You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DAUB® Caligo True Vectors?

Unless I’m mistaken, only some of the basic vector brushes in the Affinity applications are 'true' vector brushes (vectors applied to vector curves which can be extracted/converted as vectors), all the rest are raster brushes which can be applied to a vector curve.
I doubt the DAUB Caligo vector brushes are 'true' vector brushes, but I’d be happy to be proved wrong.
Why not contact the originator at info@daub-brushes.com to find out for sure?

26 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Unless I’m mistaken, only some of the basic vector brushes in the Affinity applications are 'true' vector brushes (vectors applied to vector curves which can be extracted/converted as vectors), all the rest are raster brushes which can be applied to a vector curve.
I doubt the DAUB Caligo vector brushes are 'true' vector brushes, but I’d be happy to be proved wrong.
Why not contact the originator at info@daub-brushes.com to find out for sure?

Yes I know that only two brushes are true vector brushes, that's why I ask before buying:-)
And because I would buy from Affinity, I also ask Affinity, as a customer I don't want to have to do the task of asking the manufacturer myself.

I just now saw that I posted in the wrong subforum...sorry!

I can't move my posting myself, please to mods to do so.

15 minutes ago, dmtp14 said:

And because I would buy from Affinity, I also ask Affinity, as a customer I don't want to have to do the task of asking the manufacturer myself.

These are primarily user forums, so only someone who has already purchased these brushes would be able to answer your question for certain. I appreciate it might be a bit of extra effort, but it you want further details about a particular, third party, product, it would probably be better to ask the actual creator of the product. 🙂

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

8 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

These are primarily user forums, so only someone who has already purchased these brushes would be able to answer your question for certain. I appreciate it might be a bit of extra effort, but it you want further details about a particular, third party, product, it would probably be better to ask the actual creator of the product. 🙂

Well, one of the moderators might know the answer, and there is strong participation from them, too. :) 

Or even @paolo.limoncelli might provide an answer, if he's around.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The Caligo brushes are Raster brushes...

image.png.02934b589c5d9840559ee242890ab47f.png

I think with regards to the vector brushes, the ad should not be ambiguous, it should clearly state the nature of the vector brush as in true vector or raster based texture. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I think with regards to the vector brushes, the ad should not be ambiguous, it should clearly state the nature of the vector brush as in true vector or raster based texture. 

considering the nature of the majority of affinity vector brushes the probability is they are raster based on a vector curve, but as I've said this should be stated in the sales blurb else it can be misleading.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Rather than a lot of guesswork, I can't help feeling GarryP's suggestion to simply ask for the information from the originator of the brushes would be the quickest and easiest way to get the info! 🙂

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

From.a quick test the Caligo Strokes seem to be standard Designer vector brushes, with a stretched image, not true vector.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sorry, I keep missing text which is written under images in these forums.
It tends to ‘merge’ with the signatures and I often don’t see it.

Anyway, I think the problem here is the whole “Serif call them vector brushes” thing, which is another story discussed in other threads already.
No point going for another roundabout ride here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2021 at 4:07 PM, dmtp14 said:

thanks to all for joining this thread...in case I learn that those 12 are true vectors (which I also doubt and Walt's quick test probably showed) I will post it here! 

I’m sure you’re well aware of the nature of the “vector” affinity brushes (the vector brush tool doesn’t support true vectors) but in case you’re still “unsure”, I have bought the DAUB Caligo set and they are, as 100% expected, raster elements applied on vector curves.

I know you’re not doing raster work but just for the sake of saying it, if anyone else wonders if they’re any good, these are probably the best nibs and inks brushes in affinity store. The dries and blenders are fantastic too.

All the best!

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

14 hours ago, kafkatamura said:

I’m sure you’re well aware of the nature of the “vector” affinity brushes (the vector brush tool doesn’t support true vectors) but in case you’re still “unsure”, I have bought the DAUB Caligo set and they are, as 100% expected, raster elements applied on vector curves.

I know you’re not doing raster work but just for the sake of saying it, if anyone else wonders if they’re any good, these are probably the best nibs and inks brushes in affinity store. The dries and blenders are fantastic too.

All the best!

thanks!

Hi there!

Yes vector strokes are mapped rasters, but it is the way that Affinity conceived them.

There is no way to create "vector" mapped strokes at this stage... 

Anyway... I've created them as "vectors", so once mapping vectors along a a path will be possible, I'll update for sure in a rather quick way.

Here some "bare bones", the top version is the source, then baked to raster.

image.png.5165f37816ecc03a61b288d6f94ed8a3.png

Confidently use them in your professional projects since these sources are hi-res files (the stroke above is 1024px wide, source is even bigger).

I'm using "Vector Stroke" in description to mean "Vector Persona Brushes"...

Any creator out there does it, but if this is confusing, please tell me I'll ask Store managers to change it.

Cheers,

Paolo

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

On 12/8/2021 at 11:35 AM, paolo.limoncelli said:

Anyway... I've created them as "vectors", so once mapping vectors along a a path will be possible, I'll update for sure in a rather quick way.

Great stuff Paolo - really look forward to this ability - as always, great brush packs

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk