You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vertices overlaps and inconsistencies all fixed in later versions? DESIGNER

In 1.8 and earlier, when joining lines, or merging, or boolean operations, most times an extra vertices would be added at the points.

This creates all sorts of problems. Is this fixed?

Known/recognised as an issue?

• Staff

Hi @deeds,

6 hours ago, deeds said:

In 1.8 and earlier, when joining lines, or merging, or boolean operations, most times an extra vertices would be added at the points.

This creates all sorts of problems. Is this fixed?

I can confirm that we have released 2 major update versions since 1.8, with many interim updates between these main version updates. Within these multiple updates, there are a litany of vector & boolean fixes that may address your concerns, but without specific examples it is difficult for me to be certain.

We always recommend using the latest version of the Affinity software, as this is the only version we officially support - I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 6/22/2022 at 8:36 PM, Dan C said:

Hi @deeds,

I can confirm that we have released 2 major update versions since 1.8, with many interim updates between these main version updates. Within these multiple updates, there are a litany of vector & boolean fixes that may address your concerns, but without specific examples it is difficult for me to be certain.

We always recommend using the latest version of the Affinity software, as this is the only version we officially support - I hope this clears things up :)

Have just tried the trial. Can confirm all previous issues with vertices remain.

Is there anyone tasked with making this stuff better? Looking into this?

• Staff

I'm sorry to hear this, if you have a bug to report in the application, this needs to be done in the below section of the forums, so our team can confirm & log these with our development team to be fixed.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/72-report-a-bug-in-affinity-designer/

Please ensure you follow the guidance at the top of this page, when creating your bug report. Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, deeds said:

Why do you ask this?

It's in the question:

We want to know if you are still using 1.8 or any of the several more recently updated versions.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, Dan C said:

I'm sorry to hear this, if you have a bug to report in the application, this needs to be done in the below section of the forums, so our team can confirm & log these with our development team to be fixed.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/72-report-a-bug-in-affinity-designer/

Please ensure you follow the guidance at the top of this page, when creating your bug report. Many thanks in advance!

There were many reports about this over the years.

Who is responsible for vector editing? Do they not have near on a decades worth of this?

It's the same issues I (and many others) reported MANY years ago.

What were the last major updates to resolving vertices during boolean operations?

You can't possibly not know about these things if you do any kind of joining or boolean operations with vector shapes.

17 minutes ago, deeds said:

Why would I be asking the question about newer versions if I was using a newer version?

We don't know if for example you might have used a newer version & then later reverted to using an older one again for some reason. Some users do that & sometimes it causes issues, depending on how they do that.

Basically, if you start off explaining what you are using & why, it makes it easier to see if there is anything related to that worth asking about.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

25 minutes ago, deeds said:

What were the last major updates to resolving vertices during boolean operations?

I believe that 1.9, and 1.10, both made improvements in those areas. Only you will be able to tell if they improved what you're seeing. You should be using the latest version, in my opinion, unless it causes a problem for you that an older version didn't have.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

We don't know if for example you might have used a newer version & then later reverted to using an older one again for some reason. Some users do that & sometimes it causes issues, depending on how they do that.

Basically, if you start off explaining what you are using & why, it makes it easier to see if there is anything related to that worth asking about.

How about you just be forthright about issues with vertices?

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I believe that 1.9, and 1.10, both made improvements in those areas. Only you will be able to tell if they improved what you're seeing. You should be using the latest version, in my opinion, unless it causes a problem for you that an older version didn't have.

Except that I have to BUY that latest version, of something I already own, and am trying to ascertain if there's reasons I should do that.

I've tried the trial, and presuming it's the latest version, all the issues I've previously had (for many years) with vertices are still there, for booleans and joins.

Performance isn't any better, either.

Only thing I have noticed is that I can't open the trial version files in the older version because it's telling me I've used new features. I haven't. 

2 minutes ago, deeds said:

How about you just be forthright about issues with vertices?

Which issues do you mean? Like was just mentioned, there have been improvements made in this area in the later updates but if we do not know which ones you are concerned about or under what circumstances unresolved ones might occur, covering all of that in one topic is a bit much to ask any of us to do.

2 minutes ago, deeds said:

Except that I have to BUY that latest version, of something I already own, and am trying to ascertain if there's reasons I should do that.

??? Are you talking about a version of Affinity or some other app? All the 1.x updates to the Affinity ones are free.

