsense. Affinity knows exactly who I am. Their not being able to do something about it is entirely arbitrary. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, deeds said:

Their not being able to do something about it is entirely arbitrary. 

How can Serif do anything about Apple's policies & restrictions for apps sold through the Mac App Store? Serif has no control over that at all.

Affinity Photo 1.10.5, Affinity Designer 1.10.5, Affinity Publisher 1.10.5;  2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.5.280 & Affinity Designer 1.10.5 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.0.2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, deeds said:

Nonsense. Affinity knows exactly who I am. Their not being able to do something about it is entirely arbitrary. 

No, they don't. They have no knowledge that you bought something from Apple. They have no record of that sale, nor who the purchaser was. They may know who you are in the forums (though only by email address), and if you've made an Affinity Store account then they know your email address there. But they do not know you have a legitimate copy of Designer unless you purchased it from them, which you didn't.

(Starting with 1.9, and the Account feature in the applications, they could know you have a copy. And perhaps, in the future, that will enable them to modify their policies if they choose to do so. But before 1.9 (and you are at 1.8) they don't know anything about your purchase of an app from Apple.)

If you can't convince Apple that you are who you say you are, and that you own a copy of the app you bought from Apple, why should Serif believe anything?

-- Walt

   Desktop: new:  Windows 11 Home, version 21H2 (22000.613) 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090  (old: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970 )
   Laptop:  Windows 10 Home, version 21H2 (19044.1706) 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1342 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1342 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1282 Beta
 iPad Pro M1, 12.9", iPadOS 15.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard

  Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.280) and 1.10.2 (.266) Beta / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.21) and 1.10.3 (.19) Beta 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

No, they don't. They have no knowledge that you bought something from Apple. They have no record of that sale, nor who the purchaser was. They may know who you are in the forums (though only by email address), and if you've made an Affinity Store account then they know your email address there. But they do not know you have a legitimate copy of Designer unless you purchased it from them, which you didn't.

(Starting with 1.9, and the Account feature in the applications, they could know you have a copy. And perhaps, in the future, that will enable them to modify their policies if they choose to do so. But before 1.9 (and you are at 1.8) they don't know anything about your purchase of an app from Apple.)

If you can't convince Apple that you are who you say you are, and that you own a copy of the app you bought from Apple, why should Serif believe anything?

Separate from the Apple Store, back out in the real world, Serif/Affinity know who I am.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

How can Serif do anything about Apple's policies & restrictions for apps sold through the Mac App Store? Serif has no control over that at all.

The way the app is licensed, in two different ways, has nothing to do with Apple.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, deeds said:

The way the app is licensed, in two different ways, has nothing to do with Apple.

Still, your license is with Apple, from whom you purchased. Serif does not know you have the application. 

-- Walt

   Desktop: new:  Windows 11 Home, version 21H2 (22000.613) 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090  (old: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970 )
   Laptop:  Windows 10 Home, version 21H2 (19044.1706) 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
    Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1342 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1342 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 (.1342) and 1.10.5.1282 Beta
 iPad Pro M1, 12.9", iPadOS 15.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard

  Affinity Photo 1.10.5 (.280) and 1.10.2 (.266) Beta / Affinity Designer 1.10.5 (.21) and 1.10.3 (.19) Beta 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
9 hours ago, deeds said:

Nonsense. Affinity knows exactly who I am. Their not being able to do something about it is entirely arbitrary. 

Please see page 87 of the Apple Developer Program License Agreement -

https://developer.apple.com/support/downloads/terms/apple-developer-program/Apple-Developer-Program-License-Agreement-20220606-English.pdf

Quote

Apple does not provide You with access to personal or other data provided by or generated through use of the App Store by other developers; nor does Apple provide other developers with access to personal or other data provided by or generated through Your use of the App Store. Such data sharing would conflict with Apple’s Privacy Policy, and with our customers’ expectations about how Apple treats their data. You can seek to collect information from customers directly, so long as such information is collected in a lawful manner, and You follow the App Store Review Guidelines.

Apple do not provide us with this data, as in their own words above their customers expect security and anonymity, where possible.

22 minutes ago, deeds said:

Separate from the Apple Store, back out in the real world, Serif/Affinity know who I am.

Unfortunately this thread is regarding the Apple iOS app store and a purchase made through this service.

Currently I'm unable to find an Affinity account using the email address associated with your Affinity Forums account.
I can confirm that Walts' previous statements are correct and we have no way to verify any purchase of an iOS app, without using the in-app registration function. This is how Apple has designed and controls the App Store system.

24 minutes ago, deeds said:

The way the app is licensed, in two different ways, has nothing to do with Apple.

When purchasing through the App Store, you are signing an agreement (License) with Apple and control over the application and any purchase or identifying information is specifically safeguarded by Apple and not provided to developers.
As above from the Developer License Agreement, we can seek to collect this information (which is part of the Registration process in-app) but it is not provided to us by Apple, even if we asked for it.

 

I'm certainly sorry to hear you have lost access to your Apple ID account, however this is something that must be raised further with Apple, as we here at Affinity simply cannot access any of the information regarding your Apple ID or previous purchases etc.

I do hope that Apple are able to help you recover this account fully, allowing you to update the Affinity iOS app.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dan C said:

Please see page 87 of the Apple Developer Program License Agreement -

https://developer.apple.com/support/downloads/terms/apple-developer-program/Apple-Developer-Program-License-Agreement-20220606-English.pdf

Apple do not provide us with this data, as in their own words above their customers expect security and anonymity, where possible.

Unfortunately this thread is regarding the Apple iOS app store and a purchase made through this service.

Currently I'm unable to find an Affinity account using the email address associated with your Affinity Forums account.
I can confirm that Walts' previous statements are correct and we have no way to verify any purchase of an iOS app, without using the in-app registration function. This is how Apple has designed and controls the App Store system.

When purchasing through the App Store, you are signing an agreement (License) with Apple and control over the application and any purchase or identifying information is specifically safeguarded by Apple and not provided to developers.
As above from the Developer License Agreement, we can seek to collect this information (which is part of the Registration process in-app) but it is not provided to us by Apple, even if we asked for it.

 

I'm certainly sorry to hear you have lost access to your Apple ID account, however this is something that must be raised further with Apple, as we here at Affinity simply cannot access any of the information regarding your Apple ID or previous purchases etc.

I do hope that Apple are able to help you recover this account fully, allowing you to update the Affinity iOS app.

I don't understand your reading issues.

People at Affinity/Serif know who I am, outside of ANYTHING to do with the Apple Store.

 

not because of the Apple Store.

 

You're defending the company's policy's needlessly. I don't know why. 

 

This is all simple madness. There's a real world, in which real people communicate with one another. Remember that world?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, deeds said:

This is all simple madness. There's a real world, in which real people communicate with one another. Remember that world?

I actually exist in that world. I am writing this note from that world. Here in that world there are things called Software Licences and Legally Binding Agreements. You are bound by Apple's Mac App Store licence. Serif has no idea if you or I have purchased anything from the Mac App Store.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 11.6.8

Affinity Designer 1.10.5 | Affinity Photo 1.10.5 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.5 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, deeds said:

Separate from the Apple Store, back out in the real world, Serif/Affinity know who I am.

Serif know you as a forums member – but apparently not as a client of Affinity, unless you purchased it in their store. As long you did not purchase anything in their store you don't exist as a client in their data base. There is no real person at Serif selling & sending software.

13 minutes ago, deeds said:

This is all simple madness. There's a real world, in which real people communicate with one another.

Apple's software store is entirely digital (and thus only virtual and not physical real). This also applies to Serif's, unless they sell their Affinity Workbooks, for example.

macOS 10.14.6, MacBookPro Retina 15" + Eizo 27"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
15 hours ago, deeds said:

You're defending the company's policy's needlessly. I don't know why. 

It's my job as both Technical Support and a moderator of these Forums to explain and help our users understand Serifs' policies & licensing, amongst other things - especially in a thread where it's being called into question.

15 hours ago, deeds said:

There's a real world, in which real people communicate with one another.

As mentioned, you need to be communicating with Apple support regarding your Apple ID account, as Serif (Affinity) simply isn't provided this information by Apple.

https://support.apple.com/

This thread has been answered, explained and answered again. Therefore I'm locking this thread from further replies - I hope Apple are able to assist you further.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.