Affinity Photo 

36 minutes ago, R C-R said:

??? Are you talking about a version of Affinity or some other app? All the 1.x updates to the Affinity ones are free

Remember: this is the user who purchased via the MAS and then managed to lose access to their Apple ID, and can't get Apple to restore their access.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

6 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Remember: this is the user who purchased via the MAS and then managed to lose access to their Apple ID, and can't get Apple to restore their access.

I didn't manage to "lose access". Apple locked me out, despite more than a decade with their products, and being an Apple Dev. Changing bank account, from one country to another, triggered the lockout, and they've been unwilling to restore access, despite it being a family account with multiple devices, multiple ways to prove identity, etc.

This shit happens!

"Social Credit Scores" are already here. Just not by that name.

You should begin to come to terms with this. This kind of draconian treatment, with impunity, is coming to everyone via the centralisation of finances, digital ledgers and globalised control of everything, mostly in the name of health and climate.

The dystopia is real, and already here, just not yet knocking on your door. Keep an ear out. They're coming.

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

Which issues do you mean? Like was just mentioned, there have been improvements made in this area in the later updates but if we do not know which ones you are concerned about or under what circumstances unresolved ones might occur, covering all of that in one topic is a bit much to ask any of us to do.

??? Are you talking about a version of Affinity or some other app? All the 1.x updates to the Affinity ones are free.

If you can't access your Apple account any longer, Affinity requires you to purchase another license from them to gain access to updates.

This is odd, in and of itself. Extremely odd. Same user. Same computer. Same app. Same OS version. Different 'licenses' for different points of sale. 

9 hours ago, deeds said:

This is odd, in and of itself. Extremely odd. Same user. Same computer. Same app. Same OS version. Different 'licenses' for different points of sale. 

Serif has no way of knowing you have a license for 1.8 from Apple. Apple does not share customer data with Serif, and Serif nows nothing about sales made for their apps by Apple before 1.9, except how many were sold. (Maybe someday they can change that, for users with 1.9 or later where Serif can tell you have a license from Apple if you've chosen to Register the application.)

-- Walt
PC:

9 hours ago, deeds said:

This curiosity is based a.) on the different contractual partners and b.) on Apple's legal details: Serif pays Apple for the sale of Serif products in the Apple Store -> Apple 'only' earns money by selling a product & without having it actively developed. That's why certain online shops, especially big ones, are often criticised; they tend to be or become monopolists.

Additionally, in your case "same user" is just a statement as long as it is not confirmed by Apple.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

9 hours ago, deeds said:

You should begin to come to terms with this. This kind of draconian treatment, with impunity, is coming to everyone via the centralisation of finances, digital ledgers and globalised control of everything, mostly in the name of health and climate.

Who is this "you" you are talking about? It is Apple, not Serif or any of us, that sets the terms & conditions for all Mac Apple Store purchases. If you buy apps from Apple, you have to accept those terms to make the purchase. If you do not find that acceptable, then don't buy anything from their store.

Affinity Photo 

10 hours ago, deeds said:

If you can't access your Apple account any longer,

… doesn't then Apple / macOS deny a further use of apps which got purchased / installed via the Apple Store and thus affect also your installed v1.8 ?
… if not, why can't you install those updates which are free for the users, like v1.9 and v1.10.?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

9 minutes ago, thomaso said:

doesn't then Apple / macOS deny a further use of apps which got purchased / installed via the Apple Store and thus affect also your installed v1.8 ?

I don't think so. You don't need to be logged-in to the MAS in order to use applications you've downloaded/installed, do you?

-- Walt
PC:

9 minutes ago, thomaso said:

… doesn't then Apple / macOS deny a further use of apps which got purchased / installed via the Apple Store and thus affect also your installed v1.8 ?
… if not, why can't you install those updates which are free for the users, like v1.9 and v1.10.?

You can install updates for Mac apps bought through the MAS only through the MAS app itself, & that requires being able to sign in with your Apple ID & password.

IOW, unlike Affinity apps bought from the Affinity Store, there is no "check for updates" item in the app itself or any way to automatically update to a newer version.

Affinity Photo 

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You don't need to be logged-in to the MAS in order to use applications you've downloaded/installed, do you?

No, but you do need to log into your user account in the MAS app to install updates for any apps you bought through the MAS.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

No, but you do need to log into your user account in the MAS app to install updates for any apps you bought through the MAS.

Right, and thus the problem deeds is facing.

-- Walt
PC